HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Question
Hinge help/advice Apologies in advance if this has been covered countless times..

I did try a couple of searches but the results were kind of all over the place.

Anyway, I've built a few planes now and I like the way my skills are improving with the exception of my hinges. I'm using FFF and so far I've just used packing tape to make hinges on my control surfaces. For example, I lay the elevator on top of the Hor. Stab. so the beveled side is exposed, run some tape the entire length, then fold it the other way as far as it will go and put another strip on the other side. Some times it works well and other times I just make a mess.

Is there a better, more elegant solution? If anybody has a link to another thread or a video that would be great.

Thanks,

blo,
bloviationator is offline Find More Posts by bloviationator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:17 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,032 Posts
i've seen suggestions to use blenderm for hinges. haven't tried it myself.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
i've seen suggestions to use blenderm for hinges. haven't tried it myself.
I had to google blenderm, now I want some. I wonder if the local pharmacy will have any.

The google search also led me to this video and I think I know how I'm going to do my next build:

3M Blenderm Hinge Tape (2 min 9 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,531 Posts
I use clear tape for hinges whenever possible. I apply the tape the opposite way you do, though, starting with the top side. On some models, I just do the top and leave it at that. I find that it helps to start at one end and work toward the other rather than trying to lay down the whole strip all at once to help prevent wrinkles and such.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, IA, Sidney
Joined May 2012
179 Posts
I use 3M Transpore surgical tape which seems to work for me on my Radian.
tyme4me is offline Find More Posts by tyme4me
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:00 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
I've used all kinds of tape, then I found Blenderm and I'm sold on it.
It sticks and is flexible.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ape/Categories
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:20 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,014 Posts
Never had much luck with tape ... apart from using it to back-up foam hingeing when it starts to crack ...

I prefer mylar or floppy disc hinges ... and for bigger models - proper pinned. I may use tape then to seal up any air gap though..... by attaching usually to top side.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:26 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,177 Posts
I get the tape from a medical supply store.Crutches, wheelchairs, etc. That's also where I get the rubber Theraband to make prop savers. The tape I use is a vey lightweight paper type tape called 3M Micropore.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:57 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,289 Posts
Yep i use the Blenderm also....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
I agree with Nigel, proper pinned hinges and tape the gap. I use Blenderm on one side only. The reason has nothing to do with strength or durability for me though, since I have never had a failure on a taped hinge. However, they are much smoother and easier for the servo to operate. That lowers the current draw and reduces the risk of a brownout.

I get my Blenderm from Amazon.com but I think that Dubro Hinge Tape is just repackaged Blenderm also.
By the way, Amazon also has surgical scalpel handles and blades, MUCH better than hobby blades!
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Pinned hinges? Sealing the gap?

I built a balsa plane years ago and remember drilling holds and cutting slots to fit the hinges for the ailerons and the tail controls. I assume a pinned hinge is one that has a pin in it rather than something that has to be pinned to the wing....sometimes my imagination runs a bit too wild.

Follow up question - how much blenderm? Do I run it parallel the length of the control surface or just go perpendicular every other inch or so? This is 1/4" fff so I liked the fact that the packing tape seemed to stiffen things up a bit but maybe I don't really need that on a smaller plane?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
The ones that I am talking about are the ones with the pin in the hinge, (nylon hinges). In foam the slot is easy to cut, and then you just epoxy them in. The model size that I decide to use them on gets smaller and smaller, but I have no issue with tape only for small and slow planes. I always tape along the hinge line, not across. You are right about packing tape adding stiffness though, and not a bad way to go.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,014 Posts
We also have the old Control Line trick of the cloth hinges ... take strips of web cloth .. 90 degrees to hinge line .... glue one end on top of surface, pass through hinge line and glue other end on underside of other surface. Next to this another strip reversed ..
Do this in multiple sets to provide one of the easiest moving hinges ever.

But my preferred is still the plain plastic strip tab such as floppy disc material / mylar glued in ... and with larger models a locking pin through each side ..
These allow the hinge line to be as close together as possible ..

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I accidentally hit the rudder of my Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair and ripped it off the stabalizer. I tried tape, but no matter how good it seemed, the repair seemed flimsey to me. I went to my LHS and the manager there turned me on to Great Planes CA hinges. They are basically semi-hard fiber hinges and for a foamie, all you need to do is cut slots in the foam parts to be hinged and then push the hinge into both parts. You then put foam safe CA on the hinge itself and wicking action transports the glue into the part of the hing that is in the slot. Perfect and stronger than the original foam hinge.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Here is a quick follow up post. I couldn't find blenderm locally but I did get some flexible medical tape and Tried Solentlife's "over and under" idea.

To get the tape to lay down I taped two pieces together with just a quarter inch overlap. This allowed me to tape to the top of the H. Stab then pass under and tape to the bottom of the elevator. I reversed for the the next one etc. Seemed like this was going to work great with very free movement of the control surface. Unfortunately, the next morning the tape had loosened and it was obvious that brand of tape just wasn't going to git er dun.

I had a package of the little nylon hinges from a previous build(1/2 inch foam) and thought the quarter inch FFF I'm using now was just too thin for cutting slots for hinges. I was wrong. The slots cut nicely and the hinges inserted flawlessly.

Thanks Logan for the tip on using epoxy to glue them in. I would have gone for the Gorilla glue and the foam out would have been a real mess. The hinges take a little longer than just the tape, but I ended up with a much tighter fit. I may still put some tape on the longer ailerons to add stiffness but it will be easier to do that before I install and I'll end up with fewer wrinkles.

Thanks for all the help!

blo.