SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
This plane is just about at the covering stage, but I just got a more interesting idea...I'll put this airframe instorage for a while.

Now, I have a new idea for a simple flying wing, all faceted surfaces, 60 degree triangle planform, using a central "drag fin", not a drag rudder, 3 servos, and a gyro is a must...No vertical surfaces, with a puller prop. Plans to follow!
Barry Leger is offline Find More Posts by Barry Leger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:57 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
I have seen drag fins on the wingtips, but can't figure out how a central drag fin would work, could you explain this idea?
Are you by chance talking about a "split rudder"?
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:18 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure if this will even work. But, the idea is to have three horizontal control surfaces along the straight trailing edge. The two outer surfaces are normal elevons. While the centre surface would be only be deflected to produce drag and connected to the rudder gyro. If the plane yaws left or right, the centre surface pitches up or down (doesn't matter which), creating drag to counter the unwanted yaw.

The unintentional effect of this is that it would also cause up or down pitching motion. But, this should be kept in check with the two outer elevons which would also be plugged into the gyro.

So in flight, unintentional yaw would cause all three surfaces to deflect (with the centre one always going in the opposite direction to the outer two), creating drag along the entire length of the trailing edge, stabilizing the plane like a shuttlecock. If there is no yawing motion, then the centre surface doesn't move at all.

Assuming this all worked, the centre surface would be a "drag fin", not controlled by the pilot to steer (so it's not a rudder), it is solely controlled by the gyro to keep the plane from yawing.

It could also be done with a clam-shell type drag rudder, but I think it would be neater, if it could be done with only three simple surfaces,without the complicated linkage.

Alternatively, the drag fin could also be controlled like a flap, and you could dial in more drag as needed.
Barry Leger is offline Find More Posts by Barry Leger
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:50 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Interesting idea, sounds a bit like how the drag chute on a B-47 was used to correct during cross wind landings.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!