HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2014, 06:28 AM
Joined Apr 2009
16 Posts
Discussion
GP Revolver 70" Gas or Electric?

So I have a 70" Revolver on it's way and am up in the air on the power choice. I have the chargers for large batteries so it will not be an extra expense. I was thinking about going with a dle20 but am not sure if I want that or the electric. Price seems to be very similar, not enough to make the decision for me at least. What do you all think?
yowser is offline Find More Posts by yowser
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2014, 07:45 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
886 Posts
I too have a 70 inch Revolver on its way. Same debate about power options.

We all have different experiences and outlooks. I have hit the wall at .46 motors and 4000 LiPos for cost vs power vs "cool factor".

I have a DLE 20 RA gasser at the start of the break-in process on a GP .61 Escapade. Also have an NGH GT17 gasser with Pitts muffler at the start of the break-in. Mixing Shell Advance oil-base snowmobile oil with mid-grade gas at 32:1 as per TBM recommendations.

Have pretty well made up my mind that the GT17 will go on the Revolver. A Turnigy Rx switch will be the "Kill" switch for the electronic ignition. Don`t need a choke servo on the GT17. Can get at the choke with your fingers.

Gas is cheaper and burns cleaner than glow but burns hotter. Need lots of cooling air over the engine which means cutting the cowl which turns some guys off. Sitting on the ground or 200 feet in the air you can`t see the cuts anyway so why worry about it.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:30 PM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,242 Posts
Age old argument...

You did ask this question on an electric forum, so... my vote is for electric. I have several models in this, and larger, size range. You will spend a bit on batteries vs. gasoline but then, with electric:

The model will be MUCH quieter.
The model will require very little field gear, ie starters, spark plugs etc.
The model can be lighter built as it does not need to absorb the vibration of an engine. This leads to better flying characteristics. ARF's can benefit from dieting too.
Electric models never, ever leave fuel/oil stains on your carpeting.

And lastly but certainly not leastly (?)...
Batteries smell WAAAAAAYY better than gasoline.

Chris
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:53 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowser View Post
So I have a 70" Revolver on it's way and am up in the air on the power choice. I have the chargers for large batteries so it will not be an extra expense. I was thinking about going with a dle20 but am not sure if I want that or the electric. Price seems to be very similar, not enough to make the decision for me at least. What do you all think?
G'day. I just happened to come across this post while browsing for something else. I have a Revolver 70 that I built with an option to fit a DLE 20RA or electric. So she has been built strong, good servos -- 2 separate elevator servos mounted aft, and glassed motor mount. Currently I have a scorpion 4035 380KV motor on 8s 4400 bats. One set of bats gives 8 minutes of amazing fun with lots of full throttle knife edging etc. however, 8 minutes is all you get for about $180 worth of battery (costs a lot to get decent bats here in New Zealand). The scorpion setup with CC 100A esc cost about $350, so if I get 2 sets of bats for about 16 minutes of flying time (close to
$350)-- this is a very expensive power package. The scorpion system though is amazing, very efficient -- gives about 2200 Watts and of course is really just plug and play.

However I want more than just 8 minutes after travelling 1/2 hour to fly -- so DLE parts are slowly arriving -- I have the engine ($400 in NZ). This is a really nice looking piece of equipment. I should get 20 minute easily for very low fuel cost.

So for me -- electric system spectacular, but at this size, gas is the only way to fly longer unless you have deep pockets for decent batteries. (ALSO I do not cruise but wring her out). Cheaper HK bats would suffice if just cruising. I could charge at the field, but 4400 8s bats just take too much out of the charging setup in my experience. I would have to upgrade to bigger deep cycle bats (and add another few hundred dollars!)

Hope this helps.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:08 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
I have approximately $800 tied up in 10 cell, 5000 mah sets, charger, motor and esc for one of my planes that uses an 160 equivalent motor (2700 watts). I curently have 75 flights per battery set. 75 flights times five sets equals 375 total flights so far. $800 divided by 375 flights equals $2.13 per flight. How is that not economical? Fuel has to cost more than that per flight in a larger plane. My 2 cents.

Smooth Pilot
Smooth Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Pilot
Old Feb 22, 2014, 03:11 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
823 Posts
Yes, smooth, if you are counting the cost of the motor, which would be replaced by a engine of some sort and the charger that should last forever, the only thing that is somewhat consumable is the batteries, and it looks like you are getting nice life out of those. Not as costy as one might think at first.
Mike Dubovsky is online now Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Jul 31, 2014, 03:09 PM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
Gas
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
Old Jul 31, 2014, 03:35 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
886 Posts
I mentioned in post #2 that I was putting an NGH GT17 gasser on my Revolver. Flew it that way for a while but thought at 9 1/8 lb it was too heavy.

Replaced the NGH with an OS .91 FS (15cc) that was looking for an airplane. Reduced the weight to 8 7/8 lb and I think the Revolver is more nimble in the air at this weight. Also flares nicer on landing.

But I don`t like the cost and mess of glow so I have just bought an RCGF 15cc gasser and am waiting for a rainy day to install it in the Revolver.

The HK 15cc Pitts muffler finally came back into stock and I bought same.

Bill
Old Aug 01, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
Just curious why you went with the rcg 15cc at 825 grams??
DLE 20cc ra 820 grams.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 05:44 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,367 Posts
i guess depending on how many batteries you buy and how many flights you want to do per visit to the field is a big part. i have over 20 - 2200 3s batts so if i bring them charged to the field that's a lot of flying per visit. yes the big batts are way more money so its a little different for sure. i like the sound and smell of gas but i only fly electrics as i got into the hobby 3 years ago and electric just seem so simple and clean. don't own any gas field stuff so its all foreign to me. i think gas for a big plane makes more sense than gas for small planes. i love the revolver 70 and have been looking at them alot. just about to finish up another arf. beechcraft bonanza. my next plane will be a revolver after i thin the herd. walt
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Aug 01, 2014, 09:17 PM
Joined Apr 2008
255 Posts
The bigger packs take longer to charge as well.
I've been electric the last few years and I just recently got the bug for gas. Ran nitro in the past.
As a matter of fact I fired up a nitro truck I had and realized that I miss the sound that a ic engine makes.
I can't stop watching the video of the revolver and the DLE 20. I have a big grin on my face on the flyby.lol
Old Aug 01, 2014, 09:21 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
886 Posts
I broke in all three gassers on my .61 Escapade.

Weights all up are:

DLE20RA 9 1/2 lb
NGH GT17 9 1/4 lb
RCGF 15cc 9 1/8 lb

All other components the same.

Bill