SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Skookum GPS

Taking SK-720 to the next level

Splash

GPS for your SK-720

Skookum Robotics has released a GPS module that turns the SK-720 into a Altitude/GPS unit. This unit only uses one extra 3 position switch for different flight modes. Position hold, altitude hold, and manual mode for all out 3D. The GPS can even be engaged inverted. The GPS also includes flight logging through Google maps to record and track flights. SK-GPS incorporates "Bail Out" function. You can set the unit for “flight floor and ceiling” heights that works for both single rotor and multirotors. This unit is set apart due to its high versatility from beginner to expert, smooth flight to hard core 3D. Aerial photographers and videographers can also benefit from this system.

Freatures

  • Position hold, inverted capable.
  • Alititude hold
  • Return to home.
  • Bail Out mode.
  • Flight Logging.

Go here for more information.

Last edited by ndfly700; Jul 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM..

Discussion

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:10 PM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,885 Posts
$495 is kinda steep for a GPS these days.It doesn't explain how altitude hold works,is there a Barometer chip,or just GPS based?
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:04 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Flying Pitcher's Avatar
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
well, my garmin gps shows altitude and quite often it just keeps climbing even when i'm just standing parked in a car...must be tire pressure increasing as the sun sizzles them

495 does seem pretty steep. i'd say $100 is quite reasonable, taking into consideration that it's quite useless unless you want to take a pic of the heli and no one else around to grab camera or controls...and of course if you rely on bailout, you shouldn't even be flying these toys. Real pilots go down gracefully rather than having some fancy electronic save the bird...
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
$495 is kinda steep for a GPS these days.It doesn't explain how altitude hold works,is there a Barometer chip,or just GPS based?
There is a barometer in the GPS module.
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:04 PM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,885 Posts
That's about $20 worth of electronics components ,$475 for the name?If they would just lower their price to something reasonable this could go mainstream,otherwise it won't sell but to those with deep pockets!I wish them luck on their current pricing.
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:01 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Flying Pitcher's Avatar
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
That's about $20 worth of electronics components ,$475 for the name?If they would just lower their price to something reasonable this could go mainstream,otherwise it won't sell but to those with deep pockets!I wish them luck on their current pricing.
exactly!! i'd rather just buy another heli and fly by hand instead of getting something like that..

well, Troy on the other hand might get it for his Rosie i guess He flies skookums and according to him is the best controller...
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:15 PM
Registered User
heli_haven's Avatar
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Mar 2012
1,428 Posts
I LOVE my Skookums...but I ain't spending nearly 500 bucks on a GPS addition...Might buy another SK-720...but not a GPS dongle thingie...
heli_haven is offline Find More Posts by heli_haven
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:47 PM
Registered User
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,885 Posts
My multi rotor GPS add ons cost $10/20 bucks and work great,osd version was $40 .Aquires sats in doors and have Rth .This stuff gets cheaper everyday !
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:53 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Flying Pitcher's Avatar
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
My multi rotor GPS add ons cost $10/20 bucks and work great,osd version was $40 .Aquires sats in doors and have Rth .This stuff gets cheaper everyday !
well, apparently not if you consider that little piece of technology...up north
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
I'm always amused by silly comments such as "it only contains $20 worth of parts" and such. Since when does any manufacturer of any product create an item and price it based on exactly what the raw parts cost? If its so easy and cheap, then head out to Home Depot and Radio Shack and build one!

The fact is this is not even close to the GPS units you have your multi rotor. This unit was designed for 3D flying rescue which means the GPS unit must be capable of functioning while inverted and still maintain enough sat locks for the rescue. No other GPS on the market has been purpose built for this at this point.

Sure its expensive.......it can be and will be until something else that does the same thing comes around to compete with it, but until then they get to name their price. This is a not a new product and has been out for 1.5 years now selling very well at that price.

It may not make sense for everyones needs, but there are those of us out there with helis that cost 3-4K, and a $500 insurance policy pays for itself when one crash is avoided.

On the other hand, you can buy a lot of mall helis and clone parts for $500, so it may not make sense for everyone
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:35 AM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I'm always amused by silly comments such as "it only contains $20 worth of parts" and such. Since when does any manufacturer of any product create an item and price it based on exactly what the raw parts cost? If its so easy and cheap, then head out to Home Depot and Radio Shack and build one!

The fact is this is not even close to the GPS units you have your multi rotor. This unit was designed for 3D flying rescue which means the GPS unit must be capable of functioning while inverted and still maintain enough sat locks for the rescue. No other GPS on the market has been purpose built for this at this point.

Sure its expensive.......it can be and will be until something else that does the same thing comes around to compete with it, but until then they get to name their price. This is a not a new product and has been out for 1.5 years now selling very well at that price.

It may not make sense for everyones needs, but there are those of us out there with helis that cost 3-4K, and a $500 insurance policy pays for itself when one crash is avoided.

On the other hand, you can buy a lot of mall helis and clone parts for $500, so it may not make sense for everyone

Well said!

I have four Sk720 Blacks, one equipped with Gps. The Gps is amazing. I fly with a couple other guys and their $1000 gps equipped quads. Great for hovering around. But both have had severe issues all last year with theirs. One hasn't flown his all summer, the other just told me this very eve he is selling his as it never performed correctly. True story!

Mine? Runs perfect and works flawlessly. 3d? Yep

And for those not in the know, the next software release for Skookums Gps is friggin unbelievable. Double
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2014, 04:38 AM
Registered User
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,266 Posts
It is nice to know how good it is, incase I come into a large amount of cash.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
It is nice to know how good it is, incase I come into a large amount of cash.
I used to have a smaller large amount of cash.........
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
That's about $20 worth of electronics components ,$475 for the name?
No thats $475 for the R&D.

Skookum do not sell a lot of units (likely only thousands of the GPS) so the per unit cost for research is going to be very high.
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:35 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
No thats $475 for the R&D.

Skookum do not sell a lot of units (likely only thousands of the GPS) so the per unit cost for research is going to be very high.
Plus, unlike quite a few other companies pushing gps or bail out systems that work specifically for helis. The upgrades or new software releases are free to those who own the products. But let me emphasize as quoted above, no other gps system out there is 3d compatible other than Skookum. If you fly 3d with a heli, or even a quad for that matter. And need gps options allowing you to fly this way. Only Skookum to date allows this. There are rumors of others trying to follow, but only rumors.

I can go fly my Gob 800, which is what is currently equipped with gps. Do flips, rolls loops, tocs, you name it. Hit one of the bail out options. And watch the gps take over and either return my heli to its original take off spot and hover there. Or? Do one of several other saving options I have programmed into another toggle position on my tx. So to date, no other gps system out there allows you to do much more than hover around. Certainly nothing inverted.

Yeah, the price of admission is high. But it took thousands of hours of programming to pull this off successfully. If you were the one putting in all the work and time, also paying other high income employees to be part of the process. (which is what talented employees cost these days) How would you recoup your losses here? Give it away for free?

I wouldn't.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Skookum 720 black and GPS BNIB cheap Brad_striker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Sep 16, 2014 09:35 PM
Sold Skookum SK-GPS ricka1 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Dec 29, 2013 09:47 PM
Sold Skookum SK-GPS ricka1 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Dec 29, 2013 09:40 PM
For Sale Brand new in box skookum GPS plus LED Boston Bob Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Jul 14, 2013 03:51 PM
Sold Skookum SK-GPS - Brand NEW, still in original package form Canade! neavissa Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Feb 08, 2013 04:13 PM