HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Discussion
90mm Sport Jet --5th Generation Fighter Style FINALLY A GOOD VID

I`ve been kicking around building a 90mm size Sport Jet that combines the features that I like from some of the 5th gen fighters and prototypes (F-22, YF-23, F-35).

I did some sketches the other day and decided it had enough promise to build a 30mm sized edf to test the concept and to see it in 3D.

Today I sat down with some 3mm depron and threw something together. It`s a flyable rough prototype. Nothing fancy.

I`m going to look it over for a while and see what changes would help the looks.

I`d also welcome suggestions and opinions. Positive and negitive input is welcome, but if you don`t like something try to tell me why, and what you`d suggest to fix it.

Anyway, here it is. Fire away.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 07:39 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,809 Posts
Nice Lee!!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old May 05, 2013, 06:31 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,083 Posts
I like it. It's different. I hope it flies well. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old May 05, 2013, 01:38 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I`m thinking that the wing is bigger than it needs to be and that the fuselage could be a little larger. It will need to be deeper to hold a 90mm.

Getting some gear in it. I`m just going with elevons on this to keep it simple. A 90mm would have ailerons and rudder-vators on the V-tail. Then mix in flaperons if it needs some help on landing.

If the wind lays down some this PM I`ll see if I can get some flight vid.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 05, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 05, 2013, 02:18 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,593 Posts
Nice work.
I came across one several months back you might like.
It is called the Mig49 'Frostbite'.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...84&prevstart=0

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old May 05, 2013, 03:50 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Yeah, that`s a nice looking concept. Thanks for the link Eric.

Got her RTF. The AUW with a 450mah 3s is 110g and it has about 90% t/wt ratio. I may cut a cheater hole in the bottom to boost thrust a little. The wing isn`t strong enough for a bunch of speed, so I`m more interested in thrust.

With a 3s 950mah the weight goes up to 138g but the flight time would be 6min or so. But at the higher weight th/wt drops quite a bit of course. I`ll try it at 110g first and see how it goes.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old May 05, 2013, 04:11 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Cheater hole helped some. Now it`ll just support its weight at 110g.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 04:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,101 Posts
Looks cool lee! Should fly good!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 05, 2013, 04:42 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Thanks Brent. I was looking at this thing at HK, for a 90mm starting point, but it was just too far off. Would probably be way too nose heavy too judging by the fan location.

RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 05:51 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
I did a maiden and it flew well. CG was dead on (I did glide tests when it was just depron and 1oz). The roll was pretty hot at first so I went to low rate and that fixed it. Pitch was good. It was pretty fast so the wings were flapping some in the gusty wind. So I added a carbon spar that is flat and wide, so I just sliced the wing and glued it in vertically. I should be able to throw it around a little better now. Will get some vid on the next flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 06:12 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Thanks Brent. I was looking at this thing at HK, for a 90mm starting point, but it was just too far off. Would probably be way too nose heavy too judging by the fan location.
They don't fly worth a darn either.
Several models were tested here in AZ by big names (Bob Ruff, Mike Donovan, etc.) and each one proved very unflyable. Not their fault at all... the design is sketch, inherently unstable, etc.

Yours looks more thought out and proportional. Good luck with this one, looks fun!
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old May 05, 2013, 06:37 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Thanks Vic. I put some gray paint on it and got some video. It`s very gusty and there is a very strong roller right were I`m flying so it looks crazy, but for a 4oz jet it`s doing very well. Should be a blast when the wind is decent.

I`m uploading to You Tube now and when I edit my ugly face out of the vid, i`ll post it. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 07:38 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
I took this video down because it was so lame. The other one is passable, but I`m going to try another video when I get some good conditions.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 08, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 05, 2013, 07:47 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
I splattered some paint on it. It was a fun weekend project that worked out. Now I have another backyard flier and maybe sometime I`ll make a big one.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 05, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old May 06, 2013, 09:01 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,095 Posts
Got to fly it in calm conditions this morning. Much more fun to fly. It needs somefine ttuning on cg and some aileron differential to straighten out the roll axis, but over all it flies great.

It has much better performance at 110g than it does at 140g. I'm surprised at the difference, but it's very obvious.

I'll get some better video soon. It looks very much the part of a 5th gen fighter in the air. I think that most people would swear that they are seeing a scale F-22.
RCG Plus Member