HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Help!
XT60 Soldering

Can anyone give me some tips on soldering XT60's? Everytime I try it the plastic melts and the prong moves out of postion. Should I put the female connector onto the male to prevent them from moving while heating the gold part?
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,355 Posts
It's a fine art. My advice, get FLUX. It will make the solder flow faster so you have to apply heat for less time and thus will not deform the connector. I dip my wire in liquid flux before soldering and often put a drop in the connector as well.

As for using two you are just adding more mass so it will take longer to heat up but will eventually both deform if you heat them too long.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
It's a fine art. My advice, get FLUX. It will make the solder flow faster so you have to apply heat for less time and thus will not deform the connector. I dip my wire in liquid flux before soldering and often put a drop in the connector as well.

As for using two you are just adding more mass so it will take longer to heat up but will eventually both deform if you heat them too long.
As far as flux goes, yes, but I was taught to use paste with electronics rather than liquid flux which contains acid. I have made a simple jig from a short piece of 4 x 2 timber with two holes drilled side by side and dug out so the TWO assembled plugs fit firmly.

'Tin', both the plug and the cable and as a second operation bring the two together and heat them. If you get enough solder into the plug on the tinning operation it is mostly a matter of heating that and the cable will slide in. Use a soldering iron big enough to apply plenty of heat - a small iron at low heat will just mess things up.

Good luck.

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:39 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
As far as flux goes, yes, but I was taught to use paste with electronics rather than liquid flux which contains acid. I have made a simple jig from a short piece of 4 x 2 timber with two holes drilled side by side and dug out so the TWO assembled plugs fit firmly.

Alan W
So you solder them connected to each other?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:43 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
So you solder them connected to each other?
I do, but I guess that`s just me. I reckon it gives a little more meat to hang on to, or more room to work around. My 'jig' plug is actually one I stuffed up on an earlier soldering mission. Do what suits you best ...

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
I'll try that next. Cooked 2 on my first attempt.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,175 Posts
AirbusDriver,
You may be using an iron that isn't hot enough (I know, sounds counter-intuitive). With too little heat, or a fine tip that can't transfer heat fast enough, there is a tendency to have this happen, as you have to to keep the iron on the connection too long. With the right iron and tip you'll be able to make the solder flow quicker, reducing the chance of the housing melting.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I finally got a soldering station (with hot air) several months back and wonder how I did without it till now. I never had much trouble soldering but with the right tool, it makes it very, very easy. I even taught my wife to use it for making jewelry. I have used the hot air for desoldering circuit boards, shrink tubing and heating bolts to loosen them on parts. All for about $100

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:53 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,667 Posts
Get some 60-40 flux core solder from Radio Shack. I use Kester "44" that's 1 mm or 40 thou. dia. With this you don't need any more flux. I also use the Weller soldering gun for Deans and XT60s. Tin the gun and when it starts smoking, it's hot enough to solder. This will give you the quick, high heat that you need.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Aug 2011
306 Posts
I use a big fat 40W Weller soldering iron with a good-sized tip for my XT60 connectors - as said above, with a big hot iron you can make a successful solder joint in seconds, whereas a smaller iron will just take ages to heat everything up, and will probably melt the plastic (been there, done that several times).
David Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by David Jenkins
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
What ended up working the best was putting the connector together so the opposite side kept the terminal being soldered from moving.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
NY, USA
Joined Feb 2011
45 Posts
I put the XT60 connectors together and also hold them in a small vise. The metal vise jaws draw the heat from the connector housing (so never a melting problem) and the connector housing insulates the metal posts so they heat up quickly. The male and female connectors together keeps everything aligned.
dukeofdata is offline Find More Posts by dukeofdata