SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
I checked the 2A charger I have been happily using for my #11, its marked cct-001, nothing else, probably from my previous gps. Current garmin 1A charger also works fine, is spec at 4.75-5.25v.

I looked again at isoprops battery post, but couldn't see the charge amps mentioned, as I recall its about 300ma?? A USB which cannot reach that might not charge, possibly because of voltage sag.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I think this depends on if that little board inside the battery pack is limiting the amps to the battery or not. Or just is it just stopping the charge at 4.2V.
But if it's the same than the little board is controlling the input to the battery and you are right there is no problem.
Remember they have lowered the charging rate on the #16 camera because of the #11 charging the battery to fast and causing a early failing of the battery. So they must be controlling the charge rate if they can do this...
I think something is being overlooked. The circuit board pic in post #2 that I copied from one of the original eBay web pages shows the #11 has a small IC (part number 2YL6) designated as "battery charger management" on the MAIN circuit board, which presumably controls the charge. I haven't tried to identify what that component actually does... maybe someone here can look it up. The assumption was it did a proper CC/CV charge cycle for the lipo, but now we know the charge current was too high for the on-board battery (according to the developer). But any STANDARD USB charger would still use that circuit, so should charge exactly the same. It is only the SPECIAL cable that bypasses that charging circuit and connects in parallel directly with the battery in the #11 at it's main circuit board connection points, so only the small circuit board wrapped in the battery tab tape has any protection for the cell. The IC on that board was identified on one of the #16 batteries as a DW0M1 chip (see attached data sheet details). The #11 batteries MAY have the same chip... haven't checked. That IC does have an over-current protection trip, but I think it's only active on battery discharge (to protect the cell if tabs are shorted). Not sure about that... someone here can probably figure it out.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I think this depends on ...
I defer to your superior training, knowledge and insight.
Mike
(electronics engineer, active 1955-2005).
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
I believe this is the USB cable in your photos.. It is the same as my Sanyo Xacti series video camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Data-Tra...item2ebacbc431

Hope this helps,
Mfpage

QUOTE=wacbzz;20682117]I guess this is where my confusion lies...the "special" cable must - according to the first photo in post 2093 - have a 5 pin mini end and a 4 pin regular USB end.

Here are the two ends of the cable that came with the GP -

Mini end:

Regular USB end:

The mini end has 5 pins and the regular end has four pins - just like the photo illustration shows that it's supposed to have.

In fact, every regular>mini USB cable that I have (a total of four) has the same configuration.

Perhaps I should just order the #16...[/QUOTE]
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I think something is being overlooked. The circuit board pic in post #2 that I copied from one of the original eBay web pages shows the #11 has a small IC (part number 2YL6) designated as "battery charger management" on the MAIN circuit board.....
Found this on the Web

From Shenzhen and Lin Microelectronics

Supply of single lithium battery charge IC: 2YC1 2YC2 2YC3 2YC4 2YC5 2YC6 2YC7 2YL1 2YL2 2YL3
2YL4 2YL5 2YL6 2YL7 2YL8 2YL9
Package: SOT23-5
Output voltage: less than or equal to 4.2V
Main features:
Programmable charge current: 600Ma
Charge mode: constant current, constant voltage, constant temperature
Charge status indicator: You can drive LED or microcontroller interface
Input power failure, automatically enter a low power sleep mode
Battery voltage is low, the automatic use of small current pre-charge mode
Agency Distribution: charging IC, DC-DC step-up IC, DC-DC step-down IC, LDO regulator IC
Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Feb 14, 2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: supplier & package
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Found this on the Web

From Shenzhen and Lin Microelectronics

Supply of single lithium battery charge IC: 2YC1 2YC2 2YC3 2YC4 2YC5 2YC6 2YC7 2YL1 2YL2 2YL3
2YL4 2YL5 2YL6 2YL7 2YL8 2YL9
Package: SOT23-5
Output voltage: less than or equal to 4.2V
Main features:
Programmable charge current: 600Ma
Charge mode: constant current, constant voltage, constant temperature
Charge status indicator: You can drive LED or microcontroller interface
Input power failure, automatically enter a low power sleep mode
Battery voltage is low, the automatic use of small current pre-charge mode
Agency Distribution: charging IC, DC-DC step-up IC, DC-DC step-down IC, LDO regulator IC
Mike
Thanks, Mike! Now we know exactly what it does (as we guessed)! I wonder how the charge current is "programmed"? i.e. can it be modified in an existing #11 camera to lower it's charge rate to give batteries a longer cycle life?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Mike! Now we know exactly what it does (as we guessed)! I wonder how the charge current is "programmed"? i.e. can it be modified in an existing #11 camera to lower it's charge rate to give batteries a longer cycle life?
Working from previous (7 years old) stuff, I'd guess a resistor, or pair of resistors.

5 pin device, say :-
power in 2 pins
output 1 pin
Status 1 pin
prog 1 pin

Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Feb 14, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling & pinout
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Random quality ?

