HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2014
9 Posts
Question
Help! buying my first multirotor and dont have a clue what to invest in

I am trying to decide what sub 100$ quad to learn on and was wondering your opinions.

I have looked at a ton of them but am not sure what would be best or even what even best in my case would be.

A few of the quads I have looked at so far...

Blade nano qx & pico
Syma X1 & X2
Cheerson CX-10 & CX-30
HUBSAN X4 H107

and many many more!

but I still cant decide what's best.

I don't like low flight times or automated flips(I would rather learn to do my own) cameras or controllers that are meant for small children, also looking for something durable and that will last.

If you have a quad you wold be willing to let go of cheep this christmas pleas PM me with the details, all I want is something to learn on I am really interested in building my own but I need some experience and capital before making it happen.

also I was wondering if there are any RC groups in my area I live in california near San Francisco

Happy holidays to all and thanks for reading my post!

Regards,
John
protopilot is offline Find More Posts by protopilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:57 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,489 Posts
Hard choice since all are good but if you want to learn to fly real Acro then no choice-
get the nanoQX.

Low flight times are just part of these micro quads. You can get slightly larger batteries to increase flight times but they are heaver so do hurt the performance.

Another issue is that you do not want to runs these for too long and they need time to allow the motors to cool down between flights. If you want to do a lot of flying then get extra batteries and a second copter (no need for a whole kit). The you just swap to the other copter to keep flying.
waltr is online now Find More Posts by waltr
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Syma x5c-1 upgraded. Or if you have a little more go get the latrax alias.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:33 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Here's my Latrax

Latrax Alias (1 min 0 sec)
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:40 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
708 Posts
Doesn't matter much. Buy and fly - don't research......
You will end up going through a few....anyway.

If you are learning inside, consider the X4 or the NanoQX.
If outside, the Syma 5 or the WL 636 or similar......

I'd say it's time to move on from the Syma X1's, even though I learned on them. The X5's are getting great reviews.
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
I started out with a Hubsan X4 107C. I paid about $60 for the quad and another $10 for extra batteries. Then I moved up to a Syma X5C for and extra batteries for about the same price as the Hubsan.

The Hubsan is actually more difficult to fly than the Syma. I think this is because the controls are more sensitive and the Hubsan is much smaller so it reacts quicker. The Syma seems sluggish to me now.

Both of my quads have cameras, but you can get both the Hubsan and Syma without them and save a few dollars. I have a knock-off of the Hubsan 107 without a camera that is very nimble especially in high rates mode. It is easy to remove the camera and landing legs from the Syma and that helps the handling characteristics.

I just picked up a Hubsan 107D with FPV capabilities for about $150. I have enough stick time to try FPV flying which I find to be the next skills challenge. Like you I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a quad to learn how to fly. I spent the money on extra batteries and props.

Both the Hubsan and the Syma are very sensitive to the wind. I'll fly both outside when the conditions are right, but I spend a lot of time flying indoors. Fortunately I teach at a middle school and the gymnasium and auditorium are great places to fly.
Brassburnz is online now Find More Posts by Brassburnz