HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
It might be easier just to turn the sucker upside down and give it the full welly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=p54WaGqhLPY#!
What the ......................... ????
I thought he actually took off with it upside down and after he got off the ground, he'd flip it over and fly it "right side up". I had no idea that was already the proper way up. I suppose you could take an X8 and add long lower winglets to act as landing gear and a long front nose gear like in that vid.
I'm still quite happy to hand toss my X8 with a glove on my throwing hand. The double handed overhead throw just seems rather dangerous and awkward. A helmet is a must but then, if you catch the prop on the way out, the X8 is likely to come down in an untimely fashion.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2006
103 Posts
Can't seem to find it in this thread any more, but I saw a reference to a fuel cell unit for RC use and here it is:

http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/hobby_rc.htm

Supposedly an LP version is in the works. Imagine filling a small tank with fuel and getting hours of flight time! This system could be an avenue to giving the X8 much longer flights times without adding a lot more weight. If someone already suggested this earlier in the thread, good suggestion!
UncleMatt is offline Find More Posts by UncleMatt
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
I have been watching horizon for a while... cells are very heavy for the power output and very expensive...

maybe in 5 years.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
X8 up for 3rd flight with correct CG.
Onboard video and also from a chase plan... Enjoy...

X8 FPV RC plane 2 (9 min 12 sec)

Please also join my x8 build on face book if you have not yet done so.
www.facebook.com/groups/projectbigbird

Thanks.
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,936 Posts
That was a scary launch. You got lucky it didn't tip stall straight into the ground.
For whatever it's worth the X8 does not like to be launched without power, but I also would
never let anyone else throw it with power.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
That was a scary launch. You got lucky it didn't tip stall straight into the ground.
For whatever it's worth the X8 does not like to be launched without power, but I also would
never let anyone else throw it with power.

ian
Yes, but I did not want Joe to lose a finger... It was windy, so it was not too bad... Any how, just need to tune the apm now...

Do you wand launch your own..?

Cheers Ian.
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
After seeing X8 come in hot and flip on landing in the above vid and myself knowing it needs some space to slow down, I had an idea pop into my head. An airbrake ( Yes, I know we have had talk about spoilers and Brakes on the fins at the end of the wings) on center line of the fuse - specifically on the hatch. Of course you would need latch on the hatch to keep it from being pulled off. I'm thinking something on the order of what you see on a F-15. You would still have control yaw, roll, and pitch of the plane (that's my theory). Has anyone tried this?

geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
After seeing X8 come in hot and flip on landing in the above vid and myself knowing it needs some space to slow down, I had an idea pop into my head. An airbrake ( Yes, I know we have had talk about spoilers and Brakes on the fins at the end of the wings) on center line of the fuse - specifically on the hatch. Of course you would need latch on the hatch to keep it from being pulled off. I'm thinking something on the order of what you see on a F-15. You would still have control yaw, roll, and pitch of the plane (that's my theory). Has anyone tried this? Does this idea suck?

geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
Can't seem to find it in this thread any more, but I saw a reference to a fuel cell unit for RC use and here it is:

http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/hobby_rc.htm

Supposedly an LP version is in the works. Imagine filling a small tank with fuel and getting hours of flight time! This system could be an avenue to giving the X8 much longer flights times without adding a lot more weight. If someone already suggested this earlier in the thread, good suggestion!
looks class that. when developed further it could be a game changer
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Greece, Attica, Piraeus
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
I have actually done this so don't do it as it is messy.
If you look at the pictures i posted you will find that my hatch has a big square opening at 1/3 from it's end and it is glassed.
The reason is that it is too big for an airbrake and if you want to convert it as an airbrake you need to cut it in half (lengthwise) so it will swivell at CG.
Another better idea is to mount a small parachute (12 to 20 inches) for air braking or better use the servoless airbrakes from Hobbyking.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Left_Side.html
Chris
hendrix is offline Find More Posts by hendrix
Last edited by hendrix; Nov 16, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geives1 View Post
After seeing X8 come in hot and flip on landing in the above vid and myself knowing it needs some space to slow down, I had an idea pop into my head. An airbrake ( Yes, I know we have had talk about spoilers and Brakes on the fins at the end of the wings) on center line of the fuse - specifically on the hatch. Of course you would need latch on the hatch to keep it from being pulled off. I'm thinking something on the order of what you see on a F-15. You would still have control yaw, roll, and pitch of the plane (that's my theory). Has anyone tried this? Does this idea suck?

This works really well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5943
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
failure is not an option
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
<object width="568" height="320"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/4443748185397"></param><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/4443748185397" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="568" height="320"></embed></object>

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....35475156515105
http://www.facebook.com/v/4443748185397

a dolly (or cart) for my x8 take-off
on-board the dolly, there are a rx binded on same radio, with a servo on ch.4, rudder, unused on x8
so, I can line-up during taxing and take-off
of course, sound is from another plane.... ;-)
peppe_i8uza is offline Find More Posts by peppe_i8uza
Last edited by peppe_i8uza; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Guys, i know some of you like Facebook, but there are a lot of us on here that refuse to join and therefore can't see your great achievements. Please post them somewhere in the open. (YouTube, Vimeo, or a direct link)
Jeff Watt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Watt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
X8 launching

Hi Guys

Im 99% certain that the X8 is what a want for my next FPV platform. the one small concern I have is when it comes to launching. Iv seen lots of videos with launchers and retracts which I am not interseted in at all. Im not going to carry a launcher everywhere I go and I want to be able to launch and land anywhere.

Iv also seen lots of guys hand launching it. If you have someone with you they can launch it for you. but is it actually possible to hand launch the X8 yourself with a fair amount of payload (FPV equipment, etc). Is it recommended? I have seen guys do it on videos but I dont know what their payload is like.

One other issue I have is that prop looks like it could come dangerously close too your hand during launching. my Funjet's prop even freaks my out. Is this something to be majorly concerned about?
brettbb is offline Find More Posts by brettbb
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
failure is not an option
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
sorry, Jeff
I'll do....
u can see clicking on url, without join facebook
(I haven't the original file right now, sorry)
peppe_i8uza is offline Find More Posts by peppe_i8uza