SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:46 AM
Joined Nov 2014
115 Posts
That looks sick and in this day and age sick means good!
Adamskido76 is offline Find More Posts by Adamskido76
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:28 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
317 Posts
@RexGalore, that is great! Thanks for sharing the great experience! It was around this time last year that I bought a DeltaRay and taught myself to fly. I've since discovered the fun and joy of scratch building, so I buy and fly fewer BNF models, but I recently dusted off the Delta Ray and brought it out to the club field where I was helping out other new pilots with buddy boxing their scratch builds. After the students were done flying with a buddy box, I took out the DR and for those who I thought were ready for a solo flight, showed them where the panic button was, and passed the TX around vs using a buddy cord.
makattack is online now Find More Posts by makattack
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:14 PM
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
92 Posts
After putting 2 Batteries through the Ray today I love it. After some high flying I practiced zooming about 15 feet off the ground around the perimeter of a soccer field! On beginner mode you have to turn and then immediately turn again to get a tight fast corner and zoom around the edge of the field .
Earlier was very Lucky when I hit some high branches in a 100 foot tree and kind of glanced off them and regained control!!! The thing flies like a Spaceship!!!
The area I have is a soccer field (Old Drive In) bordered by another drive in they use once a week in the summer- Large Area!!! Southington, CT..
Sarge707 is online now Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2014
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
After putting 2 Batteries through the Ray today I love it. After some high flying I practiced zooming about 15 feet off the ground around the perimeter of a soccer field! On beginner mode you have to turn and then immediately turn again to get a tight fast corner and zoom around the edge of the field .
Earlier was very Lucky when I hit some high branches in a 100 foot tree and kind of glanced off them and regained control!!! The thing flies like a Spaceship!!!
The area I have is a soccer field (Old Drive In) bordered by another drive in they use once a week in the summer- Large Area!!! Southington, CT..
Glad you are liking it. In case you're a novice like me, be careful about trying slow turns at low height - the DR will stall if you aren't careful about speed. My buddy was doing this and broke the entire front end off the airframe (3rd time) - being low he didn't have time to press panic - he's more advanced than me so even intermediate skilled pilots can lose it in a turn if you don't have the throttle up high enough.

Hope you're always going to pilot from the downwind end of the field and keeping the play upwind and out of the sun. A couple of the places I fly that takes some extra effort and isn't ideal, but it's a LOT safer to watch both issues (wind and sun).
GottaZoom is offline Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:58 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
97 Posts
Sarge! Stay away from those trees! Especially now that you've teased them!
Seriously, my SkySurfer spent about 2 hours 60' up a tree until the wind blew it free (one of the few times I was happy for wind to come up!).
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:00 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
Just winterized mine, or would that be snowerized it. Took the wheels off and will be handlaunching and landing in the snow. I put some aluminum tape over the bottom removeable hatch so the snow wouldn't get in. I cut an air inlet in the top, just above where the front of the batt is. Taped over the holes in the motor nacelles to keep the snow out. Just need some flying weather now to test it.
By the way, it has brushless motors and a 3 cell batt. Orange rcvr in it with no gyro system. Great little plane and very quick with power system.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:05 PM
Joined Feb 2014
97 Posts
Thanks all for the kind comments! The Z-foam had no problem taking the Ace Hardware Glow Spray fluorescent orange and Rustoleum Ultra primer black paint. Kept the coats on the light side, and it worked out fine. I put the Duck tape in the "arm pits" between the nacelles and the fuselage, where it looks like it would really funnel the hay in! I used small pieces to brighten up the nose cone (also helps to level the wings on landing).

Yesterday afternoon, the wind slowed down just before sunset, so I was able to get in my second flight in the hayfield. Knowing what to expect, it was far more relaxed, and didn't require the able assistance of the "oh crap" button. It's neat how the motors "talk" to you as the AS3X adjusts the differential speed to correct the wind induced yaw. I did a loop (surprisingly tight and fast!) and a couple of rolls (on the slow side, but didn't lose much altitude). Bringing it up fairly high, I switched off the motor, and was very impressed with the good glide. I flew around the field for about 5 minutes, then landed (on my own, no button, the Delta Ray really flares nicely!). I put it back up for two more quick flights and landings. If possible, I was even happier with the Delta Ray.

Today, it was solid clouds, the temp never got above 33 degrees, but there was NO WIND! First thing, the Delta Ray went up, but not very far up. I flew slow speed figure 8's around the hayfield at low altitude (one of my favorite things to do). There's a low spot where you can fly down below where you stand while following the contour of the field. The Delta Ray did great at this with about half throttle and was still nicely responsive. The battery lasted for 10 minutes, with about 20% left.

