HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:09 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
The Great Planes Sequence is also about this same size I think. Personally I prefer the look of this plane to the 'dolphin' look of the more modern designs. Besides, it seems almost sacreligious to design a pattern plane to make it capable of doing a rolling harrier and hovering (though I have no doubt Kyle could do it with this plane...)

Will you fly this plane at the school(?) where you fly the other electrics, or will you fly it at the flying field only? I want a good pattern plane for my local field (at the Fairgrounds) and not necessarily one that requires the big flying field.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:40 AM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
I have the Sequence but I would not fly this plane or it at a school.
I'm not sure about the Fairgrounds it would depend on the LZ. These size of planes are (In my opinion) perfect for the ARC's field.

JD
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:04 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
The LZ at the Fairgrounds is decent, but you are correct this plane is better suited for the ARCS or ORCA fields. The Fairgrounds works fine but occasionally we need to give space to people walking their dogs or hitting golf balls. I will likely stick with flying foamies, parkzone planes, and my kids' trainer planes at the Fairgrounds and fly the bigger ones at a club field.

One more question for now. Did you buy these planes locally somewhere, or directly from Airborne Models/TWM? I would prefer to support a local shop; they are in short supply...
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
I got mine from Airborne Models.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Well, I finished my TaiJi 40 today. Weight came out about the same as JD's Mine weighed in at 3lb's 11-3/4 ozs. With a 4s 30c 2650 Blue Lipo as far to the rear as I could get it, The plane balanced at 110mm. I'd have to add weight to the rear to get the 114mm C/G that is specified in the manual.

I'm going to fly it the way it is set up, before I make any adjustments.

With the Scorpion Sll-3020-890Kv motor on a 11x5.5e APC Prop I'm getting 715 W at 45.9A. I'll start with that and if I need to, I'll go with a different prop(s) until I get one that flies the plane that suits my style of flying.

I figure that I'm getting about 572W at the prop, Which amounts to about 142w per lb. That may not be enough for my verticals, But only testing will tell.

Now we just need to get some weather without the wind and rain.Then it's Maiden time.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
JD, I was able to get out to the field today and maidened the TaiJi 40. When I left home the wind was calm and the forecast for today was to be calm winds and partly sunny. Well, they got the partly Sunny right, But the winds were anything but calm.

While I was trying to get the plane set up, the wind was trying to blow it off of the table. I thought that since I'm here and the wind is blowing straight down the runway, I might as well go ahead and fly.

The Super TaiJi handled the wind very well. Not much trimming required, but I'm definitely still nose heavy, So I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and add some weight to the tail. There's nothing I hate worst than having to add dead weight to a airplane.

I got in three flights today, Before the wind just got to strong for me. I had to fly upwind about twice as far as I usually do to do my turn sequence's.

Landings were a piece of cake, The Super TaiJi 40 sets up very nice and while adding a little throttle, does a beautiful 3 point landing.

The week End Weather isn't looking too promising right now, But who knows what it will be like by the time the week end gets here. I hope It clears up so you can get a chance to fly your Super TaiJi 40.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: edited text
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:52 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Looking good I hope for good weather soon.

JD
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
eflynow
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
12 Posts
Hi guys,

I am about to start building a Super Taiji. I plan to use an electric motor that I already own that is close to the spec of the World Models recommeded item and also build my own own motor mount.

Can anyone tell me the distance from the firewall to the front face of the prop driver?

Thanks
Chris
Chris Tindall is offline Find More Posts by Chris Tindall
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:46 PM
USA, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Chris

Here (hopefully) is a picture of a friends Tai Ji with adjustable motor mount
JMoody is offline Find More Posts by JMoody
Last edited by JMoody; Dec 11, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
eflynow
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
12 Posts
Hi JMoody,

Thanks for the idea and the picture. I hadn't thought about an adjustable motor mount. If I can't find out the needed measurement, an adjustable mount may be the next quickest option.

Thanks
Chris
Chris Tindall is offline Find More Posts by Chris Tindall
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Managed to get my hands on one of these a few weeks ago, lovely model and first impressions are very good.

I've had similiar issues as the guys flying them on here, the CG is very hard to achieve without adding weight in the tail, for me personally, not an option. I found the recommended motor provided loads of power, but even with a 2600mAh pack as far back as I could get it, CG was still too nose heavy.

I've made a fairly simply fix, my rudder and elevator servos are now in the tail, an hours work and having flown the model again with these mods with both the 2600mAh and 3300mAh 4s packs, balance was easily achieved.

We've suggested a few simple changes for TWM to make, ideally the servos just need to be mounted on the outside of the fuz at the rear and an elevator joining rod added to the kit, may be they will, may be they wont, either way the model is a superb little f3a machine and all round great flyer, I'll hopefully post some video in the next couple of weeks when I get out flying again, certainly a good buy!
19Graham91 is offline Find More Posts by 19Graham91
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Graham91 View Post
Managed to get my hands on one of these a few weeks ago, lovely model and first impressions are very good.

I've had similiar issues as the guys flying them on here, the CG is very hard to achieve without adding weight in the tail, for me personally, not an option. I found the recommended motor provided loads of power, but even with a 2600mAh pack as far back as I could get it, CG was still too nose heavy.

I've made a fairly simply fix, my rudder and elevator servos are now in the tail, an hours work and having flown the model again with these mods with both the 2600mAh and 3300mAh 4s packs, balance was easily achieved.

We've suggested a few simple changes for TWM to make, ideally the servos just need to be mounted on the outside of the fuz at the rear and an elevator joining rod added to the kit, may be they will, may be they wont, either way the model is a superb little f3a machine and all round great flyer, I'll hopefully post some video in the next couple of weeks when I get out flying again, certainly a good buy!
19Graham91, That's exactly what needs to be done to balance the Super TaiJi 40. I, Of course I had the model built and then discovered that it was very nose heavy, But by moving everything as far aft as possible, I was able to achieve the C/G that I wanted and only had to add 1/2 oz of weight to the tail, But it is still DEAD Weight and I hate adding dead weight to a plane.

Should I build another Super TaiJi 40, You can bet your bottom dollar that the El, and Rud Servo's will be mounted in the rear of the Fuse.

I'm very happy now with the way the plane flies, But I know I would be a lot happier with a plane that didn't need additional weight to achieve C/G.

Hope to see some of your video soon.

J
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:07 AM
Mason, Ohio
Joined Jul 2007
178 Posts
tiaji EP 40 power setup

gggp

Gentlemen, I am new at this size ELECTRIC model. I have flown pattern in the 80's and 90's Nitro. That is why I was attracted to this model.
My question is:

Where Can I purchase the Motor and what size is it physically and electrically?

All other aspects of this build appear straight forward, but sourcing the power system has become a problem with me

Thank you
PS, the gggp in the header of this post is a quick search phrase for me
rhuber40 is offline Find More Posts by rhuber40
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Dec 2010
273 Posts
Tacon motor

The motor can be bought here:

www.hobbypartz.com

Tacon 32 770KV outrunner
carlnoki is offline Find More Posts by carlnoki
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnoki View Post
The motor can be bought here:

www.hobbypartz.com

Tacon 32 770KV outrunner
carlnoki,

The Tacon 32 770KV Outrunner from Hobby Partz is out of stock and has been for months. If anyone orders anything over $50.00 from Hobby Partz, Be sure that you check the FREE shipping option or you WILL be charged shipping charges.

I used a Scorpion Sll-3020 890KV Outrunner in my Super Taiji .40 It costs more then a Big Foot Tacon, But it gets the Job done.

J