SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stockport
Joined Sep 2007
31 Posts
Discussion
parkzone t-28 thrust angle

Hi all,

My T-28 has had a rough week! First, I was woken the other night to find that someone had broken into my garage and was walking down my back garden with the T-28 under their arm! Fortunately they dropped it when I banged on the window, and they did a runner. It now probably has the unique distinction of being the only t-28 which has been fingerprinted!

Then tonight I went to fly. When I got to my flying field it was clearly too windy, but....I flew it anyway. On approach to landing at about 15 feet the wind changed direction and a strong gust flipped the trojan over coausing a nose first entry. The damage is not bad at all, nothing that a bit of epoxy and tape didn't fix in a few minutes. One of the 4 lugs on the motor mount has snapped though, so I've just ordered another. Looking at the plane, you can see the foam on one side of the fuse at the front has compressed ever so slightly as one of the decals is now slightly "rippled"

When I fit my new mount I want to make sure that this compression hasn't altered the angle of thrust significantly.

Does anyone know what the angle of thrust should be, and can anyone tell me a good way to measure it?

Thanks

Jem
jem6669 is offline Find More Posts by jem6669
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Mar 2011
288 Posts
I don't think it is all that critical with this plane. Just put it back together, make sure that nothing is going to come loose, and go fly. Eventually it will be your beater/backup plane that you won't be afraid to fly if the weather is bad or you break something else.

I ripped the wing off of my T-28D once and ripped off the nose behind the firewall twice (and vertical stab that third crash). Two days after the 3rd crash it was flight worthy. The nose did get a little shorter playing lawn dart twice, but I just tighted up the clevis for the front wheel so it steered straight.

It still flies fine today. When I accidentally chopped its canopy working the sticks (oops, including throttle) after I let go of it following a prop test, I took that as an opportunity to mount a keyfob camera. I screwed a plastic milk bottle cap secured with foam safe CA to the seatback and use Velcro to attach the camera.

Repair parts since new: 2 cowls, 1 motor mount (less than $20 total) plus white Gorilla glue, Testers gray paint stick, blue or black Sharpie.
efflandt is offline Find More Posts by efflandt
Last edited by efflandt; Jun 25, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:02 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Yep it is not that critical i think. I also list my nose, exactly like Efflandt. It has even more downthrust and a bit less right thrust. But i can't realy say that i noticed a difference. The only difference was the weight of the tape and glue :P
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I'd assume it's 3* of down and right.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..