HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:58 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
here is my 2 different attempts to make for a better tail wheel steering system on the eltrostick, i don't think i want to use the wheel set up with spring cause i would have a hard time getting the rudder and elevator off the plane if needed. so iam thinking the wire setup with out the spring.
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Last edited by scottc39; Aug 24, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, GA, Ochlocknee
Joined Jul 2006
68 Posts
Looks good, here is what mine looks like.
Henry
Henry Sistrunk is offline Find More Posts by Henry Sistrunk
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:01 PM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
I went to fly my new Stik today and found I have the screeching motor as mentioned previously. So now what?? Everything is stock and I expected it to fly right out of the box. I come home and start searching and find this Thread...wish I had found it before I bought the plane. Will swapping the ESC for a better brand or higher rating solve the problem? If this is a known problem why does Great Planes sell this junk and expect me to remain a future customer?? I an just a bit ticked off that this issue hasn't been resolved at the factory.
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:07 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
if i rember on my first eltrostik the screecking would happen when i tryed 4 cells, how many cells are you running, check thru this posting to see if it was the motor or the esc.
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:24 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXStickman View Post
I went to fly my new Stik today and found I have the screeching motor as mentioned previously. So now what?? Everything is stock and I expected it to fly right out of the box. I come home and start searching and find this Thread...wish I had found it before I bought the plane. Will swapping the ESC for a better brand or higher rating solve the problem? If this is a known problem why does Great Planes sell this junk and expect me to remain a future customer?? I an just a bit ticked off that this issue hasn't been resolved at the factory.
Assuming you bought it new, contact the vendor you purchased it from first, it is a known issue and many people have got replacement parts shipped to them from GP.

If your vendor you bought it from does not want to help, call GP direct.

I'm actually working on mine today, had a mid-air with another guy a few weeks ago and we both landed safely with minor damage. Still love this plane is has given me the confidence to go bigger, and faster!

Sorry to hear about the issues, but once you get it going you will love it.

- S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:28 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
GP is aware of the trouble of "this esc with this motor" yet still have those combos for at least 2 planes that I'm aware of. This one's even worse because it can be had as a RXR plane.

If you call them they will replace the motor OR esc for you for free. A "different esc will probably fix it and maybe even a "different" 1000kv motor will too.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I called the hobby shop where I bought it and described the symptoms and referenced this web site. They said they would call GP on Monday and get the problem resolved. It does sound like a simple timing issue, yet the ESC is non-programmable, except for the brake. The prop that came with the setup is a 11x8.5 E , and I am running a 3s 3300mah battery.

Gentle throttle it works fine, quick throttle it stops and screams...scared the heck out of my cat!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,263 Posts
Updated specs

Figured since there has been some activity I'd post my most recent specs.

I used a Eagle Tree and the internal logging of the Castle controller and came out about the same

This was a static test on the ground. Actual flight time is 5-7 min depending on throttle management

Turnigy Nano-tec 4S 3300Mah
Castle Creations Ice 75
Great Planes Rimfire 32
Xoar 12x7 Wood Electric prop

Max AMPs 41.81
Max Watts 638

Motor specs out for 50 AMP continuous might have to go to a 13x8

Hope it helps, - S
Last edited by -S-; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:53 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses. I called the hobby shop where I bought it and described the symptoms and referenced this web site. They said they would call GP on Monday and get the problem resolved. It does sound like a simple timing issue, yet the ESC is non-programmable, except for the brake. The prop that came with the setup is a 11x8.5 E , and I am running a 3s 3300mah battery.

Gentle throttle it works fine, quick throttle it stops and screams...scared the heck out of my cat!
Good to hear, It's a pain, but I'm sure it will get taken care of, GP and it vendors have always done me right when there has been an issue.

Good luck you will love it!

- S
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:51 AM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Jan 2012
65 Posts
Stickman. See my response in message 286. GP did send me another esc but it did not fix the problem. Subsequently I installed the esc listed in that post and it works great. No more screeching. I just used the Stik esc in another plane and it worked fine. Also, check the nut on the prop. If not tight the prop could slip and squeal.
mpalexa is offline Find More Posts by mpalexa
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Ordered an Electrostick the other day. Only got the ARF version. Going to use the Electrifly ES80 servos. I have a 42x50 500kv motor and a 60A ESC to put in it. The motor came off of a really heavy foamy Corsair (about 70 oz) so Im thinking it should be enough power. But I have a small issue. Im unsure what prop size to run. I have the 4 bladed prop set up that came with the motor and provides a ton of thrust. I think its a 14x8. Im gonna run with it like that for starters. But would like some in put as to what else I could possible try with a standard prop for length and pitch. I plan on running 4S 3000 and 3300 40C lipos.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
SilverState RC is offline Find More Posts by SilverState RC
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:41 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
14x12 might give you similar performance as we are getting with the "stock rxr" components. I'm sure your motor and esc can handle quite a bit more prop if you desire hotter performance.

It is a strange feeling when my skills lag behind the available equipment.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalexa View Post
Stickman. See my response in message 286. GP did send me another esc but it did not fix the problem. Subsequently I installed the esc listed in that post and it works great. No more screeching. I just used the Stik esc in another plane and it worked fine. Also, check the nut on the prop. If not tight the prop could slip and squeal.
The hobby shop where I bought it is swapping me another ESC...a 50 AMP and from a different manufacturer. I will get it tomorrow, but won't be able to fly it until Friday. I would much prefer another brand anyway...hate the safety sequence of the ElectriFly Silver Series 45.

The prop nut was checked at the field after the first screech! Thanks for the tip. Will give an update after flying Friday.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:18 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalexa View Post
Which other plane/motor are you having success with the ss45?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Jan 2012
65 Posts
I put the ss45 in my Sensei when I upgraded the motor to the Value Hobby G10. I then put the Sensei esc in my Bixler. No sense wasting functioning components. Everything works pretty good and stays cool.
mpalexa is offline Find More Posts by mpalexa