HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
===
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Last edited by rancherpete; Jul 31, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:24 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
This is most definitely an EMI problem. 30+ years as an aerospace systems engineer has given me the experience to show such confidence. What I found, regardless of what software version is loaded, is that you simply can't have the HFG board anywhere close to being directly over the camera, unless it is 7-8 inches away. If you move the board behind the camera, you can get the board a lot closer to the camera body. Different cameras seem to affect the board more than others. For me, my NEX-5R caused the least amount of problems. I could get the board to within 4-5", as long as it was at least diagonally behind the camera. The RX100, on the other hand, has to be 5-6" away. The worst case, for me, is the PJ710V camcorder. It needs to be 6-7".

What we are doing now with our new AG500, AG600 and AG700 gimbals is, we now have a small built-in platform for the HF Gimbal board that is in the top-back portion of the gimbal, above the roll axis assembly. You'd think the servos would be a problem, but they are not. I can physically attach the board to the servo case, and it won't cause an issue. Anyway, I've attached a few pics of our current setups.

The following two videos illustrate with my two most problematic cameras, the RX100 and the PJ710V, that I do not have a yaw coupling problem with either setup.

The second video ends in a crash, due to a complete power loss. I was using an EzOSD current measuring module and it went t_ts up.

AG550v2 RX 2 Axis Gimbal Test 11 (4 min 32 sec)

AG700 PJ 2 Axis Gimbal Test 02 (2 min 24 sec)

The platform, one of our "Lobster" Y6 setups, ended up crashing through some trees, and got lodged in some branches about 6 feet up. The only damage, however, was one broken Zinger prop, a broken Naza GPS mast and an arm that twisted about 20 degrees. The gimbal (an AG700...) and the camera were fine, as was the HFG board.

Anyway, if you have this EMI-based yaw issue, try moving the board backwards and make sure it is 6-7" away.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
483 Posts
Help Needed Please

I just got the Hover Fly today and am having some problems. I can connect via usb to the computer and everything can be configured. When I unplug and plug in my battery, I get no power at all. If I plug in the battery and then connect the usb cable to the computer both servos work. What am I missing? It almost seems like it is looking for a transmitter to communicate with it. Anyone have any ideas? I have been at this all afternoon and don't know what else I can check.

Jerry
jerrymeister is online now Find More Posts by jerrymeister
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:32 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,227 Posts
@GGoodrum:
I think AL needs to talk to FU if ya catch my drift.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...176&query=Pink
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Hi all,

i just setup the HFboard and had the same horizon problem.
I then just reset the the center point in the servo konfiguration back to default
(1.5000). The horizon stays normal again while yawing. I just need to center the roll mechanically. For me this solved the horizon issue.

But i got another problem.(AV200 / 360)
Turning on the HFboard the pan starts to spin slowly. I can stop it by trimming it with the TX.
any ideas on that?
Cobda is offline Find More Posts by Cobda
Last edited by Cobda; Nov 09, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
483 Posts
Uanswered question, please help

Is anyone seeing this post? I can't believe someone doesn't have an idea on this problem and thank you Hoverfly for getting back to me today on this. Now the weekend and I suppose I will have to wait until next week to get any help. Not impressed with customer support so far.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeister View Post
I just got the Hover Fly today and am having some problems. I can connect via usb to the computer and everything can be configured. When I unplug and plug in my battery, I get no power at all. If I plug in the battery and then connect the usb cable to the computer both servos work. What am I missing? It almost seems like it is looking for a transmitter to communicate with it. Anyone have any ideas? I have been at this all afternoon and don't know what else I can check.

Jerry
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,227 Posts
Get used to it or get a Radian like I did.
Fair weather support if you ask me. i.e. they don't respond to the difficult faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeister View Post
Is anyone seeing this post? I can't believe someone doesn't have an idea on this problem and thank you Hoverfly for getting back to me today on this. Now the weekend and I suppose I will have to wait until next week to get any help. Not impressed with customer support so far.

Jerry
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
483 Posts
Actually they were extremely helpful in the end and we resolved the issue.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobda View Post
Hi all,

i just setup the HFboard and had the same horizon problem.
I then just reset the the center point in the servo konfiguration back to default
(1.5000). The horizon stays normal again while yawing. I just need to center the roll mechanically. For me this solved the horizon issue.
Well, that was too quick. I recalibrated the board and flashed the 1.7. firmware.
IŽam back to the old horizon problem.
IŽll flash the 1.3 and see if there is improvement. But itŽs kind of annoying.

Is there anybody out there who got this thing working? And could this person please tell everybody exactly what he did. There must be something iŽam missing with the setup.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
483 Posts
I just got mine up for the first time this morning, so I will keep an eye on this and see if mine is doing it. Maybe too early to tell, but I did a couple of 360's and it seemed to remain level, so we will see.

Jerry

Quote:
Well, that was too quick. I recalibrated the board and flashed the 1.7. firmware.
IŽam back to the old horizon problem.
IŽll flash the 1.3 and see if there is improvement. But itŽs kind of annoying.

Is there anybody out there who got this thing working? And could this person please tell everybody exactly what he did. There must be something iŽam missing with the setup.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Did you see my post above, with examples??
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Did you see my post above, with examples??
Of course i did .But iŽam having this issue without a camera mounted. There are no servos next to it.
The only thing is the battery and the RX. Could this cause EMI problems??

You can see it in the attachment. Pretty bad picture, but i try to save energy

And what does your pitch, roll heading and heading lock looks like in the general tab in the software?
IŽam having trouble to bring roll and pitch to 0. ItŽs close but..... (0,30/0,25)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Of course i did .But iŽam having this issue without a camera mounted. There are no servos next to it.
The only thing is the battery and the RX. Could this cause EMI problems??

You can see it in the attachment. Pretty bad picture, but i try to save energy

And what does your pitch, roll heading and heading lock looks like in the general tab in the software?
IŽam having trouble to bring roll and pitch to 0. ItŽs close but..... (0,30/0,25)
I doubt it is the battery, but maybe the receiver. I don't recall, offhand, but I'm pretty sure I have similar numbers for pitch and roll. The only other thing I can think of is how the board orientation is set. What are you using?

In any case, I'd try moving the board. You might also try a horizontal orientation.

-- Gary
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
The only other thing I can think of is how the board orientation is set. What are you using?

In any case, I'd try moving the board. You might also try a horizontal orientation.

-- Gary
I set it as right-front .
I also was thinking of trying to set it up somewhere else. In my case the board is on the right side. It doesnt matter which side i yaw. It always loses horizon to the right. So maybe iŽll try a position in the middle.

Matt
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
Bosnia
Joined Dec 2010
107 Posts
Setting up yaw compensation

I have setup yaw compensation and it works but I have a problem with very small movement as it has rapid stop ( like it is cutting ) but if I move it along the axes continiously it works well !
What should I work on to get rid of this issue ?
darkovujasinovic is online now Find More Posts by darkovujasinovic