HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:38 PM
tishomingo,oklahoma
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
h+h...........what is the size and kv of the factory motor upgrade?..........also what is the amp rating of the esc?......thamks....paul
pault is offline Find More Posts by pault
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:22 AM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Paul, I honestly have no idea. There are no markings on the factory motors or esc to give me any info at all. I can tell you that the motors are 17mm in diameter and the esc's are probably 15 to 18 amps judging from their size.

After an inititial test hop today I didn't notice any major improvement in power or performance over the brushed motors but I would not jump to conclusions yet. I need more time with it.
Adding two ESC's to the airframe does add some weight but I don't know how detrimental it is to performance.

I did not fly long enough to see if my flight times were better or worse than before and with the gusting, swirling winds today I was not flying it so much as I was avoiding crashing it.

I still believe the Sport version handles better than the Military version though
BTW, The brushless motors get awful hot too.

Also Hobby people has a new lipo that is 1200mah and looks to be about the same size as the stock 850mah. I'll do more research on that on Monday.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
tishomingo,oklahoma
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
h+h.........thanks for the reply........i definitly want to be in the loop after you fly it in good flying conditions...i guess i was waiting for the brushless set up to be the miracle cure for the x-350...please more info....pault
pault is offline Find More Posts by pault
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
paul, I was thinking about your power loss problem and I have a suggestion that may help if you haven't checked already.

When i was flying yesterday I had a mishap and stuffed my heli a little. When I tried to take off again I had little power and noticed that the top blade was spinning much slower than the bottom blade.
I thought I may have a damaged motor but after inspection I noticed that the set screws for the inner shaft that attach to the main gear had lost grip allowing the shaft to slip.
I tightened the screws and all is well again.

I flew the X350 more last night in better conditions and still feel about the same. No major performance increase. Maybe a little smoother. Time will tell if they last longer but I'e had good luck with my brushed motors...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
paul, I was thinking about your power loss problem and I have a suggestion that may help if you haven't checked already.

When i was flying yesterday I had a mishap and stuffed my heli a little. When I tried to take off again I had little power and noticed that the top blade was spinning much slower than the bottom blade.
I thought I may have a damaged motor but after inspection I noticed that the set screws for the inner shaft that attach to the main gear had lost grip allowing the shaft to slip.
I tightened the screws and all is well again.

I flew the X350 more last night in better conditions and still feel about the same. No major performance increase. Maybe a little smoother. Time will tell if they last longer but I'e had good luck with my brushed motors...
I was wondering if CarlP is currently reading this thread so, you guys can compare notes. As I mentioned before I am not so lucky with the brushed B motor I need a new one (third in a row) or install the HK BL.
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,485 Posts
A tight pinion to gear mesh will burn your motor out in short order. Not to mention short flight times. Check my blog for proper mesh. Does anyone fly Aero~Nuts motors in these helis?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
A tight pinion to gear mesh will burn your motor out in short order. Not to mention short flight times. Check my blog for proper mesh. Does anyone fly Aero~Nuts motors in these helis?

Mike.
Thanks Mike for your suggestions. Both motors are getting really hot after 3-4 mins flight, although the battery still has a lot of juice. I have a timer mounted on the Tx for 5 mins. Unfortunately, you must order the pair if one motor is busted and this is $29.99 plus shipping. This is going to be my second order although I have for two months now the HK BL conversion which cost me delivered $54 vs $139 plus shipping the X350 BL. The problem is I have not done it before and since the weather is good when I have free time I want to fly instead of modding.
I will check the pinion to gear mesh on my next install. Personally I do not know anything about the Aero-Nuts motors and not heard anything in this thread.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Aero-nuts used to sell some good quality brushed motors, but they have switched to all brushless now. You can still find their motors around if you look real hard. They also sell another motor that's higher quality than most OEM motors: http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_rev...&reviews_id=33. I've used them on a Lama V4 with excellent results. They like low resistance, so I don't know how well they would work in this application.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Aero-nuts used to sell some good quality brushed motors, but they have switched to all brushless now. You can still find their motors around if you look real hard. They also sell another motor that's higher quality than most OEM motors: http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_rev...&reviews_id=33. I've used them on a Lama V4 with excellent results. They like low resistance, so I don't know how well they would work in this application.
Thanks, good to know. BTW the x-350 brushed motors suck
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I just got a closer look at those x350 motors. Holly crap...$33.00 for a pair.

The pinion gears don't look like the same as Aero~Nuts (i wonder what the tooth count is?). Especially the "A" motor where the pinion gear looks real low. Not to mention you would have to solder the x350 connections onto the Aero~Nuts.

Balr, you mentioned Aero~Nuts "like" low resistance. Does that mean the x350 motors are a "high" resistance motor? Tell me more please Would that explain the high cost of these motors? These are interesting 180 motors.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I was wondering if CarlP is currently reading this thread so, you guys can compare notes. As I mentioned before I am not so lucky with the brushed B motor I need a new one (third in a row) or install the HK BL.
You should be able to install the BL in an evening if you have all the parts.
I installed the factory BL set and a new shaft set in less than an hour.
One thing to make sure is that you keep the botton motor from directly touching the plastic mounting surface. (the motor can get very hot) The factory setup provides a piece of PC board material in between the motor and the bottom plate to block the heat.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:24 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
One more thing. When I was out at the club field flying my 90" Aeroworks Cessna 195 I brought along my X350 Sport to fly in a BIG Area. YAY!
I can tell you this much. I did notice a remarkable difference when I ran the Cheetah 35C pack vs. the stock 22C Factory Lipo.
the BL setup seems to be able to make use of the Higher C rating of the Aftermarket battery.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
You should be able to install the BL in an evening if you have all the parts.
I installed the factory BL set and a new shaft set in less than an hour.
One thing to make sure is that you keep the botton motor from directly touching the plastic mounting surface. (the motor can get very hot) The factory setup provides a piece of PC board material in between the motor and the bottom plate to block the heat.
Well, I do have all parts but it will take more than one evening to do it. I have to buy a good soldering gun first then practice, practice, practice.. before get down to the real business. Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words. I will keep you posted.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you have the factory BL wiring harness? It'll make things so much easier.

http://www.hhhobbies.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=515
Last edited by H&H; Aug 16, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you have the factory BL wiring harness? It'll make things so much easier.

http://www.hhhobbies.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=515
No I do not, and I do not know what this harness is for? Sorry, for my ignorance. I will post a pic when i get home of what I have. Thanks