HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2001, 07:18 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a cheap Peak Charger?

I need a low cost Peak Detect Charger for my 6 & 7 Cell Battery packs (600 & 700 Mah). I have seen one at Hobby People called the Black Widow peak charger that's like $39, is that one any good. Anybody know where to get a cheap one (I'm poor).

P.S. - Do any of these chargers have the ability to charge several packs at a time?
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2001, 07:34 AM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
I have FMA's Verapulse($43) and like it. Charges from .5 to 5 amps and 4-10cells(max7 with DC input). You need to supply leads and an AC power cord. Works well for me.
strouse is offline Find More Posts by strouse
Old May 23, 2001, 11:03 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Check Multiplex page, http://www.multiplexrc.com/acc_batt.htm, the Pico Charger, $25.00. (http://www.multiplexrc.com/prod_images/accessories/9_2526.jpg)

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 23, 2001, 11:10 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,402 Posts
The Great Planes Electrifly Peak Charger plugs into your cigarette lighter and can handle 6-8 cells at 200mAh or 600mAh. This would make for a slow 1C charge rate on your 600mAh packs but it only costs $30.

Pick one up and leave it in your glove box.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXVV43&P=7
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 25, 2001, 08:47 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Those above are great, but just so you have a variety, here is Jeti's Mini Charger at Habby Lobby (EAM also carries it, as do others if you ask).

HLJE002 Jeti Mini Peak Charger for Slow/Parkflyers .... $35.00 at
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers.htm

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old May 25, 2001, 10:48 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,344 Posts

I have a small delta peak charger for park and slowflyers sold by Dymond RC. It is black and charges up to eight cell Nicd or Nimh at .3 or .5 or 1 amp.

I use it as my spare since I got their Smart Charger, but I have used it to charge any of my cells from 500mah to 1700mah. It is around 35 or 39 dollars. It fits in your shirt pocket and works well. And the service at Dymond is excellent.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old May 26, 2001, 12:52 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I need a charger that I can plug into an AC outlet. Most of the inexpensive peak chargers are "Field" chargers & run off your car battery. I have 6-cell packs for my Teddy & 8-Cell packs for my Sky Scooter, would like soemthing that will do both but that I can leave alone & will switch over to trickle when pack peaks.
Old May 26, 2001, 04:45 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
There is not many things out there that is good andf cheap and do all the things you want to do. Sorry. Have to spend more money.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 26, 2001, 08:07 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrebman:
I need a charger that I can plug into an AC outlet. Most of the inexpensive peak chargers are "Field" chargers & run off your car battery. I have 6-cell packs for my Teddy & 8-Cell packs for my Sky Scooter, would like soemthing that will do both but that I can leave alone & will switch over to trickle when pack peaks.
Go to the local Rat Shack and get a cheap 12V supply. That gives you something to hook the charger to.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old May 27, 2001, 01:08 AM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
One area of this hobby where you don't want to be cheap is a peak charger.

I've seen some folks get the inexpensive ones that'll handle 6/7 cells (like the Black Widow) and end up unhappy 'cause now they can't add that 8th cell and run the planes they want or get the performance they desire.

Also, think about how much packs cost. If you get into this hobby at all, you'll end up with several. I count 10 on my bench for 3 different planes after just a year of doing this. A good charger will peak your batteries properly and avoid ruining them (smoking one pack can cost you what you thought you had saved buying the cheaper charger).

I got an Astro 110D ($90) as a first charger and I'm still happy with it. Another good one is the Hitec 335. Both have a digital readout which you'll consider necessary after having one for awhile.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old May 27, 2001, 10:45 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Sorry, Spending $100 on a charger is not an option for me, I am on very limited budget this year. I have a couple of cheap wall chargers that i am currently using & have not smoked a pack yet, I mathematically figure charge times & also check packs for heat, I guess I will have to keep doing that.
Next year a decent high cost Peak charger may be in the budget. I may take a look at the Multiplex Pico Charger, I need a spare Teddy pack anyway & that charger is on $25.00
Old May 27, 2001, 11:13 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I had a "limited budget" too.. hehehe.. now I have a hitec cg 335 and a dymond supersmart... Oh well, we all find our own ways to justify the cost.. If you can't afford it, wait till you can, but a good peak detect charger is great to have... out of the 2 I have.. the dymond charger is more versatile, but requires a bit more fidgeting.. the hitec is great for the field
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 27, 2001, 11:52 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Will the Great Planes Electrifly charger handle 8-Cells? This is a cigarette lighter charger but maybe I can work around that.
The $30 price tag is very tempting.
Old May 28, 2001, 12:39 AM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
According to the Tower catalog, it will. (Says "can be used on any 6-8 cell NiCad or NiMH.") But it puts out so little current, you couldn't use it for anything bigger than your Sky Scooter packs.
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old May 28, 2001, 05:15 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
I agree with DaJudge, buy a decent charger if you can - even if it means that you can't get that new plane. At the moment I'm torn between a Twinstar and a 13.8V power supply - I think I'll go with the power supply for the convience (hey, I don't like going into the garage to charge up ).

There was a time when I didn't think so, but a decent peak is definately worth the money in this hobby.

Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C