Old Sep 18, 2014, 05:02 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsparks View Post
Let me edit this for you
If you are into EDFs I don't need to give you any examples

But suffice to say some of the foam ones I fly are much better performing than my composite jets - at a fraction of the total cost. But, hey - its your wallet do as you wish.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2014, 05:20 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,171 Posts
I think the new 32 is kinda disappointing...was hoping they would at least upgrade the Habu size to accept a 90mm fan unit. Just going back to the same 80mm is a bit of a let down...
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
the new habu

Never mind it was a link for the new Habu but I am sure every body knows all about it.
extra300 is offline Find More Posts by extra300
Last edited by extra300; Yesterday at 07:36 PM. Reason: Dah.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:08 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
what ?
itsparks is online now Find More Posts by itsparks
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
how

How does the Habu 2 fly with retracts and flaps being stock on a 3650 mah 4 cell 45c 65 burst?
extra300 is offline Find More Posts by extra300
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
997 Posts
Parkzone's New Habu 2 EDF

Quote:
How does the Habu 2 fly with retracts and flaps being stock on a 3650 mah 4 cell 45c 65 burst?

I run mine with retracts only, mixed flaperons on 5 cell 3760-4000 and 75 A castle esc. It is ok with that setup. Not stellar. I can only imagine it would be very sluggish on 4s with retracts and flaps. The flaperons help enough. It doesn't need flaps. I chose to save weight. Good luck.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,554 Posts
Quote:
It flies well. I don't understand how people say it doesn't perform well on 4S.... It does fly better when kept light. Out of the box, completely stock + retracts you have a good performer, probably mid to upper 80s top speed straight and level and 90-100 out of a dive. Even completely stock the plane can take off, and accelerate in a 30* climb. A prolonged 45* climb is also doable as long as you have a little energy at the start. That is PLENTY of performance for a jet. The Stall characteristics are forgiving and it it remains controllable at very low speeds.

The Habu is not, and without major mods be, a speed demon. But its maneuverability, stability, and performance range make it a perfect intermediate plane.

Note: If you are running stock + retracts and don't have almost 2oz of lead near the tail you've done something wrong and are WAY out of CG range. Do yourself a favor and move the ESC to the ducting to move functional weight back to help with CG.

Anyone saying the habu is sluggish on 4S has some unreal expectations of how any EDF should perform and need to stop comparing EDFs to 3D planes...

Quote:
I run mine with retracts only, mixed flaperons on 5 cell 3760-4000 and 75 A castle esc. It is ok with that setup. Not stellar.
Something must be wrong with your setup, on a 5S 3760 you should have 60*+ sustained climbs and near 100mph straight and level. Check ESC timing, pull the ESC log from the Castle Tools. How many watts/amps? Check batt voltages in the log as well.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
It flies well. I don't understand how people say it doesn't perform well on 4S.... It does fly better when kept light. Out of the box, completely stock + retracts you have a good performer, probably mid to upper 80s top speed straight and level and 90-100 out of a dive. Even completely stock the plane can take off, and accelerate in a 30* climb. A prolonged 45* climb is also doable as long as you have a little energy at the start. That is PLENTY of performance for a jet. The Stall characteristics are forgiving and it it remains controllable at very low speeds.

The Habu is not, and without major mods be, a speed demon. But its maneuverability, stability, and performance range make it a perfect intermediate plane.

Note: If you are running stock + retracts and don't have almost 2oz of lead near the tail you've done something wrong and are WAY out of CG range. Do yourself a favor and move the ESC to the ducting to move functional weight back to help with CG.

Anyone saying the habu is sluggish on 4S has some unreal expectations of how any EDF should perform and need to stop comparing EDFs to 3D planes...

Something must be wrong with your setup, on a 5S 3760 you should have 60*+ sustained climbs and near 100mph straight and level. Check ESC timing, pull the ESC log from the Castle Tools. How many watts/amps? Check batt voltages in the log as well.

-Brian
I agree with you. She flies nice on 4s and on 5s she is even better - much faster.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
I agree with you. She flies nice on 4s and on 5s she is even better - much faster.
So tempted to put in my 100A esc, and find a 5s 3400... Wonder how much difference this thing would be.
itsparks is online now Find More Posts by itsparks
Old Today, 12:58 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
997 Posts
"Something must be wrong with setup, on a 5S 3760 you should have 60*+ sustained climbs and near 100mph straight and level."

Yes I am and that's nice. I don't think it's "unrealistic" to have a jet (Edf or otherwise) to perform and have reserve thrust. I'd much rather have it and be able to "scale" it down and use throttle management to increase flight time than have to fly WOT. With the ESC in the intake it still requires 1 1/2- 2 oz of tailcone wt (don't like doing it but didn't want to do more "surgery" to get Esc way back). Hence forgoing flap servos and mixing flaperons instead. There are way too many "first generation" small to medium EDFs that came underpowered stock. Freewing Stinger 64 on 3 cell is a dog! 4s it is a nice fun jet with good reserve power. Freewing seems to be setting the bar now with their new 90mm Stinger.
No need to be so defensive about your Habu. If you want to fly one that is somewhat marginally powered that's your prerogative. Don't fault people for wanting more power, it's not a crime!
The guy asked and I gave some feedback that may help him make a decision.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7