HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:01 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
Discussion
Lord Nelson Victory Tug Build

This will be my first boat build! I've been following a few build threads and got interested primarily for the wood working aspect of the project. I picked the Victory Tug for its pudgy character and it seems like the LNVT will look great on display. Another reason for a boat project is my interest in building an Ivan Martin Mars or Solent. Following the build threads for those flying boats I see a lot of parallels in build techniques with building boats. I do enjoy a good project especially when it challenges me and helps add to my building experience. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as the build progresses.

I've read in a few other threads that the instructions were hard to follow. This made me a little apprehensive at the start of the build. However, I was lucky enough to have a very busy work schedule that kept me away from home for a few weeks. I brought the instructions with me to read over. On the first pass, there were definitely sections that I had a hard time wrapping my head around. However, as I re-read the instructions, I found some funny and witty sections and the confusing parts were actually pretty easy to figure out once I had the build in front of me. It really did help a lot to read the instructions ahead of time and go through the emotions of "what the.....?!?!?" to "oh, I get it now!". I'm sure I'll have more "what the.....?!?!" moments.

I'm currently done planking the hull except for the rear. Planking has been fun especially when the plank goes down without snapping! I do have a few uneven spots that I'll need to fill in. I noticed some people use bondo. Would wood filler work also? Is it preferable to use bondo?

I'll follow up with pictures as I progress. I wanted to say thanks ahead of time for my questions as I progress, I'm sure more than a few will be dumb or simplistic (my first boat build after all).

Lance
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:18 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Awesome! I have been looking at building one of these. Looking good so far!

Bondo is the preferred method. it's more durable and once it's painted with enamel it's water proof.
MoonBlink is offline Find More Posts by MoonBlink
Last edited by MoonBlink; Jul 07, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:21 PM
life is a beach
thessaloniki-greece
Joined Sep 2008
516 Posts
great work so far pootman.
i believe that this is one of the most beautiful tug boats...
keep up the good work..

Bill...
fvasileios is offline Find More Posts by fvasileios
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:55 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,337 Posts
Lookin' good .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:17 PM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,110 Posts
Nice work . . .
STONECRAB is online now Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:13 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Great job on the planking. The LNVT is the first boat I built.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:31 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
"First build" and he's almost done. Some kind of beginner you are (1st boat, I know). When you get finished, maybe you'll have some questions you didn't get addressed.
Seriously, fine work.

Are you not considering fiberglassing the hull?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:37 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,949 Posts
Great subject !

We love to see planks goin over frames around here .......

Do you plan to detail the interior ?

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:03 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
Thanks all the for encouragement.

Ed - I've read through your build thread and if my LNVT comes out half as nice as yours I'll be super happy. Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain as I build my boat.

Harquebus - Yep, first boat build. But I've been building planes most of my life now. I'm planning on fiberglassing the hull. However, with all my plane projects fiberglassing was always a chore and never came out very nice. I just ordered some fiberglass from Nick Ziroli that's suppose to lay down nicely around curves. Got that tip from a AMA YouTube video on fiberglassing. We'll see how it turns out.

Tim - I would like to detail the model as much as I can. I've never added much scale detail on my planes so I'm gonna follow the build instructions as the base to start. Then I'll try to add more afterwards. Scale details and fiberglassing will be a couple of major hurdles for me.

Lance
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:22 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
This is the fiberglassing video.

Fiberglassing Tutorial (17 min 20 sec)
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:43 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
your doing great....ive always wanted to build this kit.
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:55 AM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,110 Posts
I've had very good results on my first two boats following the tips on the AMA tutorial.
STONECRAB is online now Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Jun 2004
50 Posts
bondo

I prefer to you use regular spackle or famowood wood filler bondo is so much harder than the balsa or baswood planking that you usually get a lot of high spots where the bondo is if you are going to glass the hull spackle makes it much easier to blend everything
GFONG is offline Find More Posts by GFONG
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:27 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
Thanks GFONG. I was leaning toward wood filler instead of bondo. I knew bondo was stronger but since I'm fiberglassing anyways it doesn't seem needed.

Haven't done a whole lot to the boat. Planked the bottom rear and got started on the top rear planking. Unfortunately I have to head out of town for a week for work. Hopefully the fiberglass I ordered will be in next week.

Lance
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:50 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman View Post
Tim - I would like to detail the model as much as I can. I've never added much scale detail on my planes so I'm gonna follow the build instructions as the base to start. Then I'll try to add more afterwards. Scale details and fiberglassing will be a couple of major hurdles for me.

Lance
If you can do THIS then you can o Very well on a boat model ~
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.