HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Thanks for sharing, a very cost effective solution for solo flying 1/2-A's.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:27 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Like the little streamer.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Like the little streamer.
The streamer makes it easier to see in videos and looks cool too. I think the drag helped me control it while I was learning to do loops and 8s, etc. I haven't tried one on the Baby Flite Streak. I may not since it's big enough to see, and it flies so well I don't want to mess with its aerodynamics. It even helps me see the Li'l Satan on dark days. That thing is like watching a bumble Bee.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Here's another recent flight of the BFS

Here's a recent flight at my new flying club. They haven't seen a CL flyer out there since 2001, but they still mow the field and it's a nice little setup, just bumpy for landings. It's Jackson Flyers Association at Fort Jackson, SC near my house. I have rekindled interest in some of the guys that had forgotten the thrill of hanging on to a wild beast. Now they're giving me some planes they've pulled out of storage, including a baby Flite Streak with a Norvel .061, a Ringmaster, and a larger Guillotine kit. It's RC but I can maybe convert or trade. They had me flying an RC the other day too. I've been invited to go tomorrow and fly a .40(I think) Goldberg Shoestring tomorrow. It will be my first larger plane to fly. The wind is supposed to be 15mph, but I suppose it'll handle that better than my little planes.

Anyway here's my Streak that I built last Spring and still love to fly more than any of my others.
Full screen HD is enabled.

Baby Flite Streak messin around (4 min 4 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,456 Posts
norvel pulls great! plenty of meat for the acro. =)
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
Norvel pulls great! plenty of meat for the acro. =)
That's my original BFS with the Tee Dee .051.
I had to rebuild the gummy old Norvel and fix a crack in the tail on my gift Streak, so I haven't flown it yet. I bet the Norvel will be considerably faster. I still need to make a fine thread NVA for the new one so I can run it on a bladder. I never have had much success with hard tanks.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
mjd
MikesRC
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Aug 2003
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
When I built the Li'l Jumpin' Bean I hadn't thought up this stooge and paid the price in mid loop.
I think my fondest 1/2 C/L memories from my teens at home was with L'il Jumpin' Beans. Number two I fitted flaps, can't recall exactly what dimensions but likely about 3/4" chord. Tightened up the loops for sure, in those days I was flying on dacron lines and just horsing around having fun. Golden Bee, undoubtedly a TF nylon 6-3 prop and Apollo 15 fuel. That prop and the 5-1/4x3 were the standard choices in LHS around here, and did any two props take more licking and keep on ticking over the years? Those and Tornado yellow nylon. Didn't see many Cox props. I recall how the blades would bend back from prangs and straighten out again at rpm. Ahhh......
mjd is offline Find More Posts by mjd
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
I'm using a Master Airscrew 5-1/2x3 on the Baby Flite Streak. That's my favorite prop for most of my 1/2A stunt.
Speaking of the Jumpin' Bean, mine went through hell while I was learning to stunt. Re-glued the nose and various breaks in the fuse. Then the bellcrank broke loose and gutted the wing. But I'm about finished re-building and modifying it. I added flaps too, 3/4" at the root and tapered. This is the first time sewing hinges for me. It turned out pretty good.

Here she is before I covered it. It used to be a radial mount for a Black Widow. Now it's a Beam mount:
Name: bean-bones.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 173.2 KB
Description: Name: Bean-bones2.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 139.3 KB
Description:

And now I'm putting colors on it. I need to add some more color to the rest of it. This is as of tonight:
Name: Bean-flames.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 193.1 KB
Description:

You can still see some old dings and repairs. I had to relocate the bellcrank. Once the repaired nose broke in flight and the engine swung over and chopped the LE in two.
I have a Norvel .061 and a fine thread NVA to run with a bladder. Should be ready to maiden by this weekend.
Name: SAM_2043.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 109.5 KB
Description: Bean-Norvel
Last edited by RknRusty; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Sweet.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
Golden Bee, undoubtedly a TF nylon 6-3 prop and Apollo 15 fuel. That prop and the 5-1/4x3 were the standard choices in LHS around here, and did any two props take more licking and keep on ticking over the years? Those and Tornado yellow nylon. Didn't see many Cox props. I recall how the blades would bend back from prangs and straighten out again at rpm. Ahhh......
Yes, I never used the Cox props much except for their black nylon ones used on the RTF's. The gray ones were somewhat brittle and less tolerant in crashes, prangs. Also they were more expensive.

I survived on Top Flite, Tornado, Grish, nylons etc. I used mostly 5-1/4x3 and 5-1/4x4 props on my 1/2-A CL's on Cox .049 Babe Bee's, Golden Bee's, and Black Widow's. Those nylon props were nearly indestructible. About the only caveat was balancing them. They were manufactured unbalanced.

I found that a 5-1/4x3 Top Flite prop on my Cox .020 Pee Wee and Top Flite R/C Schoolboy provided the same speed and thrust as the 4-1/2x2 Cox, but provided a minute more flight time due to the lowered RPM's on the Pee Wee.