HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2014
23 Posts
Question
F3a trainer

Anyone know any f3a trainer? (I dont care about the price or brand)
please give me the link of the product. And I would prefer Oxai.

mrmarty is offline Find More Posts by mrmarty
Last edited by mrmarty; Jun 01, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2014, 06:04 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,154 Posts
What is Your previous flight experience?
Do You prefer a full seize 2 x 2 M F3A plane or would a slightly smaller be OK also?

For example F3A unlimited sell Oxai made F3A planes in US.

If it is Your first F3A plane I would select another plane then an Oxai plane and wait to later when You get "warm" and have flown for a while before I would consider a F3A plane in Oxai price range.

Many start flying F3A with planes in "50" seize, if You think that is to small You can step up to around "120" seize (110/120/125). Examples of former is Sebart Wind S 50E, Sebart MythoS 50E, BJ Craft Fantasista 70, Winners Models Axiome 70 EP and Naruke Acuracy 70. Example of later is BJ Craft Fantasista 120, Naruke Asyuler 120 and Sebart MythoS 125E.

If You would like a full 2 x 2M F3A plane and do not want to pay for Oxai quality etc there are many good planes out there. If You live in US check out F3A Unlimited and have a look at the planes they sell. If You must have an Oxai 2 x 2M F3A plane I'm sure an Oxai Galactik EP is hard to go wrong with (but it is really a F3A competition plane) if You prefer a monoplane F3A plane. There is also rather many F3A biplanes today if you would prefer a two wing plane.

I have myself a Sebart Wind S 50E, Sebart MythoS 125E and a Sebart MythoS Pro (2 x 2M). All of them fly very well.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jun 01, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 07:04 PM
Joined Jun 2014
23 Posts
This would be my first f3a airplane and i wouldnt care for size of the airplane. And is the galactik EP a trainer? My previous plane is a Graupner Caravelle and the people at my local flying field told me to get an F3a trainer after the caravelle.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2014
23 Posts
Is the galaktik ep a "trainer" for F3A? And as a biplane would the Citrin be an option? Is it different a smaller airctaft to a 2Mx2M f3a aircraft?
Old Jun 01, 2014, 07:19 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
722 Posts
I think that you are looking at very big jump in terms of performance and piloting skill. Looking at the Caravelle, it looks like an intermediate trainer.

The Oxai airframe will set you back more than $ 5K; by the time you get done getting the rest of the equipment you will be probably be spending another $ 1-2K. Does this really make sense?

If you are interested in aerobatics, I would probably purchase one of the smaller pattern planes and start there. If you want minimal assembly, some of the foam airplanes such as the Olympus or Eflite Splendor are good choices. It is not unusual to loose a plane or two while learning, so I would not be spending too much money on something that has an expiration date.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is online now Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jun 01, 2014, 07:35 PM
Joined Jun 2014
23 Posts
Thanks, but I am trying to not buy or use foam airplanes. do you know any other f3a trainer?
Old Jun 01, 2014, 09:43 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
I have not heard of any F3A "trainer" planes. In Sportsman class, you can fly almost anything 2 meter or smaller. At my last contest, a guy flew an electric "Stick" type plane to a 1st place finish. I currently fly a Hobby King Airoso, an inexpensive 64 inch span F3A plane.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jun 02, 2014, 05:10 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,154 Posts
mrmarty,

So You have a Graupner Carevelle ARF then? Has it glow engine or does it have electric motor?
http://www.graupner.de/filerootdir/d..._rcmw__gb_.pdf

Do You prefer an electric powered F3A plane?
Most entry level F3A planes are electric powered but some can have glow engine also if one prefer.

If I was in your shoes I would probably select a 50 seize F3A plane to start with.
Like Sebart Wind S 50E (it can be Electric powered or as an option there is a glow engine conversion kit to buy for this plane) or similar. I would not jump into a full 2 x 2M F3A plane yet.

If You live in US You have for example Aero-Model and F3A Unlimited that sell Sebart F3A planes.
https://www.aero-model.com/2_152/RC-...plane-Kit.html
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...cPath=124_8_19

For a Sebart Wind S 50e You can select motor, ESC etc (if going electric powered) as recommended by Sebart:
http://www.sebart.it/50E-class.html#WindS50anchor

I would not rule out a foam F3A trainer, the FMS F3A Olympus for example:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...a-olympus.html

/Bo
Old Jun 02, 2014, 06:01 AM
Joined Jun 2014
23 Posts
My graupner caravelle is electric powered and i would prefer electric against glow power.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:50 AM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,001 Posts
Hard to go wrong with an Extreme-Flight Vanquish 2M, $650 airframe, $2000 after you equip it well. Excellent for training, the only thing I recommend is to add a 3/16 ply reinforcement to the gear plate with the grain oriented 90 degrees to the grain of the existing plate to handle the inevitable hard landing as you work to perfect your contest landings.
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:53 AM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,001 Posts
If you want a composite plane as your first plane, the Xtreme composite Griffin or BJ Craft Prolog at $1500 or so for the airframe are good choices. If you haven't done a composite assembly before, make sure you have someone to provide guidance.
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:54 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,030 Posts
If you are able to fly a 2m pattern plane and price is not an object, just buy the 2m plane. Then if you like the pattern world, you are set. You will not need to move up, learn a new airframe, etc.
90% of the performance is the pilot. Like the post above, a guy won with an ugly stick! It is all about eye-hand-eye coordination. I say it like that since you fly the plane, WATCH what it does in each maneuver, tell your HANDs to fix it the next time, then WATCH again. You do this over and over and over. Once you practice enough, and if you are fortunate enough to have some given talent, most any plane that you fly will look great in the air. You will understand what it takes to make the plane do what YOU want it do to.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Jun 02, 2014, 10:05 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
If you are able to fly a 2m pattern plane and price is not an object, just buy the 2m plane. Then if you like the pattern world, you are set. You will not need to move up, learn a new airframe, etc.
90% of the performance is the pilot. Like the post above, a guy won with an ugly stick! It is all about eye-hand-eye coordination. I say it like that since you fly the plane, WATCH what it does in each maneuver, tell your HANDs to fix it the next time, then WATCH again. You do this over and over and over. Once you practice enough, and if you are fortunate enough to have some given talent, most any plane that you fly will look great in the air. You will understand what it takes to make the plane do what YOU want it do to.
You nailed it.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jun 02, 2014, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,154 Posts
It is good suggestions above and of course if money is no problem why not start with a full 2 x 2M plane. But personally I prefer more step by step approach. Extreme Flight Vanquish 2M plane I have seen flown at several F3A competitions in my country and it flies really well when trimmed in etc in hands of a good pilot. If You go with a full 2 x 2M plane remember most of them are not built to take much abuse like hard landings and such. They are built to be strong for what they are designed for - fly precise manouvers. It can be easy to break gear mounting plywood in fuselage if hard landing, a glassfiber gear leg or a wing dropped low on landing touching the ground can damage wing and or fuselage. Fragile maybe not the right word but You have to be little careful with these planes.

If You feel F3A flying style is your "thing" and know it is in that direction You would progress in flying so maybe a full 2 x 2 M plane can work for You. I would not do so if my only previous flying experience was mostly on a Graupner Caravelle or similar plane. But that is me and based on my past experience and the fact I prefer more step by step approach to progress in flying and the selection of planes.

Hope You find a plane that You feel is right for You.

/Bo
Old Jun 02, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2014
23 Posts
What is the difference between a 2M plane and a smaller one?