HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Help!
Low Voltage warning in iCharger 306B when plugging in balance port, please help

Hello,
I've been having some issues with my iCharger 306B when trying to charge my Turnigy Nano-Tech 4500 4s batteries.
The manual says that when the charger shows low voltage, it's the source battery. I use a power station and my car battery and they both give the same warning. I unplug the battery and balance port about 5-10 times and it will finally work. I've lowered the charge rate to 5 amps and still the same thing. It happens with 20% left in the batteries or just flying for one minute and put the battery on the charger and still says low voltage.

Does anyone have any solutions.
Thanks
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
Have you made any adjustments to the input voltage lower protection limit? At what voltage is it currently set?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I got it, it wa saying main port 4s ? Then when I pushed start is when it would say low voltage.
I tried one more time and plugged in the battery first then the balance plug and main port 4s was not flashing.
Maybe I was plugging it in wrong and the battery has to be plugged in first then the balance plug then push start.
I hope that's what my issue was. I'm kinda new to electric R/C and the manual didn't state that the main plug has to be connected before the balance plug, but I'll do it from now on and hopefully not have any more problems.
Thanks
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
The order in which main lead and balance lead are plugged in does not matter. Per iCharger, the preferred method is balance first, followed by main discharge lead.

What connector are you using for your main discharge lead? It sounds as though you have a bad plug, solder joint, or connection with your charger output lead.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:16 AM
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined Nov 2011
71 Posts
What is the "Exact" error from the screen of the charger....The reason I ask is because it is not clear if the error is because the supply voltage is low...or you have a cell below 3 V.
Can you charge without the balance function on?

sts41
sts41 is offline Find More Posts by sts41
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
If it doesn't matter what is plugged in first then maybe I still have a problem
The warning said " BATTERY CHECK, LOW VOLTAGE"
Which means:
"Without using the balance port, the cell count detected by the charger is
less than that set by the user.
Please check the cell count of the battery pack"

But I don't get it because it's on auto and when I usually go from charging 3s to 4s I just plug it in and it will say 3s or 4s. And is says that when I plug in the balance plug and from what I gather of the meaning it would say that when the balance plug is not connected, but it happens when I connect the balance plug.
If I try to do a regular charge without balancing and not plugging the balance plug in, when I go to start the charge it comes back with the same " BATTERY CHECK, LOW VOLTAGE"

I still haven't figured out how to get the charger to work with the computer.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
Have you measured the total pack voltage with a known accurate DMM via the main discharge connector when this error is encountered? Also, have you measured individual cell voltage within your pack when this error is encountered?

Sounds like you may have some mistreated (overdischarged) packs.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,750 Posts
Also try the monitor function in the iCharger and compare results. The battery pack may have an actual low voltage cell or there may be a faulty balance connection on the battery or charger.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
The pack are new with only 3 charges each. Ran them down to 80% every time.
The voltages of each cell are fine. I don't remember the numbers.

I even took a fully charged battery and flew for 2 minutes (I usually get 10) and put it on the charger to test out and it also said low voltage.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
Have seen a similar problem and it was a bad track on a balance board

Changed the balance board and problem went away

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Don't know if this is the problem or not but when I hook up using the Paraboard it charges fine.
I got some banana plugs online to make the deans connector since the charger didn't come with one. I only stripped the wires and put them into the banana plugs and tightened the screw. Maybe I was supposed to solder the wire into the plugs and the screw is just for extra protection if the wire is pulled. I'll solder the wires tomorrow and hopefully that's the issue. My batteries are new and charged correctly so I know it's not the batteries. When I plug in my smaller 3s batteries with the JST plug they charge fine. It's only the deans cable I made, so I'm now thinking that's gotta be it.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:52 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track and may have confirmed my suspicion in post #4 above. Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Got it, I pulled the wires out from the banana connector and soldered them and all is good now. Thanks
Old May 04, 2012, 08:44 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Don't know if this is the problem or not but when I hook up using the Paraboard it charges fine.
I got some banana plugs online to make the deans connector since the charger didn't come with one. I only stripped the wires and put them into the banana plugs and tightened the screw. Maybe I was supposed to solder the wire into the plugs and the screw is just for extra protection if the wire is pulled. I'll solder the wires tomorrow and hopefully that's the issue. My batteries are new and charged correctly so I know it's not the batteries. When I plug in my smaller 3s batteries with the JST plug they charge fine. It's only the deans cable I made, so I'm now thinking that's gotta be it.
well i cant charge with the paraboard,it tells me low voltage error!!!!!!!!
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old May 04, 2012, 09:51 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Ben you need to provide a lot more details after you have done some process of elimination testing.

Does the problem battery charge corewctly when connected directlt to the charger?

Have you checked the battery while connected to paraboard such as using monitor mode to insure all cells are being detected?

Have you checked all of the leads , main leads to bullets to paraboard, balancing leads header to charger to paraboard?

Are you positive you have not connected a LiPoly to the wrong cell count connector or reverse connected it?

Simple fact is the more connections bewteen the charger and the LiPoly the more points of possible problems exist.

Most time it comes down to a bad power leads on balancing leads connection.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer