SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,697 Posts
I think you knew it, foam often returns to its original form when heated, and the best way I know to uniformly heat all the foam at the same time is submerging the deformed parts in boiling water, but if you keep it too long underwater it will popcorn.

But you know... this plane is DIE HARD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Wow a nose in dive and it came out looking that good J!
Well, it's not that I was nose diving... I was peacefully flying when some cold hearted criminal threw me a planet Earth nose-wards!
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Last edited by SU-4ever; Sep 29, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
None shall pass.... classic. I like you even more for that post on its own

Actually, any models that I've nosed in like that are usually confetti. So never had the opportunity to even try boiling the foam.

There's probably a temp range before the foam pellets separate but enough to allow each pellet to expand back to form. I guess a slower heating up process.
Learn something every day.

But you do quick nice repair work. Cool. Thanks Teach!
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
Don't get me wrong, this is a great plane and as all of you have done, i too repaired the nose with ease. the point i was getting at was, it seems this plane always breaks in the same spot, just in front of the canopy. they made the nose to be a crush/break point but it seems that section often survives.

If you find a good solution for a set of hinges for the font doors please post, i had to fabricate replacements for mine, took a while to make them right, and i still think i could have done better.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,697 Posts
I'm setting mine next weekend, will tell then.

They worked fine on the eurofighter
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
Don't get me wrong, this is a great plane and as all of you have done, i too repaired the nose with ease. the point i was getting at was, it seems this plane always breaks in the same spot, just in front of the canopy. they made the nose to be a crush/break point but it seems that section often survives.

If you find a good solution for a set of hinges for the font doors please post, i had to fabricate replacements for mine, took a while to make them right, and i still think i could have done better.
Actually this confirms what we already know. The nose on the SU-35s sit a little low and for the mishaps we place on them, that is the weakest link. Gopher hole, curb, patch of ice water at high speed, heavy grass, bad landings, nose in.... does any of that sound like things that you build an aircraft to withstand? What's surprising is that with that much impact it consistently tends to be the main thing that takes any damage vs the rest of the model.

But they did not designed it to be a crash point because they don't design to crash at all. Its not a car.

Even real planes don't extensively work out crumple zones etc. You simply can't predict the impact energy with such a wide range of velocity. So they invest in control and reduced wing loads to avoid crashing at all or fly with skills equal to Wargassms .

I break props and motor mounts from time to time. I can make them heavier but the model moves from being a 3D model to Sport class because of the weight. Its a trade off. I even had a 30e sized one completely come apart from a gust of wind that rolled it over sitting static, quite gently, and busted the wing tip, side fuse, elevator, rudder and motor mount all in seconds. And that was from sitting static. Its a great model to fly,very strong where you would think the wings should rip off, but its just not made to be rolled around or impacted at odd angles......
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
My 2c...

I've owned, and crashed, a few Su27's, and all of them have that same weak point. It's not FW's design, it's Pavel's. It does act as a relatively simple crumple zone, and it's easier to repair than wings and intakes!

Full size planes do have "crumple zones" if you will - crashworthiness is a huge issue. I recall from one study more people die in the post-impact fire than in the impact itself.

As was said - design it to fly. If it doesn't break when you crash it, it's too strong (heavy) anyway!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,588 Posts
Odysis,
I agree and after my 2 repairs am glad that it continues to break in that spot. I've said numerous time that a stronger nose portion would only cause further damage to the rest of the airframe. Its an easier fix than what you would have to fix. However if your flying off of grass i can see why you may want to beef up the nose.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,717 Posts
"Should not crash it".......
LOL, that is my plan/belief. I am not rebuilding it for 'future crashes'. I can repair anything anyway, so I will worry about any future repair when it is needed.
I am more worried about the view of "Broke when it should not have broken".

I haven't even had 'time' (allocated) to finish repairing the Su.... too many other aircraft projects, and flying, to direct further enthusiam into it so far.
Though I had time today.... but just lounged about relaxing instead..... (but forgot about the Su in ponderings of what I might do).
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
36 Posts

just cause you all were talking about crashing...they never quite come back to what they were...anyways just thought I'd let you all know that I'm still on my third plane. been flying it almost everyday for the past couple of months from a gopher infested dirt strip which they are closing to EDFs on monday. i can't decide whether to crash spectacularly on the final day that it's open or find another population to endanger. i'm gonna miss flyin the ol bird.
xsample is offline Find More Posts by xsample
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,717 Posts
Now that was a CRASH!!
Looks like it came out as a plane again at least!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,588 Posts
Yup u crashed that one better than any of us. You my friend have will & patience as I woudve called it a lose and parted with it. Nice job though.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
Ya that was a crashed bird i like that you repaired it, good job! most would have called that a rekit.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,588 Posts
And that is the reason FW needs to get on the ball and get those spare parts out.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
36 Posts
yeah i pretty much had to scrap the first 2 planes, even though i got them back together it wouldn't have been safe to fly them. it was great practice repairing (i had adhesives of every type on my fingers for months afterward) and i did actually manage to use the right leading edge extension when i kissed a post after landing on my third plane...however I do have ALOT of spare bits...3 wings a couple vertical and horizontal stabs, 2 spare battery hatches, 3 or 4 nozzles for exhaust, bunches of servos that i have no idea if the work...i've pretty much used up all the landing gear bits but i think i have some wheels and other small bits. anyways just waiting on the batts to charge and away i go again. two things i've taken away from this
1 of all the manuvers that you can become proficient at, none is more important than perfecting that flared landing
2 you can always tell the which people fly RC and which ones FLY RC...the latter knows all the folks who work in the 'glue and adhesives' department at the local hardware store on a first name basis.
xsample is offline Find More Posts by xsample
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,697 Posts
Oh man... that was such...

Well, if that has been able to fly again then everything can!

Awesome repair from a not so awesome landing...
How did you make it?
Looks as if it had gone rolling nose-tail-nose-tail-nose-tail until complete annihilation...

Yet the wings seem pretty intact!
Incredible.