Hello,
I'm quite disappointed. Got a #11 from power-gps (ebay member) last christmas, and most of the video/pictures are like watched from a wolf's eyes.
There is no way to take something acceptable with my device.
Tryed 4 firmwares (with or without time stamp), and nothing changed.

The webcam mode is not working much better : I found no way to lower the resolution or to set anything up.
Windows live messenger manages to do something with it (when I start a web chat, I works), but the audio/video setup is not functioning (it shows the video in 720p, that is too much : USB cannot handle it. And I get grayed control window when I click [webcam settings...]).
Is there is no setup of the webcam mode ?
I'm using xp sp3.
fiduce is offline Find More Posts by fiduce
Last edited by fiduce; Feb 15, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:30 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Mar 2009
54 Posts
Actually it's a single resistor from PROG to GND (Vss, pin2), I(bat) = Vprog/Rprog*1000, Vprog=1.03V@Rprog=10k. So 10k resistor should give a nice and relaxing 100mA charge current well below 1C. I'm afraid long recording with external 5V supplied through standard USB cable will be impossible as the circuit draws more.
crazy4volvo is offline Find More Posts by crazy4volvo
Last edited by crazy4volvo; Feb 15, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:10 AM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,097 Posts
Hi guys, glad I found this thread...

I have an 808 Cam #7 and worked fine during the first week and unexpectedly and for reasons I do not know, suddenly the charge light doesnt come on when I plug it into the USB, incidentally the casing becomes really warm in just about 30seconds..

I opened it up and found that the chip (dunno what kind it is) right under the usb port is the one getting HOT!

Any one familiar with it?

Thanks for the help guys
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongskie View Post
Hi guys, glad I found this thread...

I have an 808 Cam #7 and worked fine during the first week and unexpectedly and for reasons I do not know, suddenly the charge light doesnt come on when I plug it into the USB, incidentally the casing becomes really warm in just about 30seconds..

I opened it up and found that the chip (dunno what kind it is) right under the usb port is the one getting HOT!

Any one familiar with it?

Thanks for the help guys
Right question wrong thread. This thread is dedicated to the #11. The only thing your 7 has in common with the 11 is the plastic case. You could try chucklohr.com
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiduce View Post
Hello,
I'm quite disappointed. Got a #11 from power-gps (ebay member) last christmas, and most of the video/pictures are like watched from a wolf's eyes.
There is no way to take something acceptable with my device.
Tryed 4 firmwares (with or without time stamp), and nothing changed.

The webcam mode is not working much better : I found no way to lower the resolution or to set anything up.
Windows live messenger manages to do something with it (when I start a web chat, I works), but the audio/video setup is not functioning (it shows the video in 720p, that is too much : USB cannot handle it. And I get grayed control window when I click [webcam settings...]).
Is there is no setup of the webcam mode ?
I'm using xp sp3.
Maybe you can post a short link to your video clip so we know what it's like to "watch from a wolf's eyes!

The webcam resolution can be changed, but you do that from within the webcam program you are using, not directly with the camera. I don't know how WLM handles that on an XP machine. Normally the webcam capture program will have a "settings" or "options" menu for the selected webcam device to change the resolution via the camera "Video PIN" settings. I have slow/locked up video in 720p mode with this camera even on a fairly fast current technology PC, but switching to 640x480 remedies that. The #16 performs much better, even in 720p webcam mode on my PC.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4volvo View Post
Actually it's a single resistor from PROG to GND (Vss, pin2), I(bat) = Vprog/Rprog*1000, Vprog=1.03V@Rprog=10k. So 10k resistor should give a nice and relaxing 100mA charge current well below 1C. I'm afraid long recording with external 5V supplied through standard USB cable will be impossible as the circuit draws more.
Thanks for posting the data sheet... I wish I could read Chinese! I'll take your word that it's accurate for the 2YL6 IC in the camera. I didn't quite see how you came up with the Vprog value from what little I could make out in the data sheet.

Anyway, I have attached a picture of the circuit board showing what I think is the target resistor you mention, in the even someone wants to do a mod. Maybe you can verify the correct component is circled?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:49 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Mar 2009
54 Posts
The Vprog is shown in the table on page 4 (I believe ). My #11 is v3, yours is v2 so the layout is slightly different, but I'm pretty sure the resistor you marked is Rprog. I did some quick measurements: in-circuit measured resistance is 3.25k, Vprog in charge state is 0.855V so the charging current should be about 260 mA. It's 1C - my lipo is marked 250 mAh. I'll be able to do some more tests on weekend.

regards, Luke
crazy4volvo is offline Find More Posts by crazy4volvo
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for posting the data sheet... I wish I could read Chinese!...
Google will translate the Chinese words/sentences pretty well, but it is very tedious to to everything by hand

I'm looking forward to crazy4volvo's investigations.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Closed Thread