HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2008, 04:46 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1 Posts
Question
ducted fan jets

I'm new to jets and I have been banging around the internet trying to see what's available in ducted fan powered jets (electric). Everthing looks pretty small. I was hoping to find something larger than a 40" wingspan in a scale fighter. Are they out there and if so, where should I look? gm
gary mathers is offline Find More Posts by gary mathers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2008, 05:31 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
There are lots. Some of the more well known would be:

http://www.tamjets.com/

Also try Yellow aircraft and BVM. BVM offers drop in edf systems. He is making edf specific versions of his DF kits, but the EVF will drop in to any viojet powered kit.

While Yellow does not offer an EDF kit per say - there are many conversions going on and are relitively easy to do.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Feb 09, 2008, 05:33 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,470 Posts
And don't forget Jet Hangar Hobbies. They may be going by JHI nowadays.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Try www.classicflyingmachines.com

www.ejf.com

Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,190 Posts
you guys forgot to warn him about the sticker shock as you get into larger EDF
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Since he wants a larger than 40" span model price shouldn't be a problem

Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:16 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
How about the foam (there's that taboo word again) Haoye F/A-18 (45" WS for $170.00), or the FlyFly F-22 (45" for $180.00) and F-86? (56" for $190.00)
available at EJF and other places?

Or the 'glas and wood 55" BAE Hawk Chinese clones that you can get on Ebay for $75.00 if the bid goes right?
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:39 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,445 Posts
Like Spelo said, Classic Flying Machines. Has a nice minifan twin F-15, and a single AP900 fan size F-18 soon to be released.(as soon as the snow leaves I'm gonna fly my beta build of it) Traditional balsa build, with foam core wings.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:59 PM
Joined Feb 2008
32 Posts
r/c scale mag. has 78" a10 warthog plans. All parts are readly available. I'm building one using 120mm EDF,s
pontebuda is offline Find More Posts by pontebuda
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,456 Posts
Aeronaut makes a very nice Panther and a Rafale, both can be had with retracts if wanted.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelberts
How about the foam (there's that taboo word again) Haoye F/A-18 (45" WS for $170.00), or the FlyFly F-22 (45" for $180.00) and F-86? (56" for $190.00)
available at EJF and other places?

Or the 'glas and wood 55" BAE Hawk Chinese clones that you can get on Ebay for $75.00 if the bid goes right?

That Haoye F-18 looks pretty interesting. Especially after seeing it available for $116. I'd really like to know more anout it before committing the cash though. Since you posted the pix... do you have one of those? I got a few questions for ya if you do.
As for the FlyFly stuff, it's ok but not all that great. I bought the Mirage and have already destroyed the stock landing gear. (it's like butter but will break after a few straightenings) I fitted mine with a bungee hook and am still flying it though as it flies well.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
Afghanistanitastic!
Joined Nov 2004
162 Posts
Let us not forget EJF's A-10. Nice looking plane, but could get a little pricey what with two fan units and all.
a65l is offline Find More Posts by a65l
Old May 07, 2008, 07:45 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l
Let us not forget EJF's A-10. Nice looking plane, but could get a little pricey what with two fan units and all.
Depends on what you consider pricey. Mine didn't hurt that bad, but I did already have the motors, esc's & batteries from my twin HET Rafale. The A-10 comes with the fans.
The A-10 is a much better flying model and better quality on the construction than the Rafale too. Flies well even though it's draggy enough to be held in the 75mph wot category on the mild setup I'm running. http://www.manatee-rc.com/Reviews/Warthog.html

If you want to get to pricey that starts happening in the 120mm class. You're talking about 600 bucks just for batteries there.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2008, 08:05 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
A-10 on ebay for dirt cheap if you hunt around.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old May 08, 2008, 03:33 AM
Heidelberg, Germany
Joined Apr 2000
298 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

My name is Rhett and I am a retired military pilot living here in Germany and a long time RC flyer from when I was a kid in the 60s. I think that I have a fairly good understaning of the principals of flight and jets in particular, but I must admit that I am reaching out for a little help when it comes to electric powered ducted fans. Back in the mid-80s when I was living in Orlando and BVM, was just becoming known, I went to Bobs house /shop and was impressed with his gas powered ducted fans and later bought one. It was a real challenge to get it all set up properly and the gas powered fan unit was very fickle and subject to overheating and dead sticks were to say the least often, and hair raising--It was not until I arrived here in Germany nearly 6 years ago that I dove into electrics full speed ahead, and since then I have experimented with electric RC Jets,( all from the German company--Multiplex) and all were pusher props,such as the 'Micro Jet' and 'The Picco Jet'. I have never flown any of those with a 'brushed motor' always with Astro Flight inrunners and 3 cell Li-POs and dedicated Li-Po chargers and such, so at least I under stand those parameters as well. I have now felt confident to move one step further and recently purchased the Multiplex 'Twister",, and before you say any thing, I have researched the pros and cons of the Twister. But let me also say, that the (German) RC club that I am a member of here, is of course filled with the many Multiplex flyers, including the Twister, But as you may guess I am loyal to My home hobby shop in Orlando, and along with my Twister ordered--2 Thunder Power--eXtreme-V2--3300--3 cell packs just for this Jet,, along with the Phoenix-60 ESC,, and several HS-65-HB servos,, My question, Is this, is this a good set up to learn EDFs on? I do not expect split second 360s on the axis, nor any other sort of spectacular vertical performance, I just want to sort of 'break myself in' on this new sort of ducted fan for myself. I have been a steady customer of-HI-MAX motors over the last several years on other electric projects, is there a drop in replacement for the HI-MAX that is compatible with the Twister? Or should I keep in mind another whole motor, battery, esc, fan combination?--Thanks so very much to you all for your potential response, hope you are all having as great flying weather as we are over here right now, hope it lasts for a while--Rhett
Rhett is offline Find More Posts by Rhett