HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Question
Update :)

Well, It's been a couple weeks now since I got the Champs in the mail. I can't BELIEVE how much fun I am having!!!

So far only a few bumps and scratches, flying on windy days, but nothing needing repairs yet. This thing is resilient!!!

So, My question is. Once I get to where I can fly this thing in any pattern I want, on command, land, take off, wind or no wind...what's next? Should I step up to a Piper J-3 or something similar?

I went to my local hobby shop and invested in a DX6i, huge difference!! And it came with a receiver So I'm not concerned about what the plane comes with as far as radio system,

I was thinking a Piper J-3, something larger, then after that, POSSIBLY trying the F-5 again...possibly

SemperFiSC is offline Find More Posts by SemperFiSC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:02 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
For people with the champ the most common second planes are usually either the Parkzone ultra micro T-28 (if you want to stick with micros) or a Hobbyzone Super Cub LP BNF(if you're looking to move up to bigger planes). The super cub is 3-channel so the transition to bigger planes is nice and easy plus once you're comfortable flying it you can modify the wing, adding ailerons to it and learn to fly 4-channel. There's a guide for how to do that here (the brushless motor upgrade is optional and not required for the ailerons upgrade).
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Also since they're both bind-n-fly, they come with everything you need and will work great with your new DX6i.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
When you say J-3 do you mean the parkzone ultra micro J-3? If so I'd consider that more of a lateral move as it's also 3-channels and roughly the same size as the champ. If you meant something else then can you specify which one you have your eye on?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Here are some slow flying rtf 4 channel options

Tigermoth

Piper

Micro182

And if you're feeling daring this pitts is easier to fly then a t28, it just wont withstand a crash as well:
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:16 AM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok, so i'm in the same situation as you, as far as have the champ for a few weeks also. I dont have the dx6i yet, but you said it was much better...How so? i'm getting one eventually, but figured i'd spend that money on another 4ch UM before buying the radio...

what makes it better with the champ then the stock radio?
thx'
bm2

correction you said huge difference...
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Last edited by bm2thirsty; Apr 24, 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: ed
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:23 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Besides tactile differences watch the 3, 4th videos here about dual rates and expo. Not really needed for champ but as you step up in planes you will need it at some point.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20851900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
ok, so i'm in the same situation as you, as far as have the champ for a few weeks also. I dont have the dx6i yet, but you said it was much better...How so? i'm getting one eventually, but figured i'd spend that money on another 4ch UM before buying the radio...

what makes it better with the champ then the stock radio?
thx'
bm2

correction you said huge difference...
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:15 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,394 Posts
I wouldnt hesitate to recommend an Apprentice. They make a plug and play version, but it isn't much less than the rtf version that comes with a Dx5. You could either sell the dx5 or keep it as a buddy box, or radio for rc skydiver or whatever.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syner01 View Post
Besides tactile differences watch the 3, 4th videos here about dual rates and expo. Not really needed for champ but as you step up in planes you will need it at some point.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20851900
Nail on the head right there!!

It is AMAZING the difference in feel with the ability to adjust dual rates/expos!

I'm still a noob with these terms but to put it plainly. I am able to have my controller set up (thanks to the guy at the hobby store for spending literally 45 minutes with me after buying it to set it up for my Champ!) so that the closer my stick is to Zero Point, the less extreme the movements are on the control surfaces! So if I barely move the stick left, right, up or down, the elevator or rudder just barely moves. The further out I move the stick, the further the elevator/rudder travels and and the quicker!

THe biggest difference is noticed when coming in for a landing, it's so much easier to level the bird out and get a good, controlled landing! Also flying figure 8 patterns are greatly improved by not being so touchy!!

Well worth the money, my friend!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
BTW, I got it for $220 with the included receiver at the local hobby store. You may be able to find it cheaper online however, I strongly suggest going to a hobby store. Like in my case, if they are not busy and you bring your Champ with you, someone there may be kind enough to help you set it up specifically for your plane right then and there. Which is great because it let's you truly get the benefit from the new controller and also you get to see HOW they make the adjustments so that you can fine-tune it later if need be, or tune it for a different bird down the road
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
that's for people that have that kind of money to spend on a remote. for instance i got 2 used dx7 for the price of 1 new one here on the classifieds. both work great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFiSC View Post
BTW, I got it for $220 with the included receiver at the local hobby store. You may be able to find it cheaper online however, I strongly suggest going to a hobby store. Like in my case, if they are not busy and you bring your Champ with you, someone there may be kind enough to help you set it up specifically for your plane right then and there. Which is great because it let's you truly get the benefit from the new controller and also you get to see HOW they make the adjustments so that you can fine-tune it later if need be, or tune it for a different bird down the road
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:11 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Gotcha, thx Semper, I actually got to try out a 6xi today on a yd-22, obviously a completely different plane, but the controls did feel nice.

Did you mess with the servo arms that connect to the white pieces on the rudder and elevators? I haven't messed with mine yet and I have no clue what they are called lol

Boats
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
Did you mess with the servo arms that connect to the white pieces on the rudder and elevators? I haven't messed with mine yet and I have no clue what they are called lol
You mean the white pieces of plastic attached to the elevator and rudder on your champ?

They are called control horns (pictured above). The rod that connects to the control horn is sometimes referred to as a linkage (also shown).

The white piece of plastic on the servo pictured below is a servo arm. It's what the linkage connects to (in the case of your champ it connects to a linear servo).

Moving the linkage to different holes on the control horn changes the amount of throw (how much the control surface moves). If you move the linkage to a hole closer to the control surface (in the case of the picture above, move it up) the control surface will move more. If you move the linkage to a hole further away from the control surface it will move less. More movement means the plane will be more responsive but also more of a challenge to fly so don't do so until you've become comfortable with the current settings.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Rayne - great photos and an even better explanation! Good job. Too many of us (me) take it for granted that all of the terms, etc are understood. Thanks!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
@Rayne, yup, thats exactly what i was talking about! thank you. Mine is setup like the pictures you posted. I havent messed with them cuz well, i didnt want to screw something up....for the record i was pretty darn close at calling them servo arms! lmao

@semper, did you ever mess with the "control horns" on your Champ? cwutididthere?

boats