HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2014, 07:08 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
Build Log
Osiris 2M Prototype Build

November 2014: Build Log 1

So, having become one of the luckiest guys in the world, I was able to obtain one of the mythical 3DHS 2M Osiris prototypes! I am planning on working on this throughout the winter, so please don't expect miracles on progress. But I want to document a build on what looks to be a great pattern airplane that never was...

This first round of pictures is to just basically compare it to the original 62" 3DHS Osiris. As you look at these two side by side you can just see how massive it is. You can see the 2M next to the V1 and even without the gear it is larger than the V1 that is on the gear!

I am planning to fly it with:

Hacker A60-7S V2
10S
Prop- need some ideas please
Castle Phoenix Ice2 HV 120
Castle 20 amp BEC
Rudder- Futaba S9156
Ailerons - Futaba S9551
Elevators - Futaba S9650
Spektrum 8 ch DSMX

Started on the stabilizers/elevators and the servos fit perfectly, with everything matching up to fine precision. However, I don't like CA hinges and they will be replaced with Robart 3/16 hinges. Wish me luck. Will show the elevator mods when the parts come from Tower and F3AU.
kdunlap is offline Find More Posts by kdunlap
Last edited by kdunlap; Nov 01, 2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
Build Log 2

Here's the right horizontal stabilizer half. Servos fit perfectly. Screw holes align perfectly. Yesterday, I generously coated the interior frame with thin CA. The servos slid right in with little, if any pressure. Note the two reinforcement tabs that serve as a front and aft brace. There is a CF tube that runs nearly the length of the stabilizer. Also, they included an anti rotation pin. The incidence is fixed.
Last edited by kdunlap; Nov 01, 2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old Nov 02, 2014, 05:25 AM
United States, PA, New Tripoli
Joined Sep 2010
253 Posts
Congrats on your prestigious acquisition. I will be following this build. Take your time and good luck
aviatortom is online now Find More Posts by aviatortom
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
84 Posts
I may be mistaken but I believe the most sought after current iteration of AJ's is the 2M Proteus. It has a composite fuse rather than the Osiris series which are all built-up.
TN Walker is offline Find More Posts by TN Walker
Old Nov 02, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
I'd certainly like one of those too!
Old Nov 03, 2014, 01:24 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
760 Posts
The 2M Osiris is a very nice flying pattern plane, I got to fly one for several flights. Unfortunately it never went into production. That is too bad, I bet they would have sold a bunch of those ARFs.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Nov 03, 2014, 03:56 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Walker View Post
I may be mistaken but I believe the most sought after current iteration of AJ's is the 2M Proteus. It has a composite fuse rather than the Osiris series which are all built-up.
Different animal all together. The 2M Osiris was intended to be a lower cost entry point into Pattern yet maintain an excellent set of flight characteristics.

While I have no idea if the Proteus was ever envisioned as being widely distributed (that was before the formation of AJ-Aircraft), it was designed as a world class model capable of winning the Worlds. It never did that but it did win two US Nationals and some of us were lucky enough to get our hands on one even if it was slightly used....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Nov 03, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
84 Posts
Zeeb, you are indeed fortunate! I've seen several fly of them fly and they are impressive.
TN Walker is offline Find More Posts by TN Walker
Old Nov 06, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
3/16 Pin Hinges

Tonight I tried to install the 3/16 hinges into the right elevator half. Looks like these are way too big for the surfaces. Going to now try 1/8". Will let you know how this works..

Upadate: tried the 1/8" Robart hinges without any luck. The surface are just too thin/narrow to plug in a round hinge. Will be going to the LHS to get a couple of flat hinges. Will try on both elevator half and see if this works. There was no way to use a Robart without an extensive rebuild. Trust me I tried very hard to make these work. No luck. Photos mid week when I get the new hinges installed.
Last edited by kdunlap; Nov 09, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
Elevator Build Part 2.

So, not being a fan of CA hinges for whatever reason, I tried Robart pin hinges. As fate would have it, there is just not enough wood structure to sink these into. I tried using a carbon fibre rod to serve as a mount for the hinge - to in effect extend the internal area in which the hinge could be glued to - and no luck. I then went and bought a slot cutting tool and installed Dubro standard hinges with gorilla glue. (BTW gorilla was perfect. I tried on some scrap and you can't pull the hinge out!) I went to a 4 hinge setup. This worked rather well and I have a very very small hinge gap. I get 45 degrees plus deflection up and down.

That's the good news, the bad news is that the pre-machine holes for the servo mounting screws are not as perfectly aligned in the factory as I thought. See the before and after pictures below. While the slot cut for the servo wire is great, it is a bit too big. So when I put the screws in (the smallest I could find) they split the wood. Need some ideas on fixing this. I have some Ohio Superstar all thread tubes, that I am going to epoxy in place. That's for tomorrow.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
Finished Elevator Build

As i thought through mounting the elevator servos on the thin rails that are in each elevator half, it occurred to me that a fiberglass platform could be built up on the remaining wood and that would serve as a good foundation for the mounting screws. So I layered over the course of two nights 2 layers of some heavy fiberglass cloth onto the servo mounts. Then I pulled out the dremel tool and cut and smooth to the proper size and smoothness. The Futaba servos fit in place very nicely and screwed in tightly. If this kit ever would go into production, I would recommend that the stab airfoil be slightly thicker to allow for better access and for a wider plywood servo mount.

The rest of the build was pretty straight forward. I used Secraft turnbuckle rods, 3MM ball links and Secraft Futaba servo arms to round things out. For set up I do a couple of things on my pattern planes. For the elevator horn, after I get the hole in the arm centered exactly over the hinge line, I break out the micrometer and measure from the hinge gap to the hole. I then use this measurement on the other elevator half to position that horn. Next, I set the control rods to exactly the same length to the nearest .01 mm. That keeps the movement geometry the same for the control surface. Then after everything is identical, I make any adjustments to the surface through sub-trim. This of course will introduce a slight offset between L/R surfaces. I have found that the use of a slight amount of differential will line up the movement of both surfaces. Did this on my Mythos125E and worked like a champ.

Finished weights:
L stab: 135 g
R stab: 140 g

Here are some pictures of the build. Once again, F3AU saved me!!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:09 PM
United States, PA, New Tripoli
Joined Sep 2010
253 Posts
Glad you were able to save the servo mounts. All looks good and as the saying goes... all's well that ends well.
aviatortom is online now Find More Posts by aviatortom
Old Nov 25, 2014, 01:49 PM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
124 Posts
That is a really long servo arm and will result in some huge throws for a pattern plane. I wind up opening the slot in the stab and running a much shorter arm. Doesn't look as pretty but flies much smoother. You won't see it on the bottom anyway.
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Old Nov 26, 2014, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
My intention is to set the throw on the elevator at +/- 9 degrees through the radio. This will be the high rate. Mid and low rate will probably be closer to +/- 5 degrees. My goal in this setup was to have exactly a 90 degree bend between the servo arm and the control rod. I am trying to match the geometry between the L/R elevator halves so I don't induce a roll through uneven elevator movement. Depending on how this feels, I will certainly take your advice and shorten the servo arm. Trying to be conservative on this build. But appreciate the advice.

Tonight I am working on the wings and should have them done by tomorrow. Pictures after the turkey dinner!!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2005
58 Posts
Anthonyr, I've been thinking about your comment overnight and I am wondering about what you said. .. Are you saying that you should limit control throw mechanically and not through the radio? Would appreciate more of your thoughts and hope that other might chime in. Thanks,
Ken