alphaeyes is offline Find More Posts by alphaeyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:35 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
nice video terence

i have even more tremulous movies from my mini-stick (pointing down and back, which is great for narcissistic launches when reviewed)

however, the same mini spycam on top of the bonsai is inducement to vertigo, and the horizon weaves like the photographer is epileptic

i think the secret is large slow aircraft

i have learned that a propeller is your enemy anywhere in the field of view, as it appears as a ~50% venetian blind the colour of the prop, across the entire frame if you are silly enough to point your lens through the arc

i reckon i'll try my luck on the canary once it gets done, as it should be less "flitty" than either of the 60cm span previous camera mount planes
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Splendid video!

(See the following post).
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Splendid video, Terence!

What a beautiful locale. We enjoyed the ride!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Thanks, here's another ride for you guys.. This time I'm piloting the atom in FPV... and watch out the bump at the end.. Yes I lost my atom... It's still stuck in that tall palm tree.
HobbyKing Atom Mini - FPV ending in a crash (3 min 21 sec)
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
I thought I would be getting another plane and leaving this thread... But guess what, I finally rescued my plane from that 6m-tall palm tree today. Everything is still working thankfully and I found out the reason of the crash, the rudder servo is dying, it jitters when I feed it with full right rudder now.
Here are the photos of the rescue mission .
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
I've flown this a few times, crashed once.

My thoughts:

Thrust is angled 2 degrees to the right, easily rimed out.

Some might say that it's underpowered, but I think it's just fine. Most models are overpowered anyway.

Due to lower power, reducing drag is important.

My elevator push rod was sticking in the sleeve, and the servo misshaped it. Replaced with music wire down the carbon fuse tube.

After the crash I thought I might go about making improvements. The model has a really difficult time gaining altitude. Climb rates are very slow, maybe 1meter/min. I replaced the servos with a pair of HK 4.3grams (really 5g). Old servos weigh 9 grams each. I hope that helps with climb rates. I've also taken some fine sandpaper to remove the bumps in hopes of reducing drag. Oddly, I think this model's fight characteristics would be improved by adding 30 to 90 mm to the wingspan.

Edit: after these mods, I wouldn't call mine underpowered! bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

I haven't had any of the range issues; I'm using an old JR XF on 72mhz and a tiny circuit board RX.

Edit2:

Empty weight: 137g (no battery)

Stock battery: 29.9g including the attached 6g trim weight.

Zippy 500 (6520): 34.2g including 3g trim weight.
Curins is offline Find More Posts by Curins
Last edited by Curins; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
I agree that it's not underpowered. I have tried putting different FPV stuff in the plane and putting a 40g-load or a 25g-load can decide whether the plane would climb or spin-dive to the ground after its launch.
That 8g you saved from the servo will be significant for this plane.
The plane is also very roomy inside which is good for putting stuff in it, like FPV gear, stabilizer unit or a bigger Esc for a brushless mod.
Overall, it's 'beautifully engineered' as Lancer had put it.

I would admit that I almost got the micro dauphin that costs only 17usd more and has ailerons and even a cute little brushless outrunner fitted. But I'm getting this plane over the micro dolphin because of the roomy fuselage, the wider wing span and its simplicity.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
props

Hi guys. Ive found the perfect prop
GWS 4x3.
You will need and adaptor to fit it on the shaft.
Much quieter than the original prop as well.
1101 is online now Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi guys. Ive found the perfect prop
GWS 4x3.
You will need and adaptor to fit it on the shaft.
Much quieter than the original prop as well.
u using it on the stock motor?....
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Received my Atom a few days ago... Had a trouble getting the stock motor / ESC to arm, so I went ahead and replaced it with a brushless system. Installed the Turnigy park 250 with Turnigy 10A ESC. Replaced the prop with a 5/3.

Flew the plane, and found that I wanted to have ailerons. Also found that I wanted more elevator, so I made one out of 3mm depron and hinged it into place.

The ailerons were cut out of the wing, and a 5g servo was mounted to control them. Also replaced the stock 9g servos with 5g units.

The mods I made were sucessful, and I find that his little plane is spirited and a pleasure to fly!

It floats easily, and can perform rolls, spins and loops. No problem in 10km/hr wind, while using 3s 350mAh 20c.

Now installing FPV gear.... Micro 1g FPV cam, 300mW Vtx, Eagle tree stabilizer, CL-OSD/ GPS.

Her are some pics of the mods...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Hey guys, not to pooh on the Atom but as a next step up I highly recommend the
HK Vector 850.
Load it up with a 3s 800 and have a blast! It's rated 2s but I've got 10 flights on 3s with no problems.
Loads of fun inverted.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18473
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:35 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly
The ailerons were cut out of the wing, and a 5g servo was mounted to control them. Also replaced the stock 9g servos with 5g units.
I like the aileron controlled by 1 servo. Do you have some pics of your FPV gear? Looking forward to a video too.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
I like the aileron controlled by 1 servo. Do you have some pics of your FPV gear? Looking forward to a video too.
Gonna use Fatshark 5.8gHz VTx, Range Video 1g Micro Cam on single battery. I have this set up in my 1m Icon A5, works well!

Video's coming soon I hope... See my post for a pic of the system :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21920981

I like this set up as it is simple. The range is not great, but its works well enough for what I do with it, which is demonstrate FPV in a inexpensive and approachable/non threatening way. Of course it is also great to just have in the car, for when you are waiting in the parking lot for the better half
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:50 AM
Floater
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2011
29 Posts
maidened 2 atoms today, went home with 2 broken planes and less than 30 sec of flight time. no 1 rolled right straight out of the hand with anything more than 1/2 throttle on (4 times in a row, smashed up nose and half broken wing ), no 2 went slightly better (no roll) but nosed in very hard. after spending my morning putting them together, fixing a glued control rod (!!) and triple checking this thread and my CG, only to smash them both up, i went home with the shits.
i'll fix them up but in the meantime i think i'll stick to my clouds flys
bigmoe is offline Find More Posts by bigmoe