HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:38 AM
Southern UK
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
Tiger 1 Paint colours

Hi
This is my first post on here so id like to start by saying hello.
My first question is about paint colours for my new Heng Long tiger tank. I would like to keep to the early production tiger and would welcome any ideas people have about paints to use. If possible I would like to use tamiya for one reason I can find it localy.
I have seen on here that XF60 is a good base coat but what other colours would I need to do a reasonable camoflage pattern for the European theatre.
I realise this is not a one answer question but I would welcome any ideas.

many thanks
10 Horse Mclaren is offline Find More Posts by 10 Horse Mclaren
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:05 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,005 Posts
Many colors were used by the Germans in WWII. The most common camouflage colors were the mustard yellow base, red/brown, and a medium green. Some great patterns can be found with a bit of research. Pick what you like and have fun with it. Non-camouflage color was the standard medium grey.
GreenAmphibian is online now Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
Not many Production Tigers were painted with Dunkelgrau RAL7021 as it was superseded by RAL 7028 in February '43. The disruptive colors RAL 6003 and RAL 8017 were first issued as pastes which the crews mixed with ditch water or gasoline and applied with mops, brushes or tree branches in the field. Later, the colors were applied at the depot level and in the end at the factory if memory serves.

I don't currently have access to my color cross-references so look up the RALs and compare them with a tamiya color chart and select the ones that you like.
swathdiver is offline Find More Posts by swathdiver
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:13 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,755 Posts
The DAK Painting Guide http://http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK2/DAK_PAINTING_GUIDE.html is a great help I painted mine in desert colors using the guide and I was pleased with the results. It has techniques you can apply to any color patern.

Here are some nice schemes
http://www.alanhamby.com/paint.shtml
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
One thing to remember when painting German tigers is that most of them did not live long lives; they were usually lost for one reason or another after only a few months of service. Check the unit history of the group you wish to model yours after and you can visit www.tiif.de for pictures.
swathdiver is offline Find More Posts by swathdiver
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:52 AM
Southern UK
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts
Thank you all for the ideas and links. It looks like XF-60 for a base and then a couple of colours over the top to form the disruptive paint. I get the same kind of problems painting vintage vehicles given that any referance photos are as a rule black and white. Any photos that are colour are at the whim of the photo emulsion used and the chap that printed the pictures many years ago.

All said some very interesting links and a good bit of reading to be had. I will post a couple of pictures of the Tiger once its a bit closer to done.

Cheers
10 Horse Mclaren is offline Find More Posts by 10 Horse Mclaren