HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
ETA on Flyduino Mega?

Any idea when the new FC will be in? Building an Octo for AP (first time build, I like to challenge myself) and would LOVE to have a Flyduino Mega FC. With the B.O.B.s you get all the perks of something like, say, the HFC boards + GPS, at around $600+ less. Liking that...

Also have questions regarding linking an xBee to the FC, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
coverthis is offline Find More Posts by coverthis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim08 View Post
Hi everybody,

i want to buy the flyduino Mega board and flash it with the Arducopter soft and use Drotek 10DOF IMU with MPU6050 etc.
Can anybody out there tell me if that is possible ? Will this system behave more or less like the APM1 or APM2 ? I understood that the APM2 has more sensors and GPS, which i really dont need (at the moment).

I am using Arduino Mini with Multiwii at the moment but i am not very satisfied with stable and baro mode.

Any practical experience would be highly appreciated !

best regards

Joachim
There's a thread for that, it's possible but I think time would be better spent finding out why your MW is not so stable?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382503
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:12 PM
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2011
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coverthis View Post
Any idea when the new FC will be in? Building an Octo for AP (first time build, I like to challenge myself) and would LOVE to have a Flyduino Mega FC. [...]
These is the commonly introduction for a sad (and expensive) story about a guy who want to start with the full package...

You better downsize your project. Otherwise every little problem inevitably cause a frustrating amount of time and money to fix the whole thing.

If you start with the fcb and tiny four suppo motors on 8" props and 10A ESCs with some small lipos you have a light setup that forgive the first bumps and can be upgrade easily with landing gear, gimbal, 8 deluxe t-Motors etc.

If you start with the full package, every mistake will cost you more money than the whole small start setup needs.
zerosight is offline Find More Posts by zerosight
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:07 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
absolute right words!
But i guess a lot people started like this, myself included.

Btw. as some asked, The Mega is in shop, this time also in a little bigger quantitie.
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Hi
I've also decided to build a mega Pirates copter
It is a okto become, I think I have the GPS and Freeimu not properly colored
Perhaps one would be so kind to help me properly integrate GPS and Freeimo
I have the following
Flyduino MEGA Flight Controller CPU Board 2.1
Freeimu 0.4.3 10DOF (MPU 6050/ACC) (HMC 5883L Mag)(MS 5611 Baro)
FMP 04 GPS Modul (MT 3329)
APM Planer 1.1.92
Arduino 1.0.1
Heliluder is offline Find More Posts by Heliluder
Last edited by Heliluder; Jun 06, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:50 AM
Axel N.
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2011
83 Posts
LEDs on Power Distribution Board

Goofy23,

I got the power distribution board here that I would like to use...
- The two LEDs on the board are for "illumination" purpose only?
- The voltage divider is for reducing the voltage so it can be used for other things?

Any answer is highly appreciated.
axelnied is offline Find More Posts by axelnied
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
I just want to say thank you to Paul & the flyduino team for again giving me such a great support.. It's not my first time and not my last time that I buy stuff there.; They always help me out.. I know I'm a tough costumer hehe.

Thanks!
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
Winterswijk, Netherlands
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Fail to download

Hi,

I have a Flyduino Mega V2, which has always been very good.

But lately, I encounter problems when downloading.
When arduino finishes compiling, and will start the actual download (FTDI led blinks very briefly), the flyduino resets, but then reboots immediately, without the download proceeding.
Arduino will freeze, and ultimately timeout. The Flyduino will still have the old configuration.

Sometimes I have to repeat many times (5 or so) before it will load correctly.

I was suspecting the FTDI, but once getting past the initial phase, it downloads fine. Also the GUI always connects fine without problem.

I also notice that when flyduino almost always resets when:
- connect the serial cable
- connect the USB cable
- start the GUI or Arduino (com port initializing).

It did not do this so often before (only very seldom).
It is and always has been very reliable for flying... It never resets when not connected to the FTDI.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

BTW, I have the power wire from FTDI to Flyduino disconnected (always have done so), and power from the ESC / battery (just like normal flight).
wilco1967 is offline Find More Posts by wilco1967
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Divide et impera rev2 and freeimu 0.4.3 problem

Hi Guys,

A few months ago I got enthusiast about multicopters and I decided I wanted to build one. I started reading up to building one, did some tests with Arduino UNO with genuine WM+ and after being satisfied I started building one. I choose to clone one of Warthox's video's since they provide a lot of essential information. The frame is now done for the most part and I am finishing up with electronics.
This is where I run into problems.
I decided to use a divide et impera rev2 board with a arduino mini pro 5V and a freeimu V0.4.3. Installing these parts was straight forward. 3,3v -> 3,3v;SDA ->SDA;SCL -> SCL; GND->GND. I prepared config.h (multiwii2.0) uncommented freeimu 0.4.3 and commented(disable) INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS and uploaded it to arduino. So far, so good. When opening multiwiiconf I can connect to the board and start reading imu. But signals show like earthquake and do not respond to any motion of imu. Searching the internet did not help me out. I decided to remove free imu from the board and connected it to an Arduino UNO. After uploading the multiwii to this board I started testing again and freeimu works like a charme.
I investigated some more. I found out that when I'm measuring connections between SCL pin at divide board and A5 pin of mini pro there is no connection. Same goes for SDA and A4. This seems very strange to me since at the arduino UNO these connections are made directly and work fine.
I really feel like I'm overlooking something but I can't figure it out. I'm starting to think ik somehow killed my divide et impera board.
Can someone help me out a little?

Thanks a lot.

Remco
kinetix is offline Find More Posts by kinetix
Last edited by kinetix; Jun 09, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:49 PM
Winterswijk, Netherlands
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetix View Post
Hi Guys,

A few months ago I got enthusiast about multicopters and I decided I wanted to build one. I started reading up to building one, did some tests with Arduino UNO with genuine WM+ and after being satisfied I started building one. I choose to clone one of Warthox's video's since they provide a lot of essential information. The frame is now done for the most part and I am finishing up with electronics.
I decided to use a divide et impera rev2 board with a arduino mini pro 5V and a freeimu V0.4.3. Installing these parts was straight forward. 3,3v -> 3,3v;SDA ->SDA;SCL -> SCL; GND->GND. I prepared config.h (multiwii2.0) uncommented freeimu 0.4.3 and commented(disable) INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS and uploaded it to arduino. So far, so good. When opening multiwiiconf I can connect to the board and start reading imu. But signals show like earthquake and do not respond to any motion of imu. Searching the internet did not help me out. I decided to remove free imu from the board and connected it to an Arduino UNO. After uploading the multiwii to this board I started testing again and freeimu works like a charme.
I investigated some more. I found out that when I'm measuring connections between SCL pin at divide board and A5 pin of mini pro there is no connection. Same goes for SDA and A4. This seems very strange to me since at the arduino UNO these connections are made directly and work fine.
I really feel like I'm overlooking something but I can't figure it out. I'm starting to think ik somehow killed my divide et impera board.

Thanks a lot.

Remco
I'm not sure, as I don't have a version 2 board, but I suspect you did not install the LLC (or it is faulty) with it's own pullup resistors mounted on your Divide et impera board.... that would explain the missing connection.

And what about the 3.3Volt ? Working ?

just a guess.....
wilco1967 is offline Find More Posts by wilco1967
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot.

Remco
Hi,

you can't measure a connection between the sensor I/O and the arduino I2C pins because there is a LLC in between!
- Pls measure the output voltages of the LDOs (3.3V and 5V).

- Pls measure the voltage level on SDA and SCL (for 5V side and 3.3V side; no sketch loaded); you should measure the respective voltage levels there.

Since your FreeIMU has onboard Pull-Ups you should not enable the 3.3V pull-ups on the DIVIDE (also refer here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3445).

Pls report back!
aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSnightmare is offline Find More Posts by aBUGSnightmare
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBUGSnightmare View Post
Hi,

you can't measure a connection between the sensor I/O and the arduino I2C pins because there is a LLC in between!
- Pls measure the output voltages of the LDOs (3.3V and 5V).

- Pls measure the voltage level on SDA and SCL (for 5V side and 3.3V side; no sketch loaded); you should measure the respective voltage levels there.

Since your FreeIMU has onboard Pull-Ups you should not enable the 3.3V pull-ups on the DIVIDE (also refer here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3445).

Pls report back!
aBUGSworstnightmare

Found the problem. On my test setup with arduino uno everything was powered by arduino but on d.e.i. board external power is needed to power imu. So i plugged in my lipo and i was up and running. My mistake. (blush ;-)
I'm still a little confused by these pullups. The freeimu has 2 powerpins to choose from. One says 3.3v and other say Vin. From what i have read the Vin pin can be powered from 3v to 16v (can't remember exact values) and 3.3v pin can only handle 3.3v. I have connected freeimu via 3.3v pin. If i understand this right, i won't be using freeimu's internal pullups this way, so i need the enable 3.3v pullups (close jp7)from d.e.i. board, right?

Thanks again.
kinetix is offline Find More Posts by kinetix
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Why shouldn't you use the freeimu's pullups.. They work better than the software pullups..
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Found the problem. On my test setup with arduino uno everything was powered by arduino but on d.e.i. board external power is needed to power imu. So i plugged in my lipo and i was up and running. My mistake. (blush ;-)
I'm still a little confused by these pullups. The freeimu has 2 powerpins to choose from. One says 3.3v and other say Vin. From what i have read the Vin pin can be powered from 3v to 16v (can't remember exact values) and 3.3v pin can only handle 3.3v. I have connected freeimu via 3.3v pin. If i understand this right, i won't be using freeimu's internal pullups this way, so i need the enable 3.3v pullups (close jp7)from d.e.i. board, right?

Thanks again.
Hi kinetix,

no, keep JP7 open for your setup! The pull-ups on the FreeIMU were activated by default (connected to 3.3V via a solder jumper; regardless if you supply the IMU with VIN or 3.3V), so everything is fine.

Rgds
aBUGsworstnightmare
aBUGSnightmare is offline Find More Posts by aBUGSnightmare
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
just tried to upload a software to a new flyduino mega (v 2.1)

unfortunately i get errors......

"avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x0c != 0x14
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
"

someone an idea, whats going wrong?
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind