SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2005, 05:20 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Are digital servos worth it?

I just bought a Futaba 7CAP with S3151 servos in preparation for my future glow project. The package price was only $15 more than standard ball-bearing servos ($234.99 total at Tower), so it's not really going to break the bank. I'm just wondering are there any benefits with digital over standard servos? They will be going into a ModelTech Magic.
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2005, 07:06 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,397 Posts
They are more powerful but their main advantage is better centering.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:09 PM
Roxby Downs, South Australia
Joined Mar 2005
59 Posts
As stated they centre better but the downside is they use more power.
Desertraptor is offline Find More Posts by Desertraptor
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:35 AM
Joined Aug 2004
133 Posts
I wouldnt bother for something that small. If it was bigger I might but really I would only use digis in anything 120 3D+ If you want to, go for it but bare in mind they use more power so you either get less flghts or a bigger battery pack.

Fly-guy
Fly-guy is offline Find More Posts by Fly-guy
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
Al_
West Bend, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
I usually run out of gas before I ever have any power issues. Even at that, the transmitter is what I am more concerned about.
Al_ is offline Find More Posts by Al_
Old Mar 30, 2005, 01:02 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Better precision.. definitely.
Power use.. they use LESS under load... more too hold at idle. (much more at idle)

Power output.. you can get more power in a smaller space using a digital servo. (but you still have to pay attention to rated torque.. first limit is usually the GEARS.)
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:09 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Thanks for your advice. Sounds like it won't hurt to use them as long as I watch my battery. It's really too late anyway, they're already in transit to my door.

Al, are you concerned about the 7CAP Tx? or are you saying you're concerned about Tx power in general?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:53 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,397 Posts
Tx power in general - applies to the stock 600mAh NiCd battery pack only. You can upgrade to a 1800-2500mAh NiMH pack but will need a different charger - the stock one which comes with the radio can not charge these.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2005, 01:05 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Tx power in general - applies to the stock 600mAh NiCd battery pack only. You can upgrade to a 1800-2500mAh NiMH pack but will need a different charger - the stock one which comes with the radio can not charge these.
I have a Triton, so I think I'm set. It'll charge almost anything.

That's one thing I hate about my cheapie Futaba Tx.. No battery meter. Just an LED that blinks when power is low. What's the use of that?
Old Mar 31, 2005, 01:40 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Pull the battery from the TX when charging/cycling on the Triton...

1) if the battery melts down for some obnoxious reason.. it won't harm the TX.

2) the battery plugs in... its 30 sec to get it out.

3) the TX has a diode which can interfere with some charger's peak detection. (and prevents cycling)

4) It lets the battery cool better if you are doing a fast charge.

5) There's no reason not to that I can think of...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 01, 2005, 05:45 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
My experience with digitals was a very direct comparison with 2 H9 Edge540's.
The first one had analog servos.. Hitec 615/645's... elev/ail/rudd. The plane is very decent thanks to careful linkage install along with tight couplers/clevis's.
The second Edge was built identically for someone else(I did the build), only we used digitals all the way around... same linkage set-up identically... Can you say "HOOKED UP!!" ? The digitals were FAR superior in my opinion to anything I've ever flown. Extreme precision is the only way I can explain it. I still think the first plane is(it's my plane) very stable and solid in the air, but to this day I can't forget the feeling of being hooked up to that second Edge. These 2 planes are identical in every way including powerplant(Moki 1.80), reciever(Futaba), hardware...etc.. the only diff was the servos. I still like my Edge....digitals or not... and can't really justify to myself spending that kind of money to upgrade(I have other things I like to do with $$$), but if you can, just buy the digitals upfront.. then there's nothing to upgrade.. they are worth it if you can afford it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Apr 01, 2005, 06:32 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrant
but if you can, just buy the digitals upfront.. then there's nothing to upgrade.. they are worth it if you can afford it.
Done and done.. I'm kind of a precision freak, so these should do the trick. They were a cheap upgrade anyway, $15 off sale price + $30 off Tower special + Free shipping = Really good deal. Tower is great for big items.

Now all I need is a sale priced Saito 56.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:43 AM
Dunce!
Durham, UK
Joined Apr 2004
398 Posts
There faster, stronger and have a more torque loading.

They are centered but on the ground because they search for the centre all the time they twitch a little bit but this is normal because they look for the exact centre.

If this glow plane is quite small i would just put standard servos in, but if its quite large like a petrol model i would put the digitals in.

I would keep the digitals for a good aerobatic plane, for aerobatics its best to have a high torque servo on the rudder.

Hope this helps you

Cheers Paul
v6focus is offline Find More Posts by v6focus
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:32 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
I tell you what.. I have them installed in my H9 Twist now, and even though I haven't flown it yet (too much snow) I love them. They're so quiet and precise. I can hear every 'pulse' as I move the sticks in tiny increments.. Really cool. I have a standard servo on the throttle channel and it sounds so ugly and messy compared to the digitals. I'm thinking another digital servo on the throttle might be a plus for 3D stuff.