SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined Jun 2009
33 Posts
Discussion
Snap on/Clip on Spreaders

I am looking to buy or fabricate a set of spreaders that I can clip onto a flat sided aluminum mast. I want to be able to clip it on the mast for sailing, but be able to remove it quickly for transport. Does something like this exist? If not, how about some suggestions as to how to make one. I would think that some type of plastic or thin metal clip device with integral spreader arms or short posts for spreader bar mounting would work. Any input?
Rider/Writer is offline Find More Posts by Rider/Writer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:20 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,151 Posts
Not sure what class boat we are discussing, but on my 36/600 and my one meter, I use a solid brass rod through the mast, with brass tubes that slip over each side. I do need to loosen my diamond wires slightly to provide the ability to slip the wires out of the slots at end of spreader, and then remove the spreader tubes. The solid rod though the mast only sticks out about 3/4 of an inch on each side and is used primarily to position the tube spreaders. This allows me to put the mast inside a 2 inch PVC tube to prevent breaking.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
More for round masts

http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...products_id=35
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 03, 2013, 12:17 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
yep,what they said...
I just redid my spreaders on a 58" hull, I put a piece of 4/40 threaded rod thru
the wood mast,slipped the stay tangs over that,put a nut on each side .
the spreaders themselves are 5/32'' alum tube from K&S
why? because I had all that in stock to use.
brass tube over rod or threaded rod is good also.
to keep the stays at the end of the spreader I use a cotter pin, opens up to
go over the stay wire, then into the alum tube. I used a half teardrop of JB
Weld to hold the cotter pin into the tube end.
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Not sure what class boat we are discussing, but on my 36/600 and my one meter, I use a solid brass rod through the mast, with brass tubes that slip over each side. I do need to loosen my diamond wires slightly to provide the ability to slip the wires out of the slots at end of spreader, and then remove the spreader tubes. The solid rod though the mast only sticks out about 3/4 of an inch on each side and is used primarily to position the tube spreaders. This allows me to put the mast inside a 2 inch PVC tube to prevent breaking.
Pictures please
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen