SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2007, 03:33 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
Help!
Micro gear? (help?) :)

I've been playing with foam models with the Aero Ace gear, and having GREAT luck. It's really wet my appetite for something a little more "high tech" ! !

Can someone suggest a setup? The more options the better (more servos) .. and I'd also need a Radio so if the whole thing came complete that would be awesome. It would be used primarily for powered sailplanes so something with a NICE outdoor range would be really helpful!

If anyone has some good light used gear, I'd be interested in that as well!

Any thoughts? Please?
melcrose is offline Find More Posts by melcrose
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
with the requirement that it be used for powered sailplanes, you immediately reduce your avail options to a much smaller group.

My recommendation is the DX7 with the new small Rx. Light enough for small 1-2oz planes (with suitable gear) and powerful enough to spec a sailplane. I think the new Rx is around 2g, and you can find small servos and motors almost everywhere these days. The AeroAce sized stuff is a COMPLETELY different animal, and you would be better off with a set of Plantraco gear IMHO. Unfortunately, there is still a barrier between standard gear and the stuff most of us use for micro gear, although that barrier seems to close a bit everyday.

But, if you are interested, I have a set of Cirrus MJ gear that I would be glad to sell you, real servos and gear, about 12g total not counting motor and battery. Nice stuff, used in a few Sparc planes and currently residing in a BlueAngel handlaunch glider. Good range and fairly resistant to interference, but nowhere near as clean as the 2.4ghz stuff. The early models were a bit glitchy on the servos, but my set is the revised and has been great, just moved down to smaller gear a while back and not using it anymore. $75 shipped.
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:19 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
You can do what you want with 72Mhz, but the cost may well be double the price of the DX7 route (assuming Spektrum ever gets that AR6300 out to the public).
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:30 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
Thanks much for the replies/ information. I've been reviewing the sticky but having NO CLUE makes all the info pretty much meaningless.

Re: Sailplanes, I should have said that I build them out of foam. (foam plates, actually). I know that sounds lame, but you can get some really nice scale looks that fly like a dream. I have a new one I just built that will rocket up on Aero Ace gear and come down like a dream.
ANYWAY, light weight gear (as long as the range is good for a few hundred yards) is fine for me!
Thanks for the offer on the gear, I may very well take you up on that. BUT, I have no concept of size or what you're offering, so if it's OK I'll take the day to check it out and get back to you.
Again, I appreciate the information Very Much !
melcrose is offline Find More Posts by melcrose
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:41 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
The Plantraco stuff is rated to about 300 feet. The Spektrum AR6300 receiver is supposed to have about 1000 foot range, which is about what most of the micro 72Mhz stuff will give you.

Since you are suggesting really small models, you might want to look at the actuator capable receivers. www.bsdmicrorc.com has a good selection of the 72Mhz and Plantraco 900Mhz stuff to give you an idea of prices.
Last edited by village_idiot; Aug 22, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
Shut up and FLY!!!!!
Philadelphia, PA__ Old people hate guitar solos.....I WIN!
Joined Jan 2005
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
The Plantraco stuff is rated to about 300 feet. The Spektrum AR6300 receiver is supposed to have about 1000 foot range, which is about what most of the micro 72Mhz stuff will give you.

Since you are suggesting really small models, you might want to look at the actuator capable receivers. www.bsdmicro.com has a good selection of the 72Mhz and Plantraco 900Mhz stuff to give you an idea of prices.
What's with the DOMAIN NAME crap???
This is NOT AN RC SITE

Thank you for fixing the error village_idiot !
Ibanezjimjim666 is offline Find More Posts by Ibanezjimjim666
Last edited by Ibanezjimjim666; Aug 23, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:53 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
You are correct, I'll edit the post with the correct URL.

fixed the above link.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:49 AM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezjimjim666
What's with the DOMAIN NAME crap???
This is NOT AN RC SITE
Dude, take it easy. He simply forgot to put in "rc" at the end.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
Shut up and FLY!!!!!
Philadelphia, PA__ Old people hate guitar solos.....I WIN!
Joined Jan 2005
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyeflight89
Dude, take it easy. He simply forgot to put in "rc" at the end.
???
ummm.. huh?

village_idiot fixed the problem last night.
I shouldn't have to explain myself to anyone but village_idiot but since the Groups have been plagued with report-happy members I will edit my post.

I just want to find out about the Rxs just like you.
Cheers! Jim
Ibanezjimjim666 is offline Find More Posts by Ibanezjimjim666
Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
BTW, I have no first hand information about the 72Mhz micro stuff, all the stuff I have is from Plantraco, and until my latest order arrives not too much of that.