SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by genovia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:38 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
You over worked and over heated the ESC and it went into "limp mod" to save its self from burn up.

A slow stick was nevGo Pro.signed to do what you were asking of it , ie. the huge payload of the Go-Pro cam , housing , and mount along with the geographic area in witch you were flying.

You're lucky the flight lasted as long as it did , if that is the type of flying you wish to do than invest in an airframe made to lift a payload and fly in adverse conditions.
I dont know. The air frame didn't quit, motor and esc are are fine and dont over heat. Never went over half throttle. I have done it many times before on the same setup with and without the GoPro. Its not the stock engine. Tested the plane right after i crashed and the motor and esc were fine. The temps were in thr 60s before noon. I dont think this was it. Also I was only 2 min into the flight. Finally, I lost all control to the control surfaces, radio input was lost. If it was the esc wouldn't I have retained control of the servos?
619SixFour is online now Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Last edited by 619SixFour; Nov 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:28 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
And the battery checked out to voltage left of?
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Nov 23, 2014, 07:33 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Yup checked all that and I check after the flight. Battery was still full. I always check batts before my flights.
619SixFour is online now Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:45 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Nope that is what happens when an ESC goes into "limp mode".

Testing it on the ground is completely different than it actually flying.

Like I said before you need to get an airframe made to lift a payload with an actual airfoil wing , the Slow Stick wing is made to as the name implies go slow like a trainer not lift a payload.

I know because over the years I have had and made hundreds of them , they"re great little plane but not made to lift a payload.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:59 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
Nope that is what happens when an ESC goes into "limp mode".

Testing it on the ground is completely different than it actually flying.

Like I said before you need to get an airframe made to lift a payload with an actual airfoil wing , the Slow Stick wing is made to as the name implies go slow like a trainer not lift a payload.

I know because over the years I have had and made hundreds of them , they"re great little plane but not made to lift a payload.
Any plane can carry some payload, it obviously had enough power to fly with the go pro (and he said its not stock), and there was no motor RPM "pulsing" indicative of an ESC overheating or going into LVC. Not sure how you can be so sure of your assessment. Looks like a signal loss and motor suddenly going to idle to me, many possible causes. Could be a slightly bad solder joint somewhere, or a slightly dying servo can cause voltage to the RX to sag, causing it to turn off momentarily.
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Dec 02, 2014, 08:56 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
278 Posts
Waaaay too much wind!!

Deleted
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Last edited by Backyard; Dec 09, 2014 at 11:27 AM.