SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered Phase 3 U-2 Spyplane

Here is my quick build thread on the Phase 3 U-2.

Here is my motor setup:

Wicked 4800 with standoff and EDO plug
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=52

EDO Type 2 fan unit
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=86

Mount and Dynamic balance:
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=89

Pentium 40 ESC
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...t&product_id=3

Some notes:

1) I decided to cut a foam slot for the ESC.
2) Added wire to the battery leads, about 12"
3) Make sure the aileron extensions are in the channel before installing the clear belly pan.

More to come as I finish.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
339 Posts
OK, ton of questions cuz I have a kit version that I want to build as NASA color scheme. I was wondering if the fuse could hold a CS 10 blade 70mm fan unit with a Castle/ICe 75 ESC? I am not going for speed but better climb out power. Vertical climb is weak with stock unit.

I have a 3S lipo at 2200mah but it won't CG with it. Too nose heavy, unless I cut out the back of the fuse and slide the battery further back. Suggestions?

I need to buy a watt meter. My stock ESC is hot to touch at end of 5 minute flight, but not burning hot. The 11.1v 1350mah battery is hot to touch but can hold in hand. I am thinking that the stock unit is pulling too much and overheating things a bit.

I'm cool with flying it now with the 1350mah and when it goes south do a total rebuild, ESC-Fan-motor, etc. I also want to set the kit up with the right stuff from the go.

Subscribing. Please share so I get an idea of what to do as I am not a builder, more of a PNP guy.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
The stock fan unit is 64mm so anything bigger will require foam removal.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
339 Posts
I actually have 2 of these planes. One kit version with motor NIB. The other was a RTF that I switched the receiver to an AR8000 Spektrum so I could use my DX8. The RTF version is bone stock, but the heat at the end of the flights worries me. Maybe a bigger ESC would cool down the battery or a bigger battery. It is actually a 3s 11.1v 1650mah
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
I actually have 2 of these planes. One kit version with motor NIB. The other was a RTF that I switched the receiver to an AR8000 Spektrum so I could use my DX8. The RTF version is bone stock, but the heat at the end of the flights worries me. Maybe a bigger ESC would cool down the battery or a bigger battery. It is actually a 3s 11.1v 1650mah
I am running a 3s 1500mah 11.1v and after 8 minutes of flight - battery is slightly warm and ESC warm but not hot to the touch.. maybe each system is different or how you fly it.. if you fly full tilt from start to finish then yes it's going to get hot, if you use throttle management then the effects will be less when it comes to heat..

I also own a Phase 3 U2 - wonderful jet!!!
Turbobearcat is offline Find More Posts by Turbobearcat
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cudda-Daddy
United States, MO, Gerald
Joined Jun 2004
93 Posts
any videos on flight with your upgraded system?
hexonxonx is offline Find More Posts by hexonxonx
Old May 02, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
67 Posts
Anybody got any pictures of the decal placement on this plane?? The box and manual only show part of them. Thanks!
azzir is offline Find More Posts by azzir
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
Wow this has been dead for months... and for the next few months I will be upgrading my planes..the U2 will be interesting to give more power.. anybody share some data on flights done with the new setup?
Turbobearcat is offline Find More Posts by Turbobearcat
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:37 AM
Cudda-Daddy
United States, MO, Gerald
Joined Jun 2004
93 Posts
i still have mine with ideas .
hexonxonx is offline Find More Posts by hexonxonx