I only have the one original battery now (I need to get some more 1300's and convert to Dean's connectors) so I flew 2 batteries through the SkySurfer (still no wind). The SS's longer wings and somewhat higher speed make the low altitude stuff seem a little more difficult, but no foam was damaged.. Also, the SS's high KV motor is so much louder and shrill compared to the quiet Delta Ray.

Here's where I noticed a shortcoming of the Delta Ray RTF package. The DX-4E. Now I am NOT a radio snob, but the DX-4E doesn't measure up to the "Blitz RC Works" Microzone 5 channel TX that was included with my $110 SkySurfer RTF. The sticks do not have the same positive feel to them, and the spring resistance and centering seems weak to me. My radios, with one exception long ago, were and are always on the "low end" (my best current 2.4 is a $55 FlySky FP-T6). Not to put anyone's equipment down, I also was not favorably impressed with the DX-6i. It didn't appeal enough to me to pay $110 more for it and the BNF vs. the RTF with the DX-4E.

I should mention though, that the included charger works very well. I use it with my battery booster jump starter box that has a "cigarette lighter" outlet in it (using it inside a car with that short cord would make me too nervous).

I flew my Tidewater seaplane in the afternoon (the wind was still gone, and the cove I fly from at the park pond was still ice-free) and at sunset I flew the Delta Ray again. Mostly close-in, low altitude, low speed but with a few rolls higher up, too. A few belly landings and short flights rounded out about 11 minutes (pushing it a bit) on the battery. Pretty much the perfect RC day!

I'm really enjoying becoming more familiar with the Delta Ray. It's quiet, maneuverable, capable of slow flight and is a lot of fun!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:30 PM
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
Thanks all for the kind comments! The Z-foam had no problem taking the Ace Hardware Glow Spray fluorescent orange and Rustoleum Ultra primer black paint. Kept the coats on the light side, and it worked out fine. I put the Duck tape in the "arm pits" between the nacelles and the fuselage, where it looks like it would really funnel the hay in! I used small pieces to brighten up the nose cone (also helps to level the wings on landing).

Yesterday afternoon, the wind slowed down just before sunset, so I was able to get in my second flight in the hayfield. Knowing what to expect, it was far more relaxed, and didn't require the able assistance of the "oh crap" button. It's neat how the motors "talk" to you as the AS3X adjusts the differential speed to correct the wind induced yaw. I did a loop (surprisingly tight and fast!) and a couple of rolls (on the slow side, but didn't lose much altitude). Bringing it up fairly high, I switched off the motor, and was very impressed with the good glide. I flew around the field for about 5 minutes, then landed (on my own, no button, the Delta Ray really flares nicely!). I put it back up for two more quick flights and landings. If possible, I was even happier with the Delta Ray.

Today, it was solid clouds, the temp never got above 33 degrees, but there was NO WIND! First thing, the Delta Ray went up, but not very far up. I flew slow speed figure 8's around the hayfield at low altitude (one of my favorite things to do). There's a low spot where you can fly down below where you stand while following the contour of the field. The Delta Ray did great at this with about half throttle and was still nicely responsive. The battery lasted for 10 minutes, with about 20% left.

I only have the one original battery now (I need to get some more 1300's and convert to Dean's connectors) so I flew 2 batteries through the SkySurfer (still no wind). The SS's longer wings and somewhat higher speed make the low altitude stuff seem a little more difficult, but no foam was damaged.. Also, the SS's high KV motor is so much louder and shrill compared to the quiet Delta Ray.

Here's where I noticed a shortcoming of the Delta Ray RTF package. The DX-4E. Now I am NOT a radio snob, but the DX-4E doesn't measure up to the "Blitz RC Works" Microzone 5 channel TX that was included with my $110 SkySurfer RTF. The sticks do not have the same positive feel to them, and the spring resistance and centering seems weak to me. My radios, with one exception long ago, were and are always on the "low end" (my best current 2.4 is a $55 FlySky FP-T6). Not to put anyone's equipment down, I also was not favorably impressed with the DX-6i. It didn't appeal enough to me to pay $110 more for it and the BNF vs. the RTF with the DX-4E.

I should mention though, that the included charger works very well. I use it with my battery booster jump starter box that has a "cigarette lighter" outlet in it (using it inside a car with that short cord would make me too nervous).

I flew my Tidewater seaplane in the afternoon (the wind was still gone, and the cove I fly from at the park pond was still ice-free) and at sunset I flew the Delta Ray again. Mostly close-in, low altitude, low speed but with a few rolls higher up, too. A few belly landings and short flights rounded out about 11 minutes (pushing it a bit) on the battery. Pretty much the perfect RC day!

I'm really enjoying becoming more familiar with the Delta Ray. It's quiet, maneuverable, capable of slow flight and is a lot of fun!
Are you flying in the Grass Fields that extend from the Rocky Hill Ferry Launch?
I see them Flying out there All Summer when I am on my Jet Ski?
Sarge707 is online now Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2014
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
Are you flying in the Grass Fields that extend from the Rocky Hill Ferry Launch?
I see them Flying out there All Summer when I am on my Jet Ski?
No, my club is in Middletown.
The Rocky Hill club's field is part of a turf farm. Nobody would buy our "turf".
Right now, I'm pretty much off landing gear - belly all the way!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2014
97 Posts
Center of Gravity/Motor(s) Thrust Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
For those wanting get a better handle on the CG location here is pic of where it is. I like drawing a line on the bottom so I can put it on my CG jig. If you draw a line from the rear of the gear socket openings that is 14.4" from the tail. The aft seam of the "finger hold" plug is 13.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Just winterized mine, or would that be snowerized it. Took the wheels off and will be handlaunching and landing in the snow. I put some aluminum tape over the bottom removeable hatch so the snow wouldn't get in. I cut an air inlet in the top, just above where the front of the batt is. Taped over the holes in the motor nacelles to keep the snow out. Just need some flying weather now to test it.
By the way, it has brushless motors and a 3 cell batt. Orange rcvr in it with no gyro system. Great little plane and very quick with power system.

Gord.
I know where the stock cg is (basically right at the finger grips), BUT:

It seems to me that with the stock battery pushed as far forward as possible, my Delta Ray seems a bit tail-heavy. The extreme pitch up with full throttle (from low speed) is one symptom that might also indicate need for some motor down thrust. I realize that the faster a (mostly) flat-bottom wing flies, the more lift it makes, ipso fatso, the plane climbs. But it REALLY pitches straight up from throttle (and it really ain't that powerful).

I'd like your opinion especially, Gord. Setting up the plane for brushless, did you put any down thrust in the motors? I realize that it's possible to mix down elevator with throttle position in a computer radio (which the DX-4E ain't) as a fix as well.

To test the CG theory I taped 1/2 oz on the top of the fuse just at the wing LE. There was somewhat less pitch-up, the plane seemed steadier when returning to straight-and-level after a turn (it seems to dive a touch more than I expect when coming out of a turn.

It was warm enough to fly without gloves (!!!) today, but I'm still not lovin' the DX-4E.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 05:34 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
I didn't change the thrustline of the motors. More or less straight ahead. The 1550 three cell batt. is set where the back of the batt is parallel with the back of the hatch cover. I have the bottom of the plane marked with a magic marker but it's in the van right now. I set it up flying using elev. trim so it flies fast and flat at full throttle.. Stays pretty much level at any throttle setting other than dead slow, of course.
Fun little plane and very aerobatic for a delta.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Today, 12:17 AM
Joined Feb 2014
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I didn't change the thrustline of the motors. More or less straight ahead. The 1550 three cell batt. is set where the back of the batt is parallel with the back of the hatch cover. I have the bottom of the plane marked with a magic marker but it's in the van right now. I set it up flying using elev. trim so it flies fast and flat at full throttle.. Stays pretty much level at any throttle setting other than dead slow, of course.
Fun little plane and very aerobatic for a delta.

Gord.
I moved the 1/2 ounce another inch more forward, and the full-throttle pitch-up is less, and handling is about the same. It's interesting that yours stays more level. If you could verify the cg you're using, it'd be interesting.

I had lots of duties and it was really windy today, so the Ray had the day off. I had Googled "DX4E mods" and didn't get anything directly, but eventually found my way to this video on stick tension adjustment:

DX6i Stick Tension Adjustment (5 min 22 sec)

So, I gave it a try (only 4 screws to lose on the DX4 - watch out for the antenna, it flies out of the case). Tightening the tension seemed to work pretty well for the left stick, which had almost no centering before. The right stick center feel is somewhat better, but there's quite a bit of "slop" there. It's a bit tricky to balance the tension of both axes, so I'll fly it to try it like the video suggests, it's not hard to adjust.

Has anyone tried adjusting the DX4 sticks? I also found a video where a guy pulled the DSMX module out of a DX5 and built a plug-in module for his Taranis radio which kept the channels and settings compatible. Very interesting concept, but way beyond my meager electro-hacking abilities!