SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
Wow, three minutes per flight, that's all you get with the nano? I am torn between ordering this or the new wltoys one that is coming out soon. If its like their other helis, we're in for a treat. Should be real cheap, too.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,176 Posts
Finally my main motor died after about 60 flights, I'm surprised it lasted this long the way I fly and crash the heck out of it!

But I noticed this new motor has a bit more power! Man I'm thinking I should have broken in my stock motor properly, heck my first flight I was pitch pumping and flying inverted just to see what it was made of, this new motor I've broken in by having 2 batts run through it without a load (no main gear installed yet)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,225 Posts
Just put a new motor in mine as well, we'll see how it works as soon as the battery is done charging.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post

Oh, and do I have to use (or WOULD I have to use) a clockwise or counter-clockwise motor?

Thanks for any help
E2
I posted an answer to this question a while back ago in a different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I believe the Mini's Tail Motor has internal wire Brushes which are bent and assembled at an angle in such a way that they work best only when the Motor is spinning in a particular direction. Although swapping wires to reverse the polarity of the Voltage going into the Motor will make the Motor spin backwards, I think spinning the Motor backwards will cause the wire brushes wear out faster. Perhaps this crude diagram may help explain why:

/O/

Both wire Brushes (both "/") are bent and angled so their tips apply pressure and have electrical contact with the Commutator (the "O"). In the above diagram, if the Commutator is rotated CW, the springiness of the wire Brushes allow them to automatically maintain slight electrical contact pressure as they "slide" along the Commutator; however, if the Commutator is rotated CCW, the Commutator will "push" on the wire Brushes causing them to become hotter, wear faster, and fail prematurely.

As an example, think how a cat or dog's hair behaves depending on which way it is brushed: in one direction stroking downward from the top of their head towards the legs, the hair lays flat, and the stroke is smooth; whereas, in the opposite direction stroking upward from the legs towards the top of the head, the hair wants to stand up and the stroke is rough. With all the wire brushed Motors I've seen, the wire brushes behave the same way, and have a preferred direction of being "stroked" (i.e. rotating around) the Commutator.

Although the below EatAtJoes video is of a different Tail Motor, starting at 1:35 it shows what wire Brushes look like, how they are angled and bent to make spring contact with the Commutator:
E Flite Blade MSR Tail Motor End Cap Repair (9 min 6 sec)

Quote:
I think if a different Motor designed to spin in the opposite direction was used, or a Tail Rotor that has oppositely angled pitch, then it might be a better mod, because it would probably last longer.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,225 Posts
Just ran 3 packs through my nano with a new stock motor, I'm quite impressed! The new motor has more power for sure with the stock battery and I also ran a ThunderPower 160 in it. So far my stock Eflights are more punchy then the TP but this was only the first run on this new pack, hopefully after it breaks in a bit it will be better. Didn't do any Acro with it just hovering and basic forward figure eights. Run time was right at 4 min., plenty of power left after my timer went off at that point
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtheli View Post
I just want a reliable heli to fly around (I'll call it 'scale flying') inside my house. Without doing fancy moves and not running multi batt packs in a row, do you think this would be a reliable and consistent running heli for indoor 'scale' flying?
I disagree with some of the others. The nano is a great indoor heli for your intended purpose. I set the dual rate at 50% and expo to 10% and it is very docile inside.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Oct 12, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Does anyone have any better settings for the DX6i than what is in the manual?
I think everyone does, once they start playing with them.

I was having control difficulties at first, and bumped the expo to 40% (factory recommends 30%). Not better at all!

I have started reducing expo. I went down to 15 and it was OK, went to 0 and it was too much. I went up to 10 then, and will stay there for a bit.

I recommend reducing the expo slowly. Get used to a setting, then bring it down a bit. Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,810 Posts
Want to report that i made a new solid cf boom that is 1 cm longer and tail holds even bettee now it seems
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I cracked my boom but it still holds. It is just very flexible, especially radially.

I do have some 2mm CF rod here, so I will probably adapt that soon. But I also have a spare tail boom with motor.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
I have a mod, it's in the conceptual stage... I made a mock up. It might not be to scale. I think it might be the perfect excuse to buy one even though I don't have much hobby time at the moment. What do you guys think?
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Last edited by sketchaholic; Oct 13, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchaholic View Post
I have a mod, it's in the conceptual stage... I made a mock up. It might not be to scale. I think it might be the perfect excuse to buy one even though I don't have much hobby time at the moment. What do you guys think?
Looks like its nose heavy.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,076 Posts
Hotglued the tailboom where it meets the frame. The Hg did not hold and came loose at mid flight, aaaand the landing gear popped off!!! Suprisingly it had very little inpact in control. The tail was 60 - 80 deg to the left.
Those people not breaking this bird arent trying hard enough
Awesome heli
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchaholic View Post
Looks kind of like a flame thrower. I like it!
MrRcAddict is offline Find More Posts by MrRcAddict
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I posted an answer to this question a while back ago in a different thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkTQAHNl0k
While this makes logical sense and I have opened many tail motors my motors that I have swapped polarity on still seem to last fairly well. Though they do seem more susceptible to hard crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
Hotglued the tailboom where it meets the frame. The Hg did not hold and came loose at mid flight, aaaand the landing gear popped off!!! Suprisingly it had very little inpact in control. The tail was 60 - 80 deg to the left.
Those people not breaking this bird arent trying hard enough
Awesome heli
Did you use hot melt? I have never had a HG joint come off
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Want to report that i made a new solid cf boom that is 1 cm longer and tail holds even bettee now it seems
Did you try a stock length solid boom before adding length?
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed