HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
647 Posts
Wow. With all the nitpicking and comparing all the haters are doing, you're probably all helping HK hone in on the design for the next version. Let them do the work. If you're really so against the plane, bumping the thread to the top so you can take a stab at it doesn't help your cause. Vigilante internet haters... lol. Let the people who actually want the plane talk about it and it might disappear. Bad publicity is still publicity & with such low prices, that's all HK needs to lure in the ignorant spenders. Just my $0.02.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Wow. With all the nitpicking and comparing all the haters are doing, you're probably all helping HK hone in on the design for the next version.
The next version will be another facsimile of whatever plane is in the thread seems to get the most hits.

I'm thinking if we bump this one enough, they will be forced to copy their own plane and maybe some real innovation will happen!!!
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Somebody said it was a user uploaded manual probably designed to stir up trouble (as if the plane itself won't stir something up).
Good point. But if so, I wonder why HK doesn't take it down. Tacit condoning, maybe?

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
The next version will be another facsimile of whatever plane is in the thread seems to get the most hits.

I'm thinking if we bump this one enough, they will be forced to copy their own plane and maybe some real innovation will happen!!!
I'll admit that was funny, but while you're busy hating, they're laughing all the way to the bank. Have fun with the thread. I'm outta here.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
Brand loyalty is interesting. My brand loyalties are inspired by good products and good service at a good price and spare parts availability.

A business would be ill advised to depend on other types of customer loyalty to protect its intellectual property, and would be better served by lawyers, trademarks, patents, and copyrights.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Brand loyalty is interesting. My brand loyalties are inspired by good products and good service at a good price and spare parts availability.

A business would be ill advised to depend on other types of customer loyalty to protect its intellectual property, and would be better served by lawyers, trademarks, patents, and copyrights.
I agree with you there, but I think the rules are a bit fuzzier over there and probably difficult to enforce from over here..
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
What I don't understand is all the accustions pointed at HobbyKing for designing/copying and then building what looks like an AJ Slick. I think people are forgetting the fact that HK are a retailer, they don't build or design anything. They source product they think people will like or are approached by manufacturers and then sell that product.

How that sits them on the dodgy scale I don't know, but remember they aren't the ones copying/stealing the design but they are guilty of selling that product I guess.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
What I don't understand is all the accustions pointed at HobbyKing for designing/copying and then building what looks like an AJ Slick. I think people are forgetting the fact that HK are a retailer, they don't build or design anything. They source product they think people will like or are approached by manufacturers and then sell that product.

How that sits them on the dodgy scale I don't know, but remember they aren't the ones copying/stealing the design but they are guilty of selling that product I guess.
When you work for hobbyking and attach a "Fly The Best" (3dhs slogan) decal to a HobbyKing plane and make an advertisement video of it... i think they know exactly what they are doing. it's all very calculated. We're not talking a simple buying of a similar design to sell, this goes way deeper than that...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
828 Posts
How much does it cost for 3DHS to design these models? Research and development? Flying to China to meet with manufactures? Marketing?

They just took their laser cut original files and got it built somewhere else. Who knows maybe from the same company.

How about you just give us all 20% of your paycheck? Probably wouldn't be fair would it? China has copied things like this forever.

Robert King

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post

kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Wow! I don't have the two models to make a side-by-side comparison, but looking at the pictures from the HK site and comparing them to the 3DHS build manual, it's pretty easy to see that it's an exact copy. Now, copying an airplane using modern digital tools can't be that hard. Just apply some debonder and take the plane apart piece by piece, use a scanner of some sort to measure the pieces and feed it back into your laser cutter. Done! (Pretty much)

I've always been trying to give HK the benefit of the doubt because they provide a cheap way to get people into the hobby, but if this is really an exact replica (and the evidence sure points that way), this is seriously uncool! They are obviously targeting 3DHS in a very apparent and intentional way.

But it also reflects on HK as a company who can't come up with a good 3D design (they've tried numerous times) without creating an exact copy of someone else's plane. It's sad to see a company with vast resources not using them to invent and drive the hobby forward. Look at ValueHobby, for example, in comparison, who comes up with its Sabre X. They instead went with an original design and came up with something unique that also flies very well.

It's just sad to see one of the most successful companies in the business resort to imitation instead of invention.
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
697 Posts
Isn't it more likely that the ARF company building these for 3DHS is selling them to HK? It's not like the Chinese have ethics.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Isn't it more likely that the ARF company building these for 3DHS is selling them to HK? It's not like the Chinese have ethics.
highly unlikely as that builder would most likely have the entire 3dhs catalog pulled and both EF and PA would take notice of said builder and also pull their models if they had them built there.

Some people over there have ethics but some don't.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
It's not like the Chinese have ethics.
Why do these discussions always go into xenophobia and racism territory? I know countless Chinese people who are very honest and have an excellent moral compass. Don't judge an entire people based on the business ethics of a certain business.
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Spend lots of time in China? Have contacts over there?

I've been twice and I will say it's a definite culture shock compared to the US. I don't think you meant any harm in your post, just be careful.

I'm not remotely concerned with the ethics over there, I'm more concerned with the ethics of one of the largest companies in this hobby. The big Goliath company who must have tons of resources, but can only resort to ripping of a mid sized US company. They must be proud... I won't hate you if you buy from them, your choice- but I'll definitely applaud you if you support the real work...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:22 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,860 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to buy this plane, give a flight report, and as a bonus compare it to the AJ slick... Anyone?
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair