HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:36 PM
Arlington VA
Joined Jun 2003
53 Posts
Switch- Nobody uses them?

Does anyone use a switch on their electric? Are there any JST type combo switches out there? I hate fooling with the batter connector and battery every time I want to charge or turn on/off.
NOVAflier is offline Find More Posts by NOVAflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:14 PM
Pocono Mountains, PA
Joined Jan 2002
197 Posts
The have a JETI 110 Esc that has a switch. I use it on my Slow Stick. It really doesn't matter to me when I am getting 10-15 minute flights. I have to change the pack anyway.

Chris

http://www.allerc.com/speedcontrollers.htm
Rivethead is offline Find More Posts by Rivethead
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:16 PM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
I have a switch on my Tantrum. I guess that it really doesn't matter to many because they fly out there pack and disconnect to change it.

On my handlaunch I had a plug that when removed would turn the system on, when the dummy plug was inserted it would turn it off, and my charger had a plug that would fit in and would allow me to charge. This was very convenient. It is, however, not really feasible to do that on my parkflyers.

KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:01 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Safety First

Since props can be sooo dangerous, never assume a plane is safe to handle even if the switch is off. As long as a battery is connected and things can and do fail (like a switch) it is prudent to make that assumption.
I like the Jeti, and have three Jeti 110's w/ switches but I am still very careful when the batt is in the circuit.
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:32 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
The 010/Phoenix 10 combos come with switches (the "regular" Phoenix 10 doesn't). I like the switch because I can sit down to install the battery pack, go out to the flight line and flip a switch to launch. BUT, be sure you disconnect the battery as soon as you can after landing. I turned the switch off on one of my planes, got distracted talking to someone and left the pack plugged in overnight! The ESC draws power even when the switch is off. My 3 cell li-poly pack got dragged down to 1.5 volts. Luckily it did charge back up again, but my lesson was learned!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 13, 2003, 06:42 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Tres
Keep track of that 3 cell li-poly pack. my experience with Lit of any chemistry is that when you take their voltage that low they'll still take a charge and look like they're OK, but they just won't deliver the same power again.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:08 AM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
I've got switch with my Phoenix/Astro combo, and always just disconnect the battery out of habit. I also always turn my TX on before I plug the battery in.

I do have one saving grace though, have the Curteks installed, and they will only work with the switch on. Sorta like dummy lights in a car.

Geof.
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:55 AM
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2002
28 Posts
What I've done on a couple of my models (just like KonstantKrash) is use a barrel jack/connector. The jack is mounted on the plane and is wired as normally closed between the ESC and battery. When I wish to recharge the pack that is in the plane, I just charge through this jack. When I wish to turn the system off, I also use a dummy plug (no connections) into the jack to open the circuit. I use the 2.5mm on small park flyers w/7.2v small batteries and I use the barrel connectors on higher voltage.
FlyingV is offline Find More Posts by FlyingV
Last edited by FlyingV; Jul 13, 2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:35 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
I have put switches on every plane with exception to the Mini Speedwing. Like Tres, it's nice to be able to install a pack at home drive to the field and then fly with out messing with the battery, especialy when the battery is under a hatch or wing.

I usually cut the + power lead going from the ESC to the battery connector and solder in a micro slider switch. This disconnects all power from the ESC so there is no drain. Make sure you put shrink tube over the solder connection to avoid shorting.

John
War Bird Radio is offline Find More Posts by War Bird Radio
Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:14 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==Keep track of that 3 cell li-poly pack.==

This is something that happened about 8 months ago. I've used the pack probably 40 times since then and have noticed nothing unusual. Run time and power output appear to be identical to my other 3x1020 pack.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:35 PM
but it's a nice obsession
Sandy, Utah
Joined Apr 2003
1,049 Posts
The only plane we use the switch on is the Three Dee because on that one you have to put the wing back on after you connect the battery, so we have the switch mounted on the fuselage. All the other ones we have removed the switch if the motor controller had one.

Jon
jgmtens is offline Find More Posts by jgmtens
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:38 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by War Bird Radio
I have put switches on every plane...

I usually cut the + power lead going from the ESC to the battery connector and solder in a micro slider switch. This disconnects all power from the ESC so there is no drain.
I do the same.

I don't trust arming switches on esc's. Why don't they just switch the + instead of... whatever they do. They're still half on all the time!
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:42 PM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
I've seen enough switches get flaky or fail completely to be nervous about them. Why would you spend hundreds on a plane and then bet it all on a 30 cent (if that much) switch.

Mario
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:27 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Used to use them (because they came with the brushed ESCs) . Now I just cut them off close (those ESCS that come with switches) and solder ends together. One less thing to wear out too . So far all of my planes have easy battery access, so no need to ever keep battery in the plane. Also batteries are (so far) only good for one flight, so always removing it after a flight and putting in a fresh pack to 'go again'. I suspect once > 30 minute flights are possible, I may start to think about pesky 'switches' again......
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Apr 05, 2005, 11:00 AM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
OK, I've been checking out switches and connectors for a while, and it is a bad state of affairs.
Connectors, a lot can not handle many amps. Like a JST, they rate them for 5-7 amps, but can only safely handle 3A.
Switches, I do like the switches on the speed control, otherwise you have to wire a switch between ESC and battery, and once again have to handle the amps you plan on pulling through it. Small, light switches like those used on ESC's can only handle .3A.
Telling the fella at the electronic store I needed a switch to handle 20A, was returned with "What are you using it on?". I told him an electric rc airplane, and weight is a consideration. He was floored, and couldn't help me to much.
Anyone else out there dealing with switch and connector aggravation? I'd like to hear from you about it.
Brian.
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy