HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:06 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Discussion
How do you transport your birds?

I ride a motorbike every where I go and have always secured my Radian in a trailer I tow behind, but I've just bought a Phoenix and the Phoenix doesn't disassemble easily into its original box like the Radian does. Any thoughts as to where one could get a large carrying case for a phoenix? I was imagining getting an aluminum camera case or similar but can't find anything.

The wingspan of the Phoenix is about 2m (80in) and while the wings are fairly easy to take off the two wing halves don't come apart particularly easily. Just wondering what other people do. Do you guys generally carry your birds loose in the back of your cars or do you have something that you carry them in? And any idea where I could get a secure carrying case from?

Thanks.
S.Bartfast is offline Find More Posts by S.Bartfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:11 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
wow, a fellow adelaidian! From where do you hail? Im in Salisbury

I put mine in the back of my car, I have a WH statesman so it's got plenty of room in the back seat. Im not sure having a large carrying case to put the plane in would make things any easier. A large case with the plane in it is still going to be a little bigger than the plane itself, and a lot heavier.
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:42 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
I'm in Blackwood, and just getting into this game.

The size and weight doesn't worry me, it's the tying down that has me concerned. The trailer I use is an open trailer (converted from a 'kite buggy') and while it's fine to tie down boxes with bungee straps lashing down a Styrofoam plane would be bound to lead to tears and disappointment.

Here's a picture of my bike and trailer loaded up with kites for the weekend:

I don't have the front wheel attached when I'm taking the glider and just lay the box across the top, tying it down with straps. It works fairly well, I just need a box
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:28 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
S : Slarti?

Welcome, fellow rider. My best friend from college now lives up in Norton Summit. Got to visit a few years ago..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:47 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
S : Slarti?

Welcome, fellow rider. My best friend from college now lives up in Norton Summit. Got to visit a few years ago..
..a
Arrr, Norton Summit!

There's a really steep rode in Norton Summit called "Woodland Way". My mates and I make our way up to the Norton Summit Hotel sometimes, then head down Woodland Way. We call it the "Rim of the Earth" run as when you come over the crest the road just drops away beneath you and you can see the expanse of the city spread out below. It really gives you a sensation of stepping off the edge of the world. It's pretty cool. I like to switch the engine off and kind of 'fly' over the edge.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:08 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,867 Posts
I have a 2007 Honda Pilot and everything fits in it... even a Hangar 9 33% Piper Pawnee. I have to get creative sometimes but so far, so good.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Haha.
When you said "2007 Honda Pilot" I was thinking "What's that, I'm not failure with those, is that like the Honda Blackbird or something?

I Googled, and now I see. It's nothing like the black Bird :P
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
We call it the "Rim of the Earth" run..
Interesting. Looking at the map, I think we took N.S. Rd and old N.S. Rd, but never that one. He was a rider back in those days, but don't think he ever bought a bike down under.
I ride two FZ1's (Fazer to you?), btw - an 01 and an 07.
..a
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
How about a rifle case for transporting guns.
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:57 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
How about a rifle case for transporting guns.
That's a good thought. I actually looked up rifle cases as well but the longest I could find was 1.2m. Then when I thought about it it would be very unusual to ever have a rifle as long as 2m, and if ever you did it would shorley have it's own custom case.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:21 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You need bigger guns..
..a
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined May 2008
176 Posts
Possibly build your own case from correx or other light material. You could design it to be protective and snug fit also protecting your gear.
Terry Pieters is offline Find More Posts by Terry Pieters
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:32 PM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pieters View Post
Possibly build your own case from correx or other light material. You could design it to be protective and snug fit also protecting your gear.
This is what I was thinking. I have a pick-up with a back seat. Everything I have fits back there (not all at once). I have thought about if I got something giant scale that doesn't disassemble easily, I would stick it in the bed of the truck and cover it with some sort of cargo net.

I think the build your own custom box would be the way to go. I'd consider a frame made of some wooden or fiberglass dowels and then glue or screw some sort of siding to them. Coroplast comes to mind. (That is what we used for our political road signs in the States). It is basically the same as a corogated shipping cardboard box, but it is made of plastic.

Then stuff the box with soft foam, custom made for your plane. A little work to be sure, but customizable to your needs and lightweight.
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
It's sad but true that a minivan is the ultimate RC hauler. A guy I used to fly real planes with had one when we were both in our 20s. I could never figure it out. Then one day he came to the airport with the back filled with gas and nitro models.
donmei is offline Find More Posts by donmei
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:48 PM
Culver City, Ca
Joined Mar 2009
102 Posts
I have the link set to look at sport cases, but they have all kind of Aluminum cases:
http://www.aluminium-case.cn/Aluminum_Sport_Case.htm

Fox7
Fox7 is offline Find More Posts by Fox7