HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,496 Posts
Discussion
1/8 & 1/6 scale Hellcats in balsa

Here's a scratch build project that my brother and I are working on together with the hopes of competing in team scale when it's done. This is an enlargement of a smaller (1/8 scale) Hellcat that I designed and am currently flying. The 1/8 scale model is a really nice flyer and can only get better in the larger scale. Construction is pretty typical balsa and light ply with some birch ply and hardwoods where necessary. Cowl and belly pan will be in glass with a few vacuum formed accessories here and there. Pretty typical really. Progress will most assuredly be slow due to other commitments but will hopefully be steady. Thus far the vertical fin is pretty much done, the horizontal stab is coming along nicely, and the fuselage framing has begun. Still working on the design of the wing which is to include the scale slotted flap mechanism of the full size. Here are some pics showing construction thus far.

Nearly complete vertical fin.

Construction of the stab.

Fuselage getting started.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Last edited by Chad Veich; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, FL, Edgewater
Joined Nov 2010
149 Posts
Looking pretty nice so far. Keep up the good work!
no1isnormal is offline Find More Posts by no1isnormal
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
828 Posts
Yeah thanks for sharing looks great so far!

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,626 Posts
That's the "traditional" building style I touted during the formation of the forum..

It's what we grew up with,learned on,and hope to perpetuate.-there's just something about the framework........

Well done.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,596 Posts
You keep that 'Hellcat' away from my 'Kate'! lol Nice work. Wish I knew CAD and laser stuff!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,496 Posts
ARUP,

If you have some design know-how (which you obviously do) then learning how to get from A to B in a CAD program would not take you very long at all. I know this because I have no formal training in CAD myself. It's all been learned on the fly. However, I was drawing plans the old fashioned way for a decade before I ever sat down at a computer. It's the folks who purchase CAD software thinking that it can somehow teach them how to design stuff that run into problems. As far as the laser cutting, I can help you out with that should you decide to take up the CAD challenge.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:42 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,496 Posts
Have not had a great deal of time to work on the Hellcat due to a looming deadling on an architectural model but the horizontal is slowly nearing completion. At this point both elevators are basically finished with the exception of some final filling, sanding, and shaping. The 1/32" plywood gap seals have been added to the stab as well as the leading edges which still require final shaping. Next step will be the stab tips which will be molded from glass and then a wire joiner/control arm for the elevators. Oh, and I still need to work up the missing trim tab. Onward and upward!

Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,596 Posts
Some building is better than no building! Nice, clean and tidy work!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:48 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
592 Posts
Looks good. Keep it up.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:06 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,496 Posts
Thanks guys, more coming soon.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,496 Posts
I knew updates to this thread would be slow in coming due to several other projects being worked on simultaneous to this one. Since those "other projects" include several more Hellcats, all of them balsa, I figured why not expand this thread to include them as well? As noted in the initial post of this thread the 1/6 scale model is an enlargement of a 1/8 scale Hellcat I designed a couple of years back. The smaller model was offered in kit form and a group build thread is ongoing over at RCU. I am also developing a web site dedicated to the construction of the smaller one for anyone who might like to check it out, www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com. I am currently working on my second prototype of the 1/8 scale model as part of the group build. I am also trying to re-finish a third 1/8 scale model which was built from my kit by a friend of mine for warbird racing but which he subsequently sold to me. So between the three project aircraft and keeping the 1/8 scale prototype maintained and flying I have a total of four Hellcats in the shop at the moment! Good thing you can't have too many Hellcats in my opinion. So, to get this thread current here are the various Hellcats being discussed other than the 1/6 version pictured in the previous posts:

1/8 scale prototype

1/8 scale second prototype. This one will include a few details left off of the first one including flaps and full cockpit detail.

And the 1/8 scale racer which I am converting back to stock and re-finishing into a military paint scheme.