SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Discussion
Trex 600 crash

Ok just wanted to see what you guys think about the whole situation. I was flying my 600 this past sunday at our local field for the first time in about 6 months. After getting it up and just hovering it. I went into forward flight and started doing flips and stuff to make sure ever thing was good. Everything worked as normal so I brought it back to a hover. When all the sudden the tail just started going crazy wagging back an forth then it seemed like I had no control of the tail at all so I sat it down quick kinda crash landing because I had no control of the tail, breaking the landing gear and then the blades and flybar. No real major damage but after I got home and start rebuilding it. I turned the transmitter and heli on and the tail servo jittered back and fourth for a while. I went thru all the controls moving all of the servo's to make sure no gears where stripped for a couple of min and then the tail servo stopped jittering. Im running a 6.6v life pack for the rx which was fully charged at the time of the flight. Ive seen on here that life packs fully charged could be the cause but I want to see what you all think about that whole thing.
blizzardflier is offline Find More Posts by blizzardflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Just to add the gyro is a curtis youngblood mini G and tail servo is a futaba s9253 the heli has been set up this way for almost 2 years now and has never had this problem before.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,684 Posts
Have you always used the LIFE pack? I do not think so.

The nominal voltage is 6.6, but the freshly charged voltage is almost 8 Volts!

The S9253 servo is made for use with 4.8V packs. If you are going to use higher voltage batteries with it then you have to use a step-down regulator between the gyro and servo.
rotoraddict is online now Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Yep I've always used the life pack and I didn't know that about that futaba servo. Would the initial over voltage of 8v cause the servo to jitter like that.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,449 Posts
If the servo's motion is binding it can jitter. The crash could have done that. The voltage is likely to kill the servo over time.
Was the gyro secure.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Gyro is secure and was still secure after the crash I'm gonna test fly it tomorrow to see if it repeats the problem. I'll check the linkage for binding and see what I got but I'm pretty sure it's gtg
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardflier View Post
Yep I've always used the life pack and I didn't know that about that futaba servo. Would the initial over voltage of 8v cause the servo to jitter like that.
Yes, it can.....and running that servo at that higher voltage will cause it to fail prematurely and to have a number of malfunctions before it does.
rotoraddict is online now Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Thanks for the info still haven't got around to test flight it I may just get a new batt to make sure I'm good.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, MS, Laurel
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
trex crash.

Do you have a isolation plate under the gyro.
They recommend a layer of double sided tape a thin aluminum plate and another layer of double sided tape.
I have seen this make a difference.Without it the gyro will be unstable some time.
curly39440 is offline Find More Posts by curly39440
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,027 Posts
That typically would NOT be a piece of aluminium sheet, but a fairly heavy stainless steel plate.
Stainless most likely because of its non-magnetic properties, and fairly heavy in order to serve as a resonance suppressor.

At least, as far as I recall, the few of those modern gyro's I installed for others all had a piece of stainless, not aluminium.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
ok sorry Ive been gone for a while and to answer your question yes i do. The gyro is mounted just as they recommend in the instructions.

There is a 5.1 volt voltage reg between the servo and the gyro. I used my g view and resetup the gyro and all seemed fine until. I started moving the cyclic around fast and the blue light came on on the gyro and it locked out the tail. The servo isnt jittering anymore could have been a loose wire. Im at a brick wall right now what would you guys do and is that normal for the gyro to do that.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
Rojoalfa
Punta de Mata, Venezuela
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
The servo isnt jittering anymore could have been a loose wire...
/
/

Your crash is a very common problem related to connectors and gyro mounting stuff.

Vibe here is a concern... Secure every connector on your trex600.
Never undestimate vibrations...

Other issue... throttle HOLD... You never mention to go into an emergency procedure...
By the time you go into trouble, flip that switch, throttle HOLD.

Your heli would apreciate and your wallet too...

/
rojoalfa is offline Find More Posts by rojoalfa
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
yeah I think imma go thru every connection before a put it up again and when it all started happening I didnt even think about the throttle hold cause I hardly ever use it mostly just on the flight sim. I was more concern about getting it to the ground and getting it under control. Throttle hold def would have helped lol.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Rojoalfa
Punta de Mata, Venezuela
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Quote:

I was more concern about getting it to the ground and getting it under control. Throttle hold def would have helped lol.
/
/

Throttle HOLD switch... you know, it is very hard to control a "out-of-control heli tail "...it is almost impossible.

But, if you flip throttle HOLD switch, your heli is going to stop the "crazy tail" right away...so, you begin an auto...

Landing with an autorotation it is much better than landing without tail control.

Go to your flight sim and practice this emergency procedure... you are going to love it...

/
rojoalfa is offline Find More Posts by rojoalfa