Thanks Eddie

What's it called?
70 ragtop is offline Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:32 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,272 Posts
If you want the "poop" on thermal grease it seems the computer guys are "hot" on the topic. A lot of them say "no-name Radio Shack" thermal grease (thermal compound) is just the same as high priced stuff but then again there is the standard, age old arguing that goes on surrounding name brands and generic. A lot of folks seem to recommend "Arctic Silver" grease. I don't know.

Suffice it to say, no mater what brand you use, the key is using a "very thin" layer of grease and only that, to then connect the heat sink. You don't want "thick". The grease does nothing except create a good layer that can account for "minor surface variations" between the heat sink and the the surface of the heat maker. Then there has to be some sort of physical hold in place to keep the heat sink in place. In the case of your motor and the heat sink, I'm thinking "HET" sorta thing where it fits in place? Is that the setup you are using?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:58 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,680 Posts
We stock (and use) only Arctic silver 5 (silver bearing) thermal compound.
It's a couple of bucks less than radio Shack.
When I assemble a Jet fan the motor is positioned radially so that the etched motor # is lined up with one of the stators. (in most cases The motor number will be visible within the split area of the heat sink.
I apply a very thin layer to the inside of the heat sink, and the outer dia of the motor that protrudes from the fan housing. The heat sink is then squeezed to obtain the tightest fit possible. then opened just enough to slide it on with out squeeging the compound off. The heat sink is then rotated one full turn to assure the best even contact. Then the heat sink is turned to the positon lined up with a stator.
The thermal compound is then wiped away from the split in the Heat sink with acetone and a Q-Tip. I then apply 3 "dabs" of epoxy to each side of the split in the heat sink, where it contacts to motor. This provides a rigid fixation of the heat sink, Yet will allow it to "pop" free with tap of a hammer.

I won't get into the assy technique for assy of the rotor to the shaft, but I've never had one come loose, or heard about one that built ever coming loose.

You can just imagine the rpms of that rotor in my 200+mph Habu 32.

If the "Wire Mod"" is ordered. I solder the (10 or 12GA) wires in such a fashon that the come back over the fan, and heat shrink tubing is appield, so as to create a nice clean, one wire wide "Fairing". This technique provides the least amount of turbulence in the efflux area that the wires protrude though.
Usuallly only the KV is visible on the installed motor. sometimes, not. The motor number is written on the sticker, so you always know what motor is installed.

Different fans may require additional or different techniques, But I'm only covering the Jet fan here.
When I assemble and balance fans (any fan) , there's more to it than simply bolting in the motor and clocking the spinner. The Jetfans are quite smooth out of the box, and require no static balance as some others do. Some folks would rather not spend the time
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Aug 31, 2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: added text
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,436 Posts
That's why I order from you Gary. Your attention to detail, love for the hobby, and your high priority of customer service/satisfaction.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
That's why I order from you Gary. Your attention to detail, love for the hobby, and your high priority of customer service/satisfaction.
Tommy,

Thank you sir.

I heard from a customer last night, in Australia of all places, that your were gonna be at the field to day. We were there from 8AM till 4. I guess I missed ya.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:18 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,436 Posts
I was going to go, but by the time I was free it was hot and later than I wanted to fly, so I figured I'd fly on Sunday or Monday since I have work off. I would have loved to fly with you guys though. When do you anticipate going to the basin again?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:28 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,680 Posts
Quote:
I was going to go, but by the time I was free it was hot and later than I wanted to fly, so I figured I'd fly on Sunday or Monday since I have work off. I would have loved to fly with you guys though. When do you anticipate going to the basin again?
8am is usually to early for me for just a flying day. but it was forecast to be 100F today.
I turned my 12s bobcat back into it's stock config, so I could fly it.
We also flew my two Habus, and Chris' Habu.

Next week (Sunday only) is another......"Western States E-fly". We'll be there to have some fun and fly (not as vendors) should be cooler next week.
Hope you can make it.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:30 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,447 Posts
FYI, Most LHS have the E-flight small tube of thermal paste for a couple bucks..
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:23 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
If you want the "poop" on thermal grease it seems the computer guys are "hot" on the topic. A lot of them say "no-name Radio Shack" thermal grease (thermal compound) is just the same as high priced stuff but then again there is the standard, age old arguing that goes on surrounding name brands and generic.
Reminds me of a test I read when many years ago someone claimed artic silver was the bees knees... http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

You want a good laugh read through to the final 2 tests!

I will stick with regular silicon based thermal paste, the gaps I deal with are almost interference in my Extreme Alloy housings anyway, as I designed them around HET motors primarily.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:46 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
52 Posts
Thanks guys
Ordered it all thru Gary

Now I just need to build a plane to try these bad boys out !
70 ragtop is offline Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
8am is usually to early for me for just a flying day. but it was forecast to be 100F today.
I turned my 12s bobcat back into it's stock config, so I could fly it.
We also flew my two Habus, and Chris' Habu.

Next week (Sunday only) is another......"Western States E-fly". We'll be there to have some fun and fly (not as vendors) should be cooler next week.
Hope you can make it.
That sounds awesome. I'd love to fly then.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:47 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,666 Posts
Quote:
+1 on that Gary is top notch and thank him for helping me get my Yak130 Jetfan setup and questions answered quickly.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin