HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,627 Posts
Discussion
Ventus 2cx LET vs EMS?

I know these are two different scales, 1/3 versus 1.25/1 but does anyone have any comments on these models? I remember EMS attending Visalia many years ago, back when Karlton was importing Multiplex.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:17 AM
Team Horizon
United States, CA, Montague
Joined Jan 2004
211 Posts
Dang Aaron, you have exactly the same taste in sailplanes as me. First you get me all excited about the possibility of a Quintus and now you start asking about the EMS models.

I have seen the EMS 5.3m Arcus up close and personal. It is very well done. Very high quality glass work, similar to LET but better details such as molded wipers on all the moving surfaces. Trailing edges not as sharp as the Baudis Antares and H Model Arcus but thinner than LET.

Mark Foster is the new US dealer and it is his Arcus that spent a weekend in my shop. It hasn't flown here yet but I expect it will fly very well based on reports from Europe.

A 40% Ventus would be on the way to me if I hadn't spent so much money on GPS Triangle Racing stuff lately. I don't have any info on it other than what is on the website (it takes a lot of digging, there is more to the website than first appears).

Ralf may come to Visalia next spring and hopefully to JR as well. He is very interested in reviving the brand.

I have most of the parts to make a 1/3 scale LET Ventus with the molded 2cx wings. They use the HQW family of airfoils. The EMS model uses an airfoil that is thinner and with less camber if I am interpreting the naming convention correctly. They show a lift/drag graph of the entire wing on one of the webpages. I was actually thinking of you when I saw it and wondering if you could tell me if it looked like a reasonable design.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Last edited by rshelby; Aug 24, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,778 Posts
Aaron, my LET Ventus 2c is probably my biggest regret selling, it is such a versatile model with different wing tips and just general handling and quality, when the larger EMS version finally shows in the US it could be tempting, but bear on mind when you go to 40% the cost is almost double over 1/3, EMS will have to figure out how to get them shipped to the west coast for a reasonable price. What I saw of Marks Arcus quality was really impressive, hopefully that quality is also in the larger model. ( I do have an H-Model 1/3 Arcus ).

So what you do need to do is come out to Visalia in October to actually see some of our models, should be a few Arcus's there, along with other large glass ships and some nice vintage ships as well.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,627 Posts
Rick, I think we have known eachother long enough to agree that our taste in models is very similar If only we had the budgets to add everything to our hangars!

Dennis, your comment about sellers remorse is probably the most supportve thing I have read about the LET Ventus. I have sellers remorse to this day for letting my HKM Nimbus 4 (6.6m) go. It was nowhere near the detail of todays super scale ships, like these two Venti, but it was a unique plane for its day and I really enjoyed flying it. It left a void in my soaring experience that I am still trying to fill, some 8 years later.

Are you referring to bringing your scale ships to the FSF, or another event in October? Sorry I am not up on all of the scale events. I think the best thing is probably for me to get the LET model, as I have lusted after it for a long while, and wait for the EMS model to become more available, or the Quintus, or something else in 40% scale. No sense in choosing between them when you can have both! Just takes some patience. My good friend Manny Tau used to say that we will have all the toys we want, we just have to have patience
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,778 Posts
Aaron, usually every third Saturday of the month we tow at Visalia, September will be a week earlier on the 14th, ( and maybe the 13th ). The three day Aerotow in October is the third weekend and there should be plenty of large ships there, that should be two weeks after the Fall Fest which I plan to attend. Bob Breaux at SoaringUSA is the source for LET, really nice since we can go pick up the models when they arrive.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:21 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Yes, Rick and Dennis gave a rather complete description of the EMS Arcus. I should have it at the Sept. Visalia aerotow. 2nd Sat.. Also I may take it to Horno Field this coming weekend. at Camp Pendleton. One point needs clarification. Presently I'm not a dealer for EMS. I've told Ralf that I would help him regarding bringing planes to the US. So Aaron if you have some specific questions I'll give a go at an answer otherwise I'll get Ralf to provide info.
Having brought many large scale models into the country I know the process can be costly and time consuming. Yet, it tends to be worth it in the end,,,, You just can't get it otherwise.

Mark
PT Glider is offline Find More Posts by PT Glider
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
Good grief.
Look at that wing. First it goes forward, then less forward, then back, then back some more. What were they thinking.
I bet it was originally designed to be used on a Ornithopter.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:54 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN GRADWELL View Post
..What were they thinking.
Dean
You can be sure that no designer / manufacturer is going to saddle themselves with additional complexity like that unless there are very good reasons for it...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Aaron, my LET Ventus 2c is probably my biggest regret selling, it is such a versatile model with different wing tips and just general handling and quality.....
You can't have it back LOL

I had it at the Mickey Sullivan aerotow over the weekend and was climbing at 200 feet a minute with full flaps and spoilers deployed
xroadie is offline Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN GRADWELL View Post
Good grief.
Look at that wing. First it goes forward, then less forward, then back, then back some more. What were they thinking.
I bet it was originally designed to be used on a Ornithopter.
Regards Dean
Says the owner of several Schleicher (who don't "design ornithopter") gliders...
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Last edited by yyz; Aug 27, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Flappin wing sailplane flight .....w/o SLS.

Mark
Old Aug 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,111 Posts
Mark, do you know who's manufacturing EMS' sailplanes?

TIA,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Steve,

Best of my understanding (sorry if I'm just adding to more confusion on the subject) EMS group distribution has models made in a Czeck Republic facility over seen by Ralf Siebllie. KV among others are distributed through EMS and manufactured from this plant. In the US we get rather confused about where our models come from in Europe. Distribution can come from a variety of sources, however, manufacturing comes from very few places. Usually a guy in a garage. H model is an example of that. Its amazing what he's done with such a small set up.
LET most likely uses the same production format and facility in the Czeck Rep.
EMS has developed its design over the last 15yrs plus.
I have to say for 2900 euros the Arcus matches or bests any of my other models(Antares, H Duo, HKM 28-18 all great models) costing $2500 or more than the aforementioned initial 2900 euro cost . H model cockpits can't be beat...The glass sheen is great on the Arcus. Now before I say any thing more I need to fly it. I'll have a flight report soon...

Mark
Last edited by PT Glider; Aug 27, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,111 Posts
Thanks Mark. I remember in the "old days" Ralf was simply Let's distributor. Still flying that neat self-start motor glider I remember you had at Visalia a good few years ago?

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Yes