HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2001, 05:56 PM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
1/5th scale Nieuport flies

A while back I posted pics of my Proctor Nieuport 11 project. At the time it wasn't quite finished. Well today it made it's first two flights and it's just perfect.

I was expecting it to be a bit tricky as it came out a tad heavy at 10.5Lbs, but I shouldn't have worried. It zips off the ground and cruises around nicely on half throttle

I haven't timed a flight yet but I'm expecting around 7 mins. (A timed ground run at half throttle was good for 7mins).

The only problem is.. I managed to bend the axle somehow. Neither of todays landings were hard - in fact they were pretty good - so I don't really understand what happened. Perhaps I was slightly cross wind.. only there wasn't wind much to speak of. Oh well it's easily fixed. I'll just need to find some stronger steel.

For those who missed the pics, there are some on my web site at:
http://users.skynet.be/colin.watters/rc_models.htm

Colin
cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2001, 07:22 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
That's a beautiful bird Colin. Sure wish I could see it fly.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old May 14, 2001, 08:39 AM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
Colin,

Could you provide additional details on the powerplant - which motor, number of cells, gear ratio, etc?

Thx,
MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old May 14, 2001, 04:33 PM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
>Could you provide additional details on the
>powerplant - which motor, number of cells,
>gear ratio, etc?

The motor is an Aveox 1817/2Y which is an old 27 cell F5B competition motor. For comp use it would normally be operating at 55A+ ... so it's perhaps not the best choice for a scale model. The RPM/V is also a bit too high. A 3 or 4 wind version would probably be a better choice but I already had the motor.

I'm using a home made belt reduction unit and the static figures are:

Cells: 24
Ratio: 3:1
Prop: 18x10 wood
Amps: 37-40
Watts in: 900 approx

With 3000mAH cells I should get just over 4 min flat out but the model will hold altitude easily on half throttle. As I mentioned I did a ground test on half throttle and got 7 mins plus. I'll be happy with 6 or 7 min scale like flights with perhaps the odd loop.

I was hoping to drive a 20x10 and I also made up a 3.6:1 ratio using a larger main pulley. On test this combination suffered from a lot of vibration and I'll have to try again sometime. It's hard to get the main shaft centered in the pulley even when it comes with a pilot hole in it. I used all the tricks I knew (including using a carbon rod in the chuck as a centering tool) but I think my pillar drill has too much play in it's bearings. If the shaft is even slightly off the tension in the belt will vary as it rotates and since the motor is going at 15,000 this causes a lot of vibration.

Colin
cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters