SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 25, 2009, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
9 Posts
Discussion
What Micro helis have replacement parts available?

I'm a bit undecided. I'm looking for a fairly cheap micro heli, but that has replacement parts available for it when I inevitably break something. That's an absolute must. In a "perfect" world, this micro heli would also recharge via an AC outlet instead of via the batteries in the remote control transmitter. But you can't always get what you want, either. I realize that a lot of the micros recharge via batteries in the remote since they don't require a lot of power, and I may end up having to just get rechargeable batteries for the remote if that's the case.

The bottom line is I do not plan on going "pro" with this hobby. But I want to be able to have one that will fly for a long time by being able to change out the motors, batteries, replacement parts if I crash, etc. I'm new here, but I've read a lot about various helis on this forum, have done a lot of online research, read reviews, compared prices, etc. I have no intent to go beyond a 3 channel heli and will not "get tired of it" after flying it a little while. I just want something to fly around the house and have fun with, and that also will theoretically fly a little outside on a very calm day with no wind.

I don't want to spend a fortune on the heli itself...about $60 bucks is the highest I'd want to go. I know that's cheap in the world of helis and doesn't buy much, but all I'm looking for is a 3 channel that is stable, flies decently and will let me change out the motors and parts rather than have to keep buying a new one when it wears out. Having read a lot of the threads on this forum...the first thing people seem to love to reply with is, "You should get a Lama (insert model here), Esky (insert model here), etc. that are usually $100 or more. That's not what I'm looking for, however...

I've looked at the Picco z, Micro Mosquito, Fairy and other 3 channel helis like this one http://www.xheli.com/newtfualal3c.html that have replacement parts and are sort of a softer, yet metallic material stronger than plastic. The Micro Mosquito doesn't seem to be ready to fly out of the box...a lot of reviews said it had stability issues and that you had to fiddle with it a lot to make it stable. Many said the Fairy is more stable than the Picco z, but I'm not sure if there are any parts available for any of the Fairy helis. The larger heli (http://www.xheli.com/newtfualal3c.html) is clearly not a micro...it looks more like a "mini" to me). Yet on a lot of websites, it's listed with the micro helis and it seems to have every replacement part available. It's also listed as an "inside" heli...but the specs look like that of a mini. Isn't that dangerous in the house? That kind of makes me iffy...especially if i'm flying it in my bedroom or something.

Thanks
newbieflyer10 is offline Find More Posts by newbieflyer10
Last edited by newbieflyer10; Dec 25, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Goodyear, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
376 Posts
These are all Toys and only way to get parts for them is buy a new one. You get what you pay for. Enjoy... Sense they are toys they all fly the same, like toys.
Kelley is offline Find More Posts by Kelley
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
These are all Toys and only way to get parts for them is buy a new one. You get what you pay for. Enjoy... Sense they are toys they all fly the same, like toys.
Hmm...technically, isn't that what all rc helicopters are? Just electronics and metal or plastic put together to all accomplish something. Some of the above mentioned do in fact have parts available, though....particularly the one I linked to. Some have been reported to fly better than others, be more stable, etc.
newbieflyer10 is offline Find More Posts by newbieflyer10
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:12 PM
Goodyear, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
376 Posts
How many hobby shops will you see carrying these? Other than Toy stores and the cart in the mall. Hobby grade heli's have separate electronics, are kits and cost more than $60 dollars. If you want a good Coax heli get a mCX.

Also you might get a better answers by moving your question over to the coax section.
Kelley is offline Find More Posts by Kelley
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:18 PM
I luv Doritos on a Stick!
Da swamps of La!!!
Joined Nov 2009
121 Posts
Newbie, if you want a reasonable flying heli for cheap good luck. I tried the airhogs, a Revell Whitewolf from Target, looked at the toys at the mall kiosk, they are all trash IMHO.
I just didn't want to waste time and funds so I bought a hobby-grade heli.
Any forward flight with meaning will not happen from your toys, and I really don't think outside will happen either.

Go to TowerHobbies and look at their cheap heli's, most of them have some kind of replacement parts.

My honest opinion is that you against your better judgement will get tired of the junk and want a good heli.
I have been wrong B4, so no big deal.
cajun rx8 is offline Find More Posts by cajun rx8
Closed Thread