HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:40 PM
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Discussion
Which Walkera Heli to buy? CB100, 4#6, 4G6??????

I am very interested in purchasing a micro heli and am really drawn to the Walkera's but am completely stumped on what I should get!

I've read most of the threads, watched videos, read manuals etc. in an attempt to make a informed purchase/decision.

I started out looking at CB100's then saw the 4#6 that looks to be coming out soon and now I'm contemplating just going all out for a 4G6! I've never flown a heli before so I'm not sure if going CP off the bat is a big mistake or not.

I'm also not sure if a tail motor or shaft drive is a better choice but because I see the new 4#6 coming out with a shaft drive (instead of tail motor driven) I'm guessing there must be a reason? More stable tail? Less power drain???

I of course want something durable that can take a bump or two without needing a major overhaul or adjustments to be flying again. I also want the training bars to help minimize damage and thus aide in learning and enjoyment.

I was hoping to draw off your experiences and expertise on whats the best model to purchase!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
blepkowski is offline Find More Posts by blepkowski
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:08 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
If this is your first heli then i would go with a motor driven tail. The shaft drive is nice but you will crash ALOT when first starting out and it will be a real pain to have to change those little gears in the shaft drive all the time and trust me, you will crash alot. The motor driven tails are not all that bad because they handle crashes well and they are easy to change when they go bad. Then once you can actually fly for awhile without crashing then you can get the 4g6 or 4-6.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
577 Posts
Starting out with a CP heli is not impossible, but more difficult and requires a lot of patience. Everything is harder - proper setup, flying, repair, radio, etc. If you do decide to start with a CP, then a micro CP would be the LAST choice because they are much quicker in the air and more difficult to work on because of their size. If you start CP, get something bigger with a belt driven tail. Belt tails are somewhat more forgiving and easier to work on than shaft driven and motor driven tails on CP helis are not as precise.

I have been flying helis for years, and I am really enjoying the CB100. I'm not sure its the best heli to start out with, but it flies very stable and nice.

You might also want to look into some coaxial helis to start with as well....

Luck
rcflyair
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:38 PM
Studio City CA
Joined Apr 2009
126 Posts
If you've been with rcgroups since Nov. 2007... you've read it all by now.
You already know what the smart buy is.... and its NOT a CP...
gfiebach is offline Find More Posts by gfiebach
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
I crash therefore I am
Queensland Australia
Joined Nov 2007
876 Posts
IMO, get the CB100. It's a great first FP if you aren't going to get a coax.

Vimd
Vimd is offline Find More Posts by Vimd
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:58 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Yes I would agree the CP is not the smart way - I would say CB100 then at a later date when you think your skill is high enough put a 4#3B head on it and once you have mastered that then look at a CP - with a CP its not just learning to fly it its keeping it flying in between crashes - a lot more technical problems

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
I really appreciate your input guys!

I figured CP would be difficult and should be avoided to start but I liked the idea of starting out with something that was most like the way a real heli flies. If it's going to be discouraging than it doesn't make much sense.

As far the the CB vs the new 4#6 goes......

I've read so much that pulls me back and forth between the motor driven vs. shaft drive tail. I can't seem to weigh the pro's and cons one way or the other. The crash-ability of the motor driven is a huge plus but then on the other hand I read about yaw and twitching issues...........
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:47 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blepkowski View Post
I really appreciate your input guys!

I figured CP would be difficult and should be avoided to start but I liked the idea of starting out with something that was most like the way a real heli flies. If it's going to be discouraging than it doesn't make much sense.

As far the the CB vs the new 4#6 goes......

I've read so much that pulls me back and forth between the motor driven vs. shaft drive tail. I can't seem to weigh the pro's and cons one way or the other. The crash-ability of the motor driven is a huge plus but then on the other hand I read about yaw and twitching issues...........
Yes I hear what you are saying shaft driven tails give better control but are far more delicate - with out boring you with the history they are not a new thing - shafts were used before belts - in fact walkera's first 400 class heli's were shaft driven tails but due to the fragile nature belts took over - but belts just dont work well on very small heli's.

when learning you tend to need a model you can crash and set back on its skids and try again (most of the time) and you will get that sort of robustness with the CB100 where as nearly every time you clip the tail on shaft driven tails you will damage the tail gears and at $4 a set it could end up both expensive and frustrating.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
17 Posts
I have a 180D and I just got a CB100 yesterday... I love the little bugger! I am new to heli's and this is a dream to fly and it can take a beating. I have crashed a buttload in the last 2 days and so far I have only broke one blade.

From my research and my limited experience I would highly reccomend the CB100

/\
Trijicon is offline Find More Posts by Trijicon
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
Another Polak! Dzeindobre! I am also heavily favoring the CB100. I looked at the CB180 and was not thrilled to learn it was shaft driven. The 4#6 is the same heli, so to speak, but with a brushless motor. A key point is that it does not have two motors like the CB180, but the main also drives the shaft-driven tail. As with all new heli's, don't be too quick to jump. Read the threads and see how it all shakes out. As much as I want the CB100, after reading the threads (4 or more PAGES per day), I've learned the stock brushless tail motor needs to be upgraded and some guys are even upgrading the main motor. Those two alone are another $50. MIA landing skids add another $16 ($8 for the skids and $8 for S&H ). I agree that a CP heli is NOT the way to get into this hobby. CP heli's require a lot of set up and tinkering and the small size would drive anybody nuts!!
The one thing that is also a big consideration is where you're going to fly your heli. If it is strictly an indoor flier, it should not be anything bigger than a CB100. I have a Lama 4 and CX2 and consider both to be too big to do anything more than hover in the house. I think the 4#6 and 4G6 are a little large for inside, but I don't know that for sure.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Nov 21, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:59 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Get the CB100 it is just fine to learn on there isn't any problems out of the box with a stock one. And if later you want to you can put a 4#3 head on it and just about start all over again learning to balance a helicopter in flight rather that just steering one. The CB100 is a great value for the money. And the operating cost is lower than with most others. If you can get the 2801pro transmitter not that you need it for the CB100 but if you later go with the 4#3 head it will help you learn to fly it easier.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Yes, jak się masz!

Do most CB100's exhibit issues with the tail motors?

Do the shaft drive tails have other common breakage issues besides the drive gears? How does the pitch linkage and hardware hold up?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Yes, jak się masz!

Do most CB100's exhibit issues with the tail motors?

Do the shaft drive tails have other common breakage issues besides the drive gears? How does the pitch linkage and hardware hold up?
Seems you have no helicopter experience at all.. Let me try to give you a simple idea of what you are looking at as far as to the skill needed. Flying a coaxial heli is like standing on two feet, flying a 45 degree fly bar FP heli is like standing on one foot, flying a 90 degree FP heli is like standing on one foot on a bowling ball, flying a CP heli is like standing on your head on a bowling ball, flying 3D CP is like standing on your head on two bowling balls stacked one on top of the other..
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Yes you are right none what so ever! I love the challenge and don't mind something difficult as long as it will give enough success to not get discouraged.. box it up and go back to flying my micro p-51 full time.

Ok so just to toss another wrench in the works what do you guys think about the new UFLY or CB180D as a good involving first time heli?

I was very surprised at how reasonable the parts pricing was for the larger CB180D with the exception of the batteries. Within a few dollars of the micros!

Heres my logic on the micros and I'm probably wrong! I figured the micros were a good place to start due to:
-Light weight and size = less mass moving around and thus more durable in normal crashes
-Inexpensive replacement parts and batteries
-More flexible in terms of places to use it ( in a living room etc.)

With that being said are the larger micro heli's like the CB180D and the UFLY as durable as the CB100 is?

Are they more stable and less twitchy?
Last edited by blepkowski; Nov 21, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Yes you are right none what so ever! I love the challenge and don't mind something difficult as long as it will give enough success to not get discouraged.. box it up and go back to flying my micro p-51 full time.

Ok so just to toss another wrench in the works what do you guys think about the new UFLY or CB180D as a good involving first time heli?

I was very surprised at how reasonable the parts pricing was for the larger CB180D with the exception of the batteries. Within a few dollars of the micros!

Heres my logic on the micros and I'm probably wrong! I figured the micros were a good place to start due to:
-Light weight and size = less mass moving around and thus more durable in normal crashes
-Inexpensive replacement parts and batteries
-More flexible in terms of places to use it ( in a living room etc.)

With that being said are the larger micro heli's like the CB180D and the UFLY as durable as the CB100 is?

Are they more stable and less twitchy?
The CB100 is sable and not twitchy at all compared to my 4#3,, But a lot depends on where you want to fly, Once you get any bigger than the CB100/4#3/mSR you are really having to fly in a bigger place if for nothing else than to be safe.. I like the little ones because I can fly in the living room anytime I have a free minute and learning to fly involves a lot of time.. And no mater how much you read on how to do it or learn new tips, nothing but stick time will teach you.. Maybe I'm just a slow learner but even now I will sometimes go left when I should of gone right when the pressure is on maybe it's the old thing like when riding a motorcycle you never never want to look at what you don't want to hit or you will hit it.. Look where you want to go....