SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Not sure about the slider. I will be heading to his house in a little bit to take pics and ask questions, but then I am going flying for a couple hours.

Standby and I will get the pics uploaded.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Here's the X-tail made with stock Trex 450 and 600 parts. This isn't my Apache, but I will likely try and do the same on mine. It works well.

I will try to answer questions about the tail assembly if I can.

-Patrick
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
That's pretty creative there. I like it! How smooth is it?

I finally got my x blade working and holding very good. It's not as fast as the stock align setup, but holds strong without drag or wag.
Now I have this wobble issue to work out. I think it might be a bad servo? I'll have to go back to the old tail again and see if it is still there.
It's the wobble were your landing skids are shaking......

I'm going to make a video and post it to see what you guys think. I had an old outrage 450 do this to me a while back. Never could work it out. I sold that heli and never left align after that.....

My blades are in the states now so it is matter of days, then the head goes on. I hope it doesn't touch the tail blades. Then I will add the outcome for you guys.

For the tail setup I had to grind some off the slider on the shaft.

buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
It's the wobble were your landing skids are shaking......
That sounds like a harmonic/resonance vibration. Usually those only occur at a very narrow range of headspeed. If you increase or decrease the headspeed, do the skids stop shaking?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
That sounds like a harmonic/resonance vibration. Usually those only occur at a very narrow range of headspeed. If you increase or decrease the headspeed, do the skids stop shaking?
If I increase it gets worse, but if I decrease it gets better. it is not constant. unpredictable to when it shakes.
I believe I found the issue..... Can a wobbly tail cause this? This x-blade tail unit has a little slack between the unit and the tail shaft when assembling. I ripped my entire head off and there was a nasty vibration still on spoole up the worst. My main shaft is not bent at all. The tail unit wobbles very slightly, but my tail shaft is not bent at all either. It defiantly is this tail unit. Put on my old unit and no vibration at all.
I am tweaking it as much as I can to get this wobble out, but no cigar. going to see if I can make a sleeve to go inside this unit or over the tail shaft to stiffen it up. It has 2 set screws on it to attach to the tail shaft. I am tweaking to see if I tighten one before the other to get out this wobble.

Any ideas on how to make a sleeve?

thanks
Buddy
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Rotor head installed.........

this thing is a beast and heavy heavy heavy. too heavy if you ask me.
Last edited by buddertoast; Aug 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Hey!!!! I just thought of something!!

How in the heck am i suppose to check my pitch on this rotor head?!?!?!?!?!?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
Hey!!!! I just thought of something!!

How in the heck am i suppose to check my pitch on this rotor head?!?!?!?!?!?
Does the top part comes off? if it does then you can use the flybarless tool with a flybar rod and set your transmitter to 50/50 at mid stick and check one blade at a time, then adjust the rods for that blade until is level, do same for the rest...

After that's done, then you can set the pitch curve...
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
No. It's all one piece. Lol. What a ridiculous setup.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
:Never mind.......... Stupid moment! Was up too late with this last night working on this and my brain wasn't working right! haha. woke this morning and looked at it for a min then smacked myself in the forehead. I can use the set screw on the top that holds that little bar down to mount the flybarless pitch gauge tool.

sorry fella's.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
I'm checking into power setup. looking at a scorpion hkIII-4025-550 v3 motor and a matched scorpion 90 or 130 ahvesc. whichever one is available.

Any inputs on this power tran? I know I would need a motor of around 550kv to lift this estimated 17lbs heli. and im looking at either 10 or 12 cell setup dual packs. maybe 10 cell to lower weight.

thanks
Buddy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
I'm checking into power setup. looking at a scorpion hkIII-4025-550 v3 motor and a matched scorpion 90 or 130 ahvesc. whichever one is available.

Any inputs on this power tran? I know I would need a motor of around 550kv to lift this estimated 17lbs heli. and im looking at either 10 or 12 cell setup dual packs. maybe 10 cell to lower weight.

thanks
Buddy
It seems to fast of a motor? I'm using a Hyperion HS4035-500kv and ICE2HV80 with a 12S setup and 4000mah lipos x2 to lift a 14 pounds MD500 Tow Defender, and work fantastic more power than I need. I used to have a HS4035-560kv motor, which I still have, but with that motor I could not get the Head speed low enough into the 1400's.. Because I was needing around 1400 head speed the motor kept getting hot and the ESC was ridiculous hot... I mean 2 1/2 minutes hover and the ESC was into the 150F....

You might want to check into that setup as it may prove to be a bit higher than needed. I learned the hard way, when I lost my EC145 over a broken pinion in flight.

Come to find out that the lower kv motors work much better as what you need is torque more than speed. Specially if you are looking into 10 or 12S the lower the kv the better....

Now I can fly mine with the HS4035-500kv 14T pinion, 170T main gear .7 modulus and two 4000mah 6S lipos Turningy or Pulse... I have both... for around 14 minutes, however, my brain can't take that long of flight so I fly mines for 7 to 8 minutes and I only put back around 1000 to 1400 mah
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Rotor head installed.........

this thing is a beast and heavy heavy heavy. too heavy if you ask me.
What a nice looking head this is heavy but very NICE.

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Thank you Jan...... I think it looks great as well, we will have to how well it performs.
So 550kv would be too much josereyes?
It seems the lower the kv the more expensive as well!!! haha.
I will check out 500kv motors. I really like this scorpions esc. Will def be getting one.
thanks for all the help, always appreciated. I'm not a beginner, but have no idea about scale..
Thanks
Buddy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi,

I use the 800 size 600KV motor from Smartmodels with a 15 pinion main 170
headspeed somewhere 1250 1300 rpm with CC HV80 and 8 cells 5000mA battery's its good for 8 minutes with 3000mA put back in the battery's

So the KV depends also on how much cells you intend to use.
You must know my Apache are 6.5 kg. and doing well.

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman