HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 08:46 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapncheerful View Post
Lateral balance can be done on your table, simple as that. Mine was always a little bit out, but I never was too bothered about 3 or 4 grammes. 7 or 8 grammes might have an effect as it's approaching 1/2 an ounce. If you do need to add weight, the further away from the centre of the plane it gets the better. So get a washer or two, or a couple of coins and place them near the lighter wing tip. Then you could use a sharp knife to carefully cut a slit in the right spot in the underside and push a coin in there. Tape it over, or glue it in, and you're done. Just don't forget that coin if your ever short of cash one day!
Whats the best way to check balance laterally?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:10 AM
Mark
United Kingdom, England, Moreton-in-Marsh
Joined Oct 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Whats the best way to check balance laterally?
Don't know about the best but sit it on a flat surface and the heavier side will wing down. Sticking a few drawing board pins in the center front & back and balancing on your fingers or a block will show what side is unbalanced, more accurately & then you can balance appropriately.
mlp666 is online now Find More Posts by mlp666
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:29 AM
Joined Sep 2013
168 Posts
Cut wing tips

Well i cut 140mm off each wing and wow,its alive.
It flies so much beta.I can roll it now and invertd.
Luv it.
Diggiz is offline Find More Posts by Diggiz
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggiz View Post
So Im over the Bixler just flying around and cant afford a more acrobatic plane and watched and seen a few vids with the bix with the wing tips cut off.
So I was wondering for those of you who have tried this, How much did you cut off and what shape do you mould the wing tip to?

Thanks Gav
You can also try straightening the foam by softening with heat (blow dryer) and using weights (a heavy book) to flatten it out. That way you will keep the nice glide ratio of the wing and allow it to be more acrobatic at the cost of stability.
Willyspu is offline Find More Posts by Willyspu
Old Oct 18, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2013
168 Posts
Even with the tips cut off it still glides pretty good. So overall a good choice I think cutting the tips and making it bit more of a lively bird.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:19 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom View Post
@ Geoff
Is it right that the Vector can use waypoints if sourced in the US and have disabled that for export an/or can that be changed with a fw upgrade, also can you use an asi with it?
I have several Vectors in fixed wing aircraft and my son uses the Vector on a small 250 quad. It is a nice controller.

The way points are GPS locations that you input to the Vector, they are only references that you can manually fly to, the Vector most likely will never be an automous flight controller as it was not designed for autonomous flight like the APM's from 3DR.
Willyspu is offline Find More Posts by Willyspu
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:02 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,380 Posts
After many years and versions of pusher type foamies, I finally flew a Bixler-2 (my own Bixler).

Very nice. She will do a lot of aerobatics, Loops easily either way up. Likes doing slow rolls. By comparison the rudder is a bit weak in rudder turns and stall-turns, but the ailerons are strong and very nice to have.

I lost my Easystar in a mid-air and the $60 to get a Bixler was a good way for me to recover.

I know I am late to this party, but this was such a good airplane to fly I felt the need to post a note.

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:09 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyspu View Post
I have several Vectors in fixed wing aircraft and my son uses the Vector on a small 250 quad. It is a nice controller.

The way points are GPS locations that you input to the Vector, they are only references that you can manually fly to, the Vector most likely will never be an automous flight controller as it was not designed for autonomous flight like the APM's from 3DR.
Thanks for the info.

I run an Arkbird on an fx61 and with it you can input 4 waypoints which the ap will fly to autonomously - set using the tx and osd plus also a simple geofence, so that was my thinking rather than the apm mission planner type of interaction.
jhkiom is online now Find More Posts by jhkiom
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:03 PM
Crasher Extraordinaire
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
After many years and versions of pusher type foamies, I finally flew a Bixler-2 (my own Bixler).

Very nice. She will do a lot of aerobatics, Loops easily either way up. Likes doing slow rolls. By comparison the rudder is a bit weak in rudder turns and stall-turns, but the ailerons are strong and very nice to have.

I lost my Easystar in a mid-air and the $60 to get a Bixler was a good way for me to recover.

I know I am late to this party, but this was such a good airplane to fly I felt the need to post a note.

Eric.
Good to hear someone with some RC flying experience praising the Bix. I used mine to learn with and it's quite forgiving in that respect. Ironically, I haven't learned to do rolls, or any real stunts for that matter. But that's not part of why I want to fly. Though I shall learn it as it'll help me to progress. Gliding is my main aim and I am now putting together a Phoenix 2000 from Hobbyking. It's so well priced that it's almost rude not to buy one! No spares available though.
cheapncheerful is offline Find More Posts by cheapncheerful
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2006
758 Posts
Bixler modified

Agree 100% that the Bixler is a very capable machine for many purposes.
Here is a short video of my modified Bixler 2 (with wingtips flattened and nose mounted motor) doing aerobatics at the beach.....Very enjoyable flying machine.
Cheers...D

Bixler 2 "Motor Nose Mount" (2 min 8 sec)
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:44 PM
"long stretch of water..."
Australia, NSW, Stuarts Point
Joined Jun 2014
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus Dave View Post
Agree 100% that the Bixler is a very capable machine for many purposes.
Here is a short video of my modified Bixler 2 (with wingtips flattened and nose mounted motor) doing aerobatics at the beach.....Very enjoyable flying machine.
Cheers...D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IO8BLmqQTQ
I'm glad you reposted that Dave. I had lost the link. Great video. 😊
Pat
coongoola is offline Find More Posts by coongoola
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:23 AM
Joined Sep 2013
168 Posts
I like the frnt mountd motor.What motor and mount did u use Nimbus?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:12 AM
Joined Jan 2006
758 Posts
I used this motor with a folding prop:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=2210C

Motor mount: I fabricated myself using thin plywood and laminated to about 3-4mm thickness.

RTF weight with 3S 1500 battery: 725 grams.
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:48 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,101 Posts
Another 'personal best' for my Bixler2 FPV/UAV
First 41/2 minutes are kind of dark so skip ahead and watch from there.

Bixler 2 FPV 3km Run (13 min 5 sec)

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:08 AM
"long stretch of water..."
Australia, NSW, Stuarts Point
Joined Jun 2014
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Another 'personal best' for my Bixler2 FPV/UAV
First 41/2 minutes are kind of dark so skip ahead and watch from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCR_...-WDIASXz4dSPpw

Cheers,
Geoff
Great video Geoff...

The B2 sure is a great FPV platform.

Pat
coongoola is offline Find More Posts by coongoola