HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Discussion
Going to try Set RPM on my Trex 700 again

I didn't have much luck getting it to work good before but I am going to give it another try. Is this setup still the preferred setup for the Trex 700 using the newest 4.02 firmware?
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...0mx-530kv.html
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
I am not speaking for CC but I think that they now recommend a PWM of 12 and High start power.

Governor gain seams to vary from motor to motor so you may want to tune it a little after you get flying. Some are able to run a little higher gain than 12.

I have found that V4.01 and V4.02 governors are definitely better than the older versions.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Ok what should I change the start power to? I think I left it low last time I tried 4.01 and that may have been the cause of some of the issues I had.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:22 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
I've always had good results with Set RPM mode on micro size helis since the feature was introduced in 2009. I'm running V3.28 now and it as good as ever. Since I crashed the heli with an old version of governor software (about V1.3 or something) I don't want to try beta release firmware anymore.

In the interests of stability and safety I think its important not to go too aggressive on the gain setting. Lower gain is safer. Better to be safe than sorry with a 700 size heli.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:17 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
Ok what should I change the start power to? I think I left it low last time I tried 4.01 and that may have been the cause of some of the issues I had.
Start Power controls the motor power used during the first couple of seconds to get the blades turning. Set it at 100 and forget it for most helicopters. If it if trying to turn the helicopter around at first then decrease 10 at a time until smooth.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:51 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
I would Leave the start power at default and adjust up if it is needed. My 700 is default on start power...

If the 700 is stock use 12 kHz PWM and Normal timing.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:23 AM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
I would Leave the start power at default and adjust up if it is needed. My 700 is default on start power...

If the 700 is stock use 12 kHz PWM and Normal timing.
Ok I will give that a try.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:58 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Increasing start power usually make a good start up bad. This is not a setting you want to change from its default unless you have a good reason to do so, usually related to a motor so bad it won't start anyway else.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Ok I put the start power back to default and will hopefully get to try out the GOV mode tomorrow or Monday.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:42 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Ok I put the start power back to default and will hopefully get to try out the GOV mode tomorrow or Monday.
I would start the GOV gain around 12....
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:55 AM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Yep I have the GOV gain set to 12 to start. I will post a log after I fly it today after work.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:38 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Ok I took the heli out today after work. It looks like 2200rpm is a bit to high so I will knock it down to 2050 and see how it does. I think the gain is to low, I dont know if it is a good way to tell but when I switched at the end of the flight from 2200rpm to 1950 to land the RPM dipped way down and had to come back up to 1950.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,698 Posts
Your head rpm is too high.

Look at the PowerOutput parameter. It is near 100% at the start of the flight, and is at 100% after 100s until you switch back to the lower rpm.

That means you are flying at near 100% throttle for the entire flight.

What did the Parameter window say when you chose that set rpm? If it didn't complain big time, then I think you don't have the pole count, gearing, or Kv input correctly into the Castle Link software.

added. Looking at your current parameters, and I see it is in the 30-40A range during most of the flight, only occasionally peaking into 80A range.

I'd say your gearing (or Kv) is a bit on the low side.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Alan I am using the standard Trex 700e motor and gearing. Like I said in the post above I know i need to lower the RPM for the gov to work properly. When I put 2200rpm into the program it did warn me but I wanted to try it anyway and make sure.

Do you think when switching to 1950 and having the head speed drop way off before it picks back up is a indicator that the gain is to low?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Alan I am using the standard Trex 700e motor and gearing. Like I said in the post above I know i need to lower the RPM for the gov to work properly. When I put 2200rpm into the program it did warn me but I wanted to try it anyway and make sure.

Do you think when switching to 1950 and having the head speed drop way off before it picks back up is a indicator that the gain is to low?
I'm not an expert on the drop-off issue---I just tend to fly at one headspeed for the entire flight, including takeoff and landing.

I have heard of other's problems with the drop-off. I am not positive what exactly causes it, except that when you flip to a lower rpm, the rotor rpm can tend to decouple from the motor rpm--due to the one-way bearing. So the ESC sees that the motor load drops dramatically and lowers the current way down in an attempt to keep the new low motor rpm--with the motor seeing almost no load. At some point the main rotor slows down enough to have the oneway engage, but now the motor current is really low, so the governor has a long way to go to get it up to sustain the head rpm.

Not sure if that is a real explanation of the problem or not. Sounds good to me !

I am not sure if goosing up the gain will help this or not, and whether the higher gain may cause other problems.

But like I said, it is easy enough to land at any headspeed, as long as you can lower the pitch appropriately. So I don't experience the problem in the way I fly.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn