Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:45 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
more data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Phil:
Here is a good thread from the Sailplane Talk Forum in August about visibility and colors that might help you.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=visibilty
Gary
all data is welcome. thank you for the link and your good intention, but i think there is more interesting data here in this forum, especially this brought by celloguy: http://www.jcrc.com/News/Articles/Ar...olorTheory.htm
i myself contributed here with my own experience, but we are now talking about stroboscopic light.
thanks again.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
As strobes get smaller, lighter, cheaper, and brighter; it's rather silly not to install one.

Sign me up to the "snowball club" as well.

NOTE: I tried what I thought was a brilliant idea some years ago. I covered the sheeted leading edges of my Sagitta in chrome Monokote. My intention was to take advantage of the sun flashing on the chrome to help with long distance visibility and it worked to an extent. 30 years later; I still get a thrill when it flashes in the sun. But...

There's a downside to chrome. It also reflects whatever color is closest to it and that can mean it turns green on final approach and blends into the trees off in the distance. This effect was most spectacularly demonstrated when it disappeared just before I tried to catch it and it drilled me right between the eyes. Since that incident I have...

a. Gone with contrasting dark and bright colors, black and fluorescent yellow are quite good, on my leading edges.

b. Stopped trying to catch gliders even if they don't have a nice, hard, metal spinner and sharp prop in the nose.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:39 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
reflector

if the strob placed at the left side of the fuse sometimes can be seen even if the plane is going left to right, what if we add some sort of reflector?
i glued a piece of aluminum foil to the underside of the left wing, next to the fuse, about 4 inches wide, just above the strob.
the easiest/lightest thing that came to mind.
will tell.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Thanks for your report Phil. I need to give this a try.

Here is what I would consider a meaningful test. It's a dull day and your Radian is way up there. One of your flying buddies is hanging around but not looking at your plane. Switch on the strobe and ask him if he can find it...
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thanks for your report Phil. I need to give this a try.

Here is what I would consider a meaningful test. It's a dull day and your Radian is way up there. One of your flying buddies is hanging around but not looking at your plane. Switch on the strobe and ask him if he can find it...
good idea. will try as soon as there is some1 around.
problem is, i fly at dawn and nobody is as enthusiast (they call it 'crazy') as me.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
problem is, i fly at dawn and nobody is as enthusiast (they call it 'crazy') as me.
Just call it a "passion for the hobby" and feel sorry for them that they don't know joy it can bring.
Bob_B is online now Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
Somehow my brake got turned off and I can't turn it back on. I read manual, went through the beeps and got confirmation beeps when I set medium brake but brake is still off. Same with other brakes. Tried changing other settings like startup rate but no luck. Anyone been there?

Zep
LedZepplin is online now Find More Posts by LedZepplin
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Joined Jun 2013
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZepplin View Post
Somehow my brake got turned off and I can't turn it back on. I read manual, went through the beeps and got confirmation beeps when I set medium brake but brake is still off. Same with other brakes. Tried changing other settings like startup rate but no luck. Anyone been there?

Zep

Its a long time since I used the stock ESC but I do recall that medium brake is NFG. I will still "wind mill" if you have sufficient air speed at shut down. Even at apogee with low air speed it may stop but will begin to wind-mill later when the air speed increases. I've found that some other other ESC's do this too.

Try the full brake. If still unsuccessful you may not be programming it properly and your change is not being saved. It is a helluva chore to do it via the TX and counting the beeps. Thus I have reverter to ESC's that use a programming card like the Turnigy Plush line or Turnigy Super Brain line. You get other benefits too; such easily changing the timing to see if you can get more omph ( that's the technical term ) out of your motor/prop combo.

Alan
Thoren is offline Find More Posts by Thoren
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Agreed, the medium brake is ineffective. The only one that works on the stock ESC is the hard brake. After you have done it a couple of times, programming it with the TX is easy.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
I tried full brake setting and the prop still spins freely. Not sure how to save the setting, just unplugged battery. The E-Flite ESC has 7 program menus including timing but I can't seem to set any of them. My brake worked out of the box and only noticed the windmilling prop last flight. Thinking about it now it seems unlikely I turned brake off by chance.

Zep
LedZepplin is online now Find More Posts by LedZepplin
Old Today, 06:14 AM
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Apr 2013
129 Posts
Call Horizon Hobby, their customer service is the best.
Ralphtsp is offline Find More Posts by Ralphtsp