SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:26 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
595 Posts
looks good Glenn.

After a few tightning/loosning of those little screws on the top deck I was rounding them out a little so replaced with some local 2 x 8mm stainless ones which have a 2mm allen key drive. Bit easier to work with but easily sheered of too I'm guessing.
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:38 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
I just picked up my Scarab frame from the local FedEx store, time to start building!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:23 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,236 Posts
I had originally just soldered the mini Deans straight onto the ESC wires as supplied, but soon realised that if I continued along this path I would be left with a truckload of wire to try & hide.

That and being a neat-freak (on my models - the house is a mess), decided to go back and shorten the leads.

Also attached the landing gear to the lower deck so it gets up the quad higher off the ground and allows more room for the camera to have an unobstructed view.

And the Paris board has been mounted on the lower mezzanine - a position a few of us consider to offer the most protection from my limited skilled thumbs.
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug View Post
I had originally just soldered the mini Deans straight onto the ESC wires as supplied, but soon realised that if I continued along this path I would be left with a truckload of wire to try & hide.

That and being a neat-freak (on my models - the house is a mess), decided to go back and shorten the leads.

Also attached the landing gear to the lower deck so it gets up the quad higher off the ground and allows more room for the camera to have an unobstructed view.

And the Paris board has been mounted on the lower mezzanine - a position a few of us consider to offer the most protection from my limited skilled thumbs.
Nice work - it's coming right along! Sine you are a neat builder, I think you might like how I plan to do my wiring (super neat and clean)! You'll see soon!

My scarab is coming along too. I really like the motor mounts that slide into the booms, they fit very snug, are rigid and light weight. I too will mount my Paris board underneath the booms on the lower level (at least that's the plan for now).

Cheers,
CJ
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:25 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,236 Posts
Tonight I completed the mid deck ESC wiring & installation
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug View Post
Tonight I completed the mid deck ESC wiring & installation
Wait a minute is this my build thread or yours!? (just kidding)

Nice work - very well done!
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:53 PM
can't wait to retire..
Joined Feb 2006
595 Posts
Very neat Glenn. Will do a bit of a rebuild on mine one day with smaller esc's.
Few more packs through it on Sunday. Got well a truely lost orientation wise but just hit auto hover and was able to resume normal heart rate and get it home

Put some more orange bling on it and changed it to the front as when you normally fly just planes the oriention on the back sometimes appears back the front to me, particularly when using the rudder (if I hit left I want to see my reference point move left)

Couple more bits hooked up. I really like the DX8 live tellemitry and custom alarm ability. No gliding this one in on a flat battery.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Wow you guys are doing great with your Scarab builds! Hobidude, yours is looking like a lot of fun with all that good stuff on there!

I have finished my Scarab YIPPEE! Here's a simple slide show of it from start to finish.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/986575...59829197/show/

Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
PSST... I've updated the first page with my build info and tips. Let me know if you guys find anything wrong, or critically missing. If you have something neat to add, please feel free to post! We are all here to share our ideas. I like to see how other people build their Scarabs too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...11&postcount=2

Cheers,
CJ
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:09 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Do you have the G10 or the carbon version? 900 grams AUW is pretty good if it is the G10 version. I have not started on mine yet because I am not quite ready to extend the wires on my motors.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:12 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Do you have the G10 or the carbon version? 900 grams AUW is pretty good if it is the G10 version. I have not started on mine yet because I am not quite ready to extend the wires on my motors.
It's the G10 version, the only parts that are carbon are the landing gear.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:18 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Here you can see my build log.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450352

quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
It sure is pretty... Any luck with it flying?

I just finished a new and improved gimbal for my GoPro. I must say that I'm extremely happy with the way the gimbal turned out! I will post pics soon.

Happy building!
CJ
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:47 AM
can't wait to retire..
Joined Feb 2006
595 Posts
show me the gimbal!

my Scarab is now on a diet and I need to change the GoPro mount so footage does not incude landing gear....
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:56 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
I would also like to see the gimbal. I have it like this. And I'm using sunex lens, so there is no problem with booms or legs in the shot. But I need remove some weight from the mount. It is so heavy.

quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Last edited by quadslo; Jun 07, 2011 at 04:10 AM.