HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:10 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
166 Posts
Hello
again I'm new not only to edfs but to flying as well. I have had mostly successful flights and landings since I have started. My Dynam A-10 was the one that crashed burned as indicated above.
I have a couple questions and have some a few searches and read through a few pages between this thread and the other one I found on the Dynam A-10. this one seams to have gotten me closest to answering my questions, so I'll pose them here.

1 What are the little PC boards in between the throttle Y and the ECS?

2 In the instruction the ECS are shown to have Switching BEC's installed already, if thats is the case and them come stock all connected, is it still recommended to cut one of the ECS's Red wires on the throttle control?

3 I'm trying to balance it out, is a little nose heavy at 70-75mm still a good CG or is 80-82mm seam to be better?

After my last flight and all I have been doing to rebuild this baby I would like to have a much better second flight ;}

Thanks for your help.
Gravy
Gravythe Clown is offline Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:45 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
2nd Flight Report

I have spray painted (white foam safe spray can from ACE Hardware..US) the bottom of the wing and the horizontal stab with two coats of white matte color. I flew again last weekend and it flew great again...except this time I can see it much better with the white contrast. I would have liked to paint all bottom white but it would be too much masking and taping...I was worried enough about the Blue Tape pulling some of paint off,which a tiny bit did pull off, even though I was super careful to put in on very lightly.

On 35C-4S-2650, it flew quickly and with authority. Like before, I backed off to 60% or so and it was great. The battery came down with 3.7v per cell after 3.5 minutes and was barely warm to the touch.

I put a 30C-3S-2650 in it and it BARELY took off at all...I just made one circuit and put it down immediately. The battery was old enough that one cell was sagging (I tested it on the ground afterwards). So I still don't know how it flies on 3S.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:42 AM
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbypartz View Post
The Dynam A-10 Thunderbolt II also known as "The Warthog" is an American single-seat, twin-engine, straight-wing jet aircraft designed to provide close air support of ground forces. The A-10 earned its reputation as the "Tank Buster" with its assortment of lethal air to ground armaments effectively annihilation enemy ground forces and reinforcements. It was the first USAF aircraft designed exclusively for close air support.

The Dynam A-10 has been an awesome flying machine in the Dynam Fleet. Dynam decided to upgrade this bird with servo-less retracts. The A-10 has superb maneuverability even at low speeds and altitude, this is due to its large wing area, high wing aspect ratio, and large ailerons. This design also enables short takeoffs and landings, allowing it to operate from the smallest and most basic airfields. This model gets power from two 64mm electric ducted fan units and comes 90% Ready To Fly. All Servos, motors, receiver, and other electronics are preinstalled from factory. Like all the planes in the Dynam range, the Dynam A-10 is constructed of quality EPO foam and finished to a high standard that represents an excellent replica of the real aircraft.

This ready to fly version comes with a Dynam 2.4ghz radio system and a 11.1v 2200mah 25c Li-Po battery. Twin 40A electronics speed controllers provide power to the twin 64mm 3300kv ducted fan units. You will need to complete assembly of the plane to get this plane ready for flight.

Specifications:
Wing span: 1080mm
Total Length:995mm
Flying weight: 1000g
Construction: EPO
Servo:9g
Battery:11.1V 2200mAh 25C Li-Po
ESC:40A x 2
Power: 2 x Brushless 64mm EDF/KV:3300 x 2

Required to Fly:
Assembly of Plane
8 AA batteries for Radio System

Buy the A10 RC Plane by Dynam here at Nitroplanes http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...-eretract.html
I have not tried the product, but i have looked quite a bit for a 4CH A-10 for a good price and it seems that this is the best deal. I am happy it has rudders because many fairly in expensive A-10s do not. Also it is a good size and has a airframe for people buying their second or third rc plane. The A-10 has a nice glide ratio and able to perform high g's in addition to being stable. Also its two engines should provide plenty of power for clear and windy days.
barry777 is offline Find More Posts by barry777
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:49 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
It does NOT have rudders...the 4th channel is steerable nose wheel. But many have put rudders on it...not too big a deal.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2014, 09:33 AM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
It does NOT have rudders...the 4th channel is steerable nose wheel. But many have put rudders on it...not too big a deal.

Russ
I added ruder onto mine and had someone with lots of more flying experience than me fly it this weekend. He didn't even use it. I asked him to try it out and when he did it made the bird roll, not like Left or Right stick Aileron but more but way more than on any of my prop jobs. Looks nice but don't know how much I'll use it really. curious to see when I bring it in with a cross wind though.
Gravythe Clown is offline Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:03 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Yes that's about the only time I would use them too and this bird is wind sensitive on landings. I generally won't fly it if it's 12 mph or more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:05 AM
It's so peaceful...down...here
Equality, Alabama
Joined Dec 2006
66 Posts
Maidened mine yesterday.Wind was 5-10 mph gusting 15 at times. Take off on rough grass was in about 40 feet. Climbed out very nice. A little up elevator trim and a click or two of aileron and she was flying straight and level. CG was set at 75mm. Definately need to mix some up elevator with the throttle as it tends to nose over with full power. Landing was great. Cut throttle, hit the glide slope, and at about 3 feet elevation I pulled back on the stick. It flaired very nice and slowed to a crawl. Keep your airspeed up on landing though because it drops out of the air like a sack of rocks around 10-15 mph. It's a very nice plane and flys excellent. Bigger batteries would give more speed, but if I want speed I'll unload the F-16.
stagefivedrift is offline Find More Posts by stagefivedrift
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:11 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Congrats Stage5!

She is sweet with 4S-35C-3300 LiPo in there!
It SURELY does drop like a rock when power is reduced but as you pointed out if will flare nicely.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:05 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Nose gear retract troubles

The first nose gear servo burned out within the first two flights. I got this replacement from Hobby King:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=28975

It worked fine for about 4 flight and then intermittently would not go down after being in the air. Now it just quit entirely.

I had three spares of retract above and I installed the first one and it just clicked and never retracted...tore it apart and nothing looked bad...put it back together and still just clicked. The motor on the servo was hot to the touch though. The second one worked fine...twice and then just die the clicking thing. The third one appears good for now. I cycled it about 10 times and it worked flawlessly. The way I installed strut was just took the whole trunion out of the original retract with the struct still attached with c-clamp to it and moved it from retract to retract. Saved headache of getting that c-clamp thingy off and on each time, what a pain.

Anyway, appears to be working for now. Will see how it does in flight next time.

Happy strafing...Russ

P.S. I also used the steering mechanism that came with original setup with new retracts.
RCG Plus